Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver madness!

Silver madness!

I was just looking at ebay and their are people paying as much as 30 dollars over spot for silver eagles. Are they crazy?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post
    I was just looking at ebay and their are people paying as much as 30 dollars over spot for silver eagles. Are they crazy?

Its been kind of weird for a while now. It seems to be selling above what the market quotes everywhere. 30 is way up there though.

Apmex are selling theirs 7 dollars over spot. To me that's BS.

I think these guy are about average or a little higher. That's the way its been.

http://www.blanchardonline.com/blanc...n_overview.php

Someone posted a page with a bunch of dealers compared. I think this is it.

https://comparesilverprices.com/

25. The dollar amount over spot sometimes varies over time on your bullion coins. Why is this figure not constant?

If you notice the difference between our buy and sell (the “spread”) is relatively constant but is subject to change with changing trading conditions. The dollar amount relative to spot will vary with the trader’s physical position. This happens because we hold the real coins and bars in inventory. When our trader’s position is too high he charges less and sells for less. When his inventory position is too low he charges more and pays more. That is why the actual price we charge over spot may drift over time. Also keep in mind that the difference or spread between bullion products may change, especially if markets are volatile.

http://www.golddealer.com/investment...tions-answers/

Well, value is subjective and the price will be what the market will bear. (1)Physical possession has more value to those who don't trust a piece of paper that says they own silver. (2)Strong hands prevent velocity of physical. (3)there could be far more receipts of silver ownership than actual silver, meaning spot price is devalued do to fractionation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Forget what I posted above. It's probably new investors not diligent in finding the best prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Well, value is subjective and the price will be what the market will bear. (1)Physical possession has more value to those who don't trust a piece of paper that says they own silver. (2)Strong hands prevent velocity of physical. (3)there could be far more receipts of silver ownership than actual silver, meaning spot price is devalued do to fractionation.
    I think that was part of what happened back in the 80's. People had to put up or shut up and the price went through the roof. It was about $2.00 and a few years later $48.00.

Some blame the Hunt Brothers. I was cool with them.

Basically the Hunt brothers had this great idea to start buying silver in the early 70's, they started buying silver as low as a 2 dollars an ounce.
    As it went up, they kept buying. The bought thru the Futures markets > they'd place buy orders for 5000 oz contracts and then pay in fulll and take delivery of the silver.
    In 1979 silver went parabolic, from 6, 7 to 10, 15, and as 1980 began, very rich traders were about to bankrupt in the comex from their short silver positions. The Comex along with the federal gov conspired a plan to demonize and ruin the HUNTs.
    Unfortunately for the Hunts, at the end of silvers run, they had become greedy and were using enormous leverage of billions of borrowed dollars to purchase silver contracts. When the silver collapsed, the HUNTS had a billion dollar margin call they couldn't pay. And it was OVER, they were ruined. The FEDS charged them with federal crime and haulded them before Congress to testify and be publically scourged verbally by lawmakers. Silver dropped 10 bucks in one day back on silver Thursday. Vast fortunes were made and lost in that episode.
    The short sellers gained the upper hand and reaped billions in profits.

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=76324

More info for you collective Hunt Brothers out there.

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=60292

I remember something about the government freezing trading and messing with the dealing leaving some holding the bag.

Silver Thursday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

About the same time the central bank counterfeiting was really kicking in and messing with peoples minds everywhere. Gas prices in the seventies kicked off the new reality.

Timeless.

My local guy had silver Eagles week before last about $5 over spot , he marks them up a buck over his cost , he did not really want to order a bunch , but needed some to sell for regulars that use them for Christmas gifts , I think he picked up a couple hundred , they are gone . I would probably check into the Canadian mint $20 face value price before buying any Eagles at these prices .....

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    About the same time the central bank counterfeiting was really kicking in and messing with peoples minds everywhere. Gas prices in the seventies kicked off the new reality.

Timeless.
    Oil is up nearly $10 here just recent , gas prices will probably start to move up about tomorrow or next delivery .

Its not BS. It's called market operations.

Since the Indian's banned gold imports the population has turned to silver much more then normal. Silver imports are up 10% and rising.

10% doesn't seem like a lot but silver is one of the tightest, if not the tightest, day to day supply of any commodity in the world.

Silver also has the largest paper to physical spread of any traded commodity. It's ludicrous the amount of paper derivatives created per ounce of silver.

The Indians buy one thing. PHYSICAL.

Supply is tight. Very, very tight.

"Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

for "brilliant uncirculated" bullion, or MS-## graded numismatics?

I think people are starting to realize the difference between physical silver and paper silver. That's why the prices are splitting. I own plenty of physical silver and I would be willing to sell if for significantly above spot. I've got junk 90% coins and also 99% troy oz shiny coins. I would be willing to let go of them for the right price if anyone wants to PM me. Total value is about $4000 at the current spot price.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

"I've got junk 90% coins"....I don't get into the collectors side of it...Silver IS SILVER. Not junk. Silver will sell for whatever its worth.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1 thing is for sure you will pay at least double what its worth on ebay...I just can't figure these people out that are buying it. Don't they realize a Morgan dollar is only worth 14$?...They are paying frikkin 40 dollars for them.

No one will sell for spot for coins, they always have a premium over spot. Also the paper market and metal market have been moving apart from each other in price for quite a while. Only a fool would sell their gold or silver for the spot price.

The Indians buy one thing. PHYSICAL.
    Yeah, but where do they get the money to buy physical. Most Indians are very poor.

Well I can understand a few bucks over spot but not frikkin 30.

I'll stick with buying it from merit over ebay its much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    for "brilliant uncirculated" bullion, or MS-## graded numismatics?
    You tell me.

ctiger2's link.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&LH_Complete=1

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Yeah, but where do they get the money to buy physical. Most Indians are very poor.
    It is considered an important investment , even by the working class.

Pfft , I picked up four AU silver Franklin Halves , A 1944 Canadian silver quarter, two 40 % silver San Francisco early 70's Ike's today for $44.60

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You tell me.

ctiger2's link.
    Link goes to a listing of SBSS minted rounds. There is a collectors premium (ie. numismatic premium) on those rounds. I saw them listed for ~15-20 over spot.

OP claimed $30 over spot for ASEs (American Eagles). I'm assuming he was looking at listing for proofs or graded coins, not bullion.

1 thing is for sure you will pay at least double what its worth on ebay...I just can't figure these people out that are buying it. Don't they realize a Morgan dollar is only worth 14$?...They are paying frikkin 40 dollars for them.
    I will not pay more than $25 or $30 for most , but about all I have would bring more than $30 ea, anything other than the most common dates ( 1921 etc) in XF or better will bring more than $30, they do though , go too high on e bay.

No I just seen a Morgan that was in bad shape,wore down that was going for 30....I did see a liberty eagle that had been circulated,it was wore down in bad shape and it went for 23....That was the closest I've seen to spot.

No I just seen a Morgan that was in bad shape,wore down that was going for 30....I did see a liberty eagle that had been circulated,it was wore down in bad shape and it went for 23....That was the closest I've seen to spot.
    $23 for a worn down Peace Dollar sounds high ( more than I would pay ) , but I would not be suprised..... there would be exceptions though ( date & mint ) , there are some that are very low mintage and difficult to find. Worst looking one I have is a 1921 ( very difficult to find for less than $100....)

India is a caste society of 1.3 billion people. The top 10% are wealthy and the top 1% are fabulously wealthy.

Break down those percetages.

The rich top 10% equal nearly half the US population.

That's a lot of rich folks.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

It's easier for computer non-savvy people to buy through eBay. eBay offers some comfort, knowing you can chargeback a purchase if you don't receive it; not to mention the ease of paying with PayPal.

If any of you think about becoming sellers on eBay though, keep in mind they don't do chit for the merchants. Do not do a buy it now sale ... make people bid. I've been on eBay since 1999 as a seller; and recently almost everyone of my crypto buy it now auctions have been purchased and within 30 minutes chargedback by the "buyer" saying they did not authorize use of their cards. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the Target hack; although the criminals do answer their e mails... So someone would have had to hack their credit card data and their e mail address at the same time.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast