http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...s_republi.html

Republican House leadership was among the topics discussed by Congressman Justin Amash at a town hall meeting on Tuesday.

The meeting was held at Springfield City Hall to discuss matters currently on the Congressional agenda with the public. A crowd of more than 20 attended, several of which identified themselves as supporters of Amash.

After his introduction, Amash opened up the floor for questions from the audience. Several questions asked were in relation to Obamacare and the government shutdown earlier this fall.

"I would have pushed really hard to avoid a shutdown if I was in leadership," Amash said. "The fact is the Speaker had a plan and he stuck to it and the Republican Congress was behind him. The Republican Congress from left to right stood behind the speaker."

Amash added that he thinks there is a false portrayal in the media regarding the cause for the Republican's hard stance against the funding of the Affordable Care Act.

"It's often portrayed as though a group of 20 or 30 Tea Party Republicans as they put it, held the speaker hostage and forced him to take a certain direction," Amash said. "That wasn't true at all. Trust me; if conservatives had that kind of power over speaker Boehner they would be doing a lot of other things too."

Amash's statement comes five days after House Speaker John Boehner made a widely reported statement that conservative groups criticizing the budget deal had lost credibility.

Amash said that regardless of his relationship with Republican leadership, he is not in support of Obamacare and will continue to vote "in the best interest" of his constituents.

"On the whole I think Obamacare is going to fall apart," Amash said. "I'm going to continue to push for a full repeal."