Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Multivitamin researchers say "case is closed" after studies find no health benefits"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “We believe that the case is closed -- supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful,”

If you are well-nourished you don't need to supplement.

Most of us are not well-nourished.

If you were scientist stoned out of your gourd on pharmaceuticals and other chemicals, or a college communications major, then you'd likely reach the same conclusion.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Loving the knee-jerk anti-science reactions.

This is reinforcing what the resident health experts always say - that there's no substitute for eating right and exercising. There just aren't any pills that can replace that.
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WM_in_MO View Post
    “We believe that the case is closed -- supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful,”

This is much like saying.... "Adults with their heads above water will find no clear benefit from using SCUBA diving equipment."

Depends on the multivitamin one takes. People need to do their own research and buy from reputable companies they can trust. I take a host of vitamins and minerals daily, from a company I researched and trust. I certainly do not trust Big pHARMa and therefore, I wouldn't trust vitamins and mineral supplements they put out--but that's just my opinion from research I have done. I have looked into Pfizer's Centrum vitamins. If you enjoy digesting rocks for your mineral source then by all means take it. Their stuff is just crap, IMHO. When taking minerals it is important to take plant derived colloidal minerals.

There is a huge vitamins and mineral deficiency in our soils, so if you think you can get it by eating healthy food it going to be really hard to do.
    ďThe spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.Ē ~ Rudolf Steiner

Related newsflash: Typical "multi-vitamins" sold at your neighborhood chain drug store are just as worthless as most American food.

These studies didn't look at the absorption of nutrients in the users, the types of deficiencies in their diets, or whether more targeted supplements do more than multivitamins.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

This is reinforcing what the resident health experts always say - that there's no substitute for eating right and exercising. There just aren't any pills that can replace that.
    Do you suffer from a lack of comprehension skills?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplechoe View Post
    Do you suffer from a lack of comprehension skills?

Did you read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    Related newsflash: Typical "multi-vitamins" sold at your neighborhood chain drug store are just as worthless as most American food.

These studies didn't look at the absorption of nutrients in the users, the types of deficiencies in their diets, or whether more targeted supplements do more than multivitamins.
    Ya these scientists suck at science.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I agree with the study. It's true. If your body doesn't need vitamins, taking multivitamins won't do you any good.

They only help people who have deficiencies.

Banned

Blog Entries

Are you sure?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WM_in_MO View Post

Would you argue with this?

They went on to urge consumers to not “waste” their money on multivitamins.

“The ‘stop wasting your money’ means that perhaps you're spending money on things that won't protect you long term,” editorial co-author Dr. Edgar Miller, a professor of medicine and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, told CBS News’ chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook. “What will protect you is if you spend the money on fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, low fat dairy, things like that ..exercising would probably be a better use of the money.”

The authors of the editorial say the evidence is clear about supplements, except for vitamin D, which has been shown to be both effective and ineffective for preventing falls and fractures in elderly.

Good info. Knowing my diet... I just got a multivitamin and some D vitamins. They go down well with beer.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Did you read the article? The scientists admit that there may still be a role for multi-vitamins if people aren't eating right or exercising.

I trust that the studies showed what they claimed: OTC name brand multivitamins don't do much, if anything, for your health. I'm only unhappy with the sensationalist, "anti-science" science reporting that don't get into the specifics of which multivitamins were tested, the possibility that better vitamins may have more significant results, or that typical Sam's Club groceries aren't going to have a good breakdown of vitamins or minerals either, even if you are careful with your diet.

Or how about this anti-science:
    Dr. Edgar Miller, a professor of medicine and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, ... [said] ďWhat will protect you is if you spend the money on fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, low fat dairy, things like that ..exercising would probably be a better use of the money.Ē
    No meat? No Fat? No leafy greens? Low Fat Dairy? And who has to pay to exercise? This doctor just told people to eat a plate of sugary berries, a side of mashed potatoes, syrupy baked beans, with a lactose-intolerance-inducing beverage while paying for a gym that they don't know how to use to keep their body in shape.

Sorry, but supplementing is essential until we all have our own perma-culture farmhouses, knowledge of healthy preservation techniques, and a workout regimen built for our specific body type. And Flintstone Vitamins aren't going to bridge that gap.

ETA:
    Would you argue with this?
    Yes, yes I would. And did.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you sure?
    You want to give me $300,000 in grant money and a stable of public health/medicine grad students to do some well designed studies?

I'm working from knowledge gained from a number of unaligned nutritionists and a few anecdotal situations where taking a supplement from a grocery store did nothing, but switching it with one ordered from an organic/sustainable/nutrition based supplier (and keeping the rest of the diet unchanged) fixed the issue.

Did you even read the 2nd post?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

"Multivitamin researchers say "case is closed" after studies find no health benefits"

That reminds me. I should take one tonight.

Years ago my biology teacher told us that full blown scurvy was pretty rare today. She then went on to tell us some of the first signs. One was bleeding gums. She thought if your gums are bleeding it may be a sign your low on vitamin C.

I've often taken a multivitamin when my gums bleed when I'm brushing. I've often seen them stop a day or so afterwards.

So I would say Multivitamin's do have a benefit.

Case still open.

I want you libtardarians to stop arguing with the pros. Me--myself--I'm going down to Walmarx to get a flu shot, a bottle of enriched ketchup, and a case of Gatorade.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I want you libtardarians to stop arguing with the pros. Me--myself--I'm going down to Walmarx to get a flu shot, a bottle of enriched ketchup, and a case of Gatorade.
    Don't forget the bag of spicy cashews and skim chocolate milk!

Banned

Blog Entries
    You want to give me $300,000 in grant money and a stable of public health/medicine grad students to do some well designed studies?

I'm working from knowledge gained from a number of unaligned nutritionists and a few anecdotal situations where taking a supplement from a grocery store did nothing, but switching it with one ordered from an organic/sustainable/nutrition based supplier (and keeping the rest of the diet unchanged) fixed the issue.
    Apply for a grant and make a name for yourself then. But until you can reproduce the results in a double-blind study, it means nothing to me.

But - fixed what issue? This study looked specifically at "cancer protection, heart health, and brain and cognitive measures."

This doctor just told people to eat a plate of sugary berries, a side of mashed potatoes, syrupy baked beans, with a lactose-intolerance-inducing beverage while paying for a gym that they don't know how to use to keep their body in shape.
    Yeah, you're right. People are far too stupid to know how to exercise properly. It's a miracle we've managed to evolve as far as we have.

And I think you've essentially distorted his message, because I didn't see him say that at all. I heard him say that eating whole foods and exercising is a better use of money than vitamin supplements.
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplechoe View Post
    Did you even read the 2nd post?
    Yes, but I ignored it because it was pretty obvious he didn't read the article either.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    That reminds me. I should take one tonight.

Years ago my biology teacher told us that full blown scurvy was pretty rare today. She then went on to tell us some of the first signs. One was bleeding gums. She thought if your gums are bleeding it may be a sign your low on vitamin C.

I've often taken a multivitamin when my gums bleed when I'm brushing. I've often seen them stop a day or so afterwards.

So I would say Multivitamin's do have a benefit.

Case still open.

Did you know that sailors that were taking high daily doses of commercial Vit. C still developed signs of scurvy?
    I didn't until a couple of days ago.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Ya'll are buying vitamins, aren't you? Hee hee hee!

I am so thankful that my genes are good. I am can do all those things just to piss ya'll off, and I'm still projected to live a lot longer than you are. Neener, neener neener.
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.

I am so thankful that my genes are good. I am can do all those things just to piss ya'll off, and I'm still projected to live a lot longer than you are. Neener, neener neener.
    U sure? Projections generally assume a certain health/fitness level. Have you compared yours to the standard established by the projection-makers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    U sure? Projections generally assume a certain health/fitness level. Have you compared yours to the standard established by the projection-makers?
    I'm afraid that they'd tell me I should already be dead. LOL!

I'm using anecdotal evidence, but there's good genes in my family. There's not a health nut in the family but the women usually live past 100. My grandmother is still alive and perfectly healthy, as are all her sisters. Heck, my great-grand-mother didn't pass until I was in my 40's. And I think she died of a broken heart as much as anything. She never got over the death of husband a decade earlier.

I am not making this up - my grandmother had a stroke about a year ago, and because she is in her 90's the MDs did not expect much of a recovery. The only side effect is that she no longer needs her glasses to read.

Would I likely live longer if I started exercising more? Maybe, but I really don't want to be 120 before I am allowed to get off this ride.

the conclusions should be taken with caution, because several participants stopped taking vitamins early.
    It’s worth noting this study only looked at cognitive test results, not actual development of dementia.
    randomized them to receive daily high-dose multivitamins and minerals or placebos
    "If a little is good a lot must be better"

Especially the crappy multivitmans big pharma sells, they probably did use Centrum or some nonsense.

The authors of the editorial say the evidence is clear about supplements, except for vitamin D, which has been shown to be both effective and ineffective for preventing falls and fractures in elderly.
    What's funny is I used to take a lot of supplements when I was vegetarian, but now that I'm mostly paleo vitamin D is the only supplement I take on a semi-regular basis anymore.. that and fish oil on occasion. Hey, why not.

If I start feeling sick I'll take a half of an airborne and some chinese mushroom stuff.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not much, but I can go without drinking any water for at least two weeks.

Just took another D vitamin, a C vitamin and an E vitamin. About to gargle with sea salt. Finishing the vitamins off with ginger, cinnamon, cocoa, lemon juice and birch tree sugar tea. Good love modern medicine!
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 12-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast