Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Evaluation: Mark Bircher (U.S. House, FL-13) - campaign ended

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries

Campaign Evaluation: Mark Bircher (U.S. House, FL-13) - campaign ended

This thread is intended to be a collection point of the strong pros and cons of any potential liberty candidate / campaign that is being discussed / promoted on the forum. You are welcome to post both positive and not-so-positive attributes about the candidate as they related to their position on supporting liberty as well as issues relating to their campaign. The most important information may be aggregated in this top post for easy reference.

Candidate Name: Mark Bircher
    Office Sought: U.S. House, Florida 13th Congressional District
    Social Media:
    https://www.facebook.com/markbircherfl
    https://twitter.com/MarkBircherFL
    http://vimeo.com/80936692

Candidate Profile: On the Issues
    Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
    Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
    Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile: Competition & Demographics
    State: Florida
    District: 13th Congressional District
    Incumbent:
    Other Primary Candidates:
    Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties:
    Relevant poll numbers: None.
    Overall Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]

Miscellaneous Pros/Cons
    Key strong points:

Unknown points for further research:

Possible weak points:

Possible deal breakers:

Overall Rating:
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Candidate Name: Mark Bircher
    Office Sought: U.S. House, Florida 13th Congressional District
    Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/MarkBircherFL
    http://vimeo.com/80936692

Candidate Profile: On the Issues
    Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
    Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
    Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile: Competition & Demographics
    State: Florida
    District: 13th Congressional District
    Incumbent: None. Special election due to the passing of Congressman Young.
    Other Primary Candidates: Lobbyist David Jolly and State Rep Kathleen Peters
    Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties: After primary in general is Dem Alex Sink and LP Lucas Overby
    Relevant poll numbers: Jolly pulled 28%, Peters 27%, and Mark Bircher 17 percent. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuz...her-17/2155458
    Overall Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD] FYI, this is one of the highest profile seats in congress.

Miscellaneous Pros/Cons
    Key strong points:
    He's a liberty guy. Will provide questionaire detailing positions but trust me, he's a Ron Paul guy.
    He has a STRONG military background. General, Marine, Blue Angel Piolet, Iraq vet, etc.

Unknown points for further research:
    No records come up for donations, etc. This seems to be his first race.

Possible weak points:
    He's unknown

Possible deal breakers:
    1 month until election.
    Overall Rating:

+1 for the last name!

edit: Damn, he is a Brigadier General.

Let's hope he is a Ron Paul guy. We need credibility in the foreign policy area. Zoller, although he won't run for the special election, instead the main election, seems conflicted over whether he is a libertarian or a NorthEast liberal.
    Last edited by TaftFan; 12-08-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Multiple local grassroots groups are actively supporting him now. Starting to see people donate now as well. It's picking up steam fast. Had the pres of the YR club contact me for his contact info so he could speak at their meeting on Tues. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by neverseen View Post
    Multiple local grassroots groups are actively supporting him now. Starting to see people donate now as well. It's picking up steam fast. Had the pres of the YR club contact me for his contact info so he could speak at their meeting on Tues. Good stuff!
    Hoe do you know him?

So, as a military guy and a liberty guy, how does he feel about things like NDAA?

He's a liberty guy. Will provide questionaire detailing positions but trust me, he's a Ron Paul guy.
    We'll need some confirmation on that. His website doesn't have anything other than he's ex-Military.

And this is the same District that Zoller is running in.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I worry when it's a military guy with the whole defense over rights thing, but I do believe this guy may be the best in the special. Still think Zoller is better in general, and really think young, liberty candidates can help the liberty movement. My two cents, and would like to know about the defense vs. rights issue

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He is NOT in the same race as Nick Zoller. This is the Jan primary for the March special election. Zoller is in the regular election at the end of 2014. I do feel he is a FAR stronger candidate than Zoller on both issues and... "electability."

Hoe do you know him?
    After the Ron Paul stuff, I co founded the RLC of Tampa Bay and I'm Vice Chair. Was also on the board for YR's and am a REC member. Not to sound cocky, but I know just about everyone at this point. Politics are local, right?

Questionnaire will come out on the 16th from the RLC, I tried to get an early release, but the board wants everyone to be able to respond. 16th is the last day.

So, as a military guy and a liberty guy, how does he feel about things like NDAA?
    NDAA... in a long winded response, repeal. You won't believe the amount of amazing in his response to the question about it.
    Drones... violation of Constitution unless congress declares war.
    War... only Marines allowed to enter a nation per clause 13 (president and/or congress) with out a war declaration but only congress for Army (cited multiple sources in law). Only congress can declare war. Okay to evacuate embassies but not attack in countries like Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, etc with no declaration. Cites Washington’s farewell address.
    Suspend all foreign aid at least until budget crisis is over.

Want more? This is me paraphrasing. This is just a gloss over of some issues. The survey will be published and press released and posted on the 4 corners of the web starting the 16th. This is my interpretation of what I read to help ease your minds. He is WELL written and cites many places in the constitution, and other law in his responses.

Drones in the US: Domestic surveillance by warrant only.
    War on drugs: Fed’s out, let states worry about it.
    States rights, Nullify: cites 9th and 10th amendment. Fed gov works for the states, not the other way around.
    What departments to eliminate? DoE, HUD, H&S, etc…. anything outside of the enumerated powers. Details about stripping out things that are allowed but are too big.
    ACA: Outside of enumerated powers… repeal.
    Healthcare: Agrees with Dr. Carson.
    Marriage: State right issue. No fed involvement.
    Abortion: State right issue.
    Federal Reserve: “See Ron Paul’s comments for my position.”
    Taxes: Short term: Balance budget. Long term: Repeal 16th.

Thanks for all the info. Good luck to your candidate.

Hopefully you'll be out there with me helping and voting for him too since he's not running against Zoller but is running against a lobbyist and a liberal...

I've heard bircher is more tea party. I don't support tea partiers. I'll probably vote jolly in the special, even if he's a slick ass. I think Bircher is most likely to pull conservatives from jolly and give us Latvala's little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by CG1976 View Post
    I've heard bircher is more tea party. I don't support tea partiers. I'll probably vote jolly in the special, even if he's a slick ass. I think Bircher is most likely to pull conservatives from jolly and give us Latvala's little girl.
    Yah, you are far, far, far off base. Makes me wonder if you actually are Zoller. Sad that you would pick a lobbyist over a Ron Paul guy, and admit it on a Ron Paul website... but hey, at least now we know!

Ron Paul is a Tea Partier.

Where does Bircher stand on social issues? That's where I have issues with many tea party guys is social issues no need to insult me I was merely expressing my thoughts just as you have. Guess I get attacked for that though?

Where does Bircher stand on social issues? That's where I have issues with many tea party guys is social issues no need to insult me I was merely expressing my thoughts just as you have. Guess I get attacked for that though?
    Attacked for even considering to support Jolly over Bircher.

Social issues.... he's against federal regulation of state issues. Abortion, Marriage, etc are all state issues that the federal gov should not have a hand in. This is covered in the Dec 16th annoucement.

PS. I just shot him $100. He sent out mailers today, and TV ad's are going on. He's in this to win. He's right behind the two leaders and his media coverage is just starting out.

Mailer, it's a facebook link, let me know if you can't see it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He is NOT in the same race as Nick Zoller. This is the Jan primary for the March special election. Zoller is in the regular election at the end of 2014. I do feel he is a FAR stronger candidate than Zoller on both issues and... "electability."
    So, if Bircher won this special election, he wouldn't run against Zoller next year in the regular Primary election?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I've heard bircher is more tea party.
    Sounds like Bircher is the one to support.

Is there a change that zoller and bircher end up in a primary in late 2014 for the regular election? Yes... one would hope that one of the two would bow out and support the other. If bircher is elected, I would hope that zoller supported him. Otherwise an establishment canidate put out by King Latvala will win.

Zoller is a decent candidate on the issues, but I have my doubts that a 24 year old will win in a county of 60 year olds. May not be the right way to feel... but at least I'm honest about it...

BTW, getting donation matches on facebook

Cleared up my worries about him, neverseen. I guess I was misinformed about Bircher, thanks for sharing all the info. I'll probably toss him a small donation. Can't do much but if he's really liberty then ill support the guy.

Exclamation

Cleared up my worries about him, neverseen. I guess I was misinformed about Bircher, thanks for sharing all the info. I'll probably toss him a small donation. Can't do much but if he's really liberty then ill support the guy.
    Tip of the hat to you. I hope to see you around supporting Bircher in the special, and either Bircher or Zoller in the regular election when it goes off.

Guys, We are delayed on tonight's release. Working on the website update and press release. Here are some of his responses. I'm going to go ahead and get some answers out here so you can see he means business. He's what we are looking for and he has a resume that is close to untouchable. He's just about as perfect a candidate as you can get in the liberty movement, and by FAR the best we've had in the Tampa Bay Area, yet.

He did a mailer that hit the same time as mail ballots. He's doing local ad's on Fox local (overair channel, not foxnews), and he's going to do another mailer shortly. Support is picking up for him and we have various local leaders reaching out to other much larger liberty supporting organizations. We have a serious shot at getting a victory here. He's the only of the 3 that have a shot at beating Alex Sink, the dem. The race will be in the millions of dollars when it reaches that level, but we MUST get our guy in now before nationwide GOP/DEM support starts kicking in for this major seat in the House.

Economic Issues & Taxes
    1. What can Congress do to help return manufacturing jobs to the United States? No US trade negotiator may sit on any foreign company board of directors or similar organization for ten years after leaving government service. Everything Congress does must either add to the security of the states or relate to enhancing US business interests, jobs, trade, economic growth, markets, etc. Everything else is purview of state legislator.

Foreign Policy
    5. When is US military intervention in other nations justified? US Const Art I Sec 8, clauses 11, 12, 13, control. Depends upon the nature of the situation requiring intervention and the intervention forces anticipated. For example, military intervention to evacuate an embassy staff and American citizens during civil unrest in a foreign country, as opposed to major actions like Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, etc. NO undeclared wars. Only US Marines allowed to intervene without war declaration, (clause 13 – congressional authority to maintain a Navy, Marines in Dept of Navy,). The President and Congress have the constitutional authority to deploy Marines, but Congressional approval by “up or down” vote of Congress is required to deploy US Army, (clause 12) . “Since only the People actually pay in ‘Blood and Treasure’ for war, only the People may properly decide upon war.” Thomas Jefferson. George Washington’s “Farewell Address”, probably the best source for cogent policy on this issue.

Civil Liberties
    9. Do you favor a repeal of the indefinite detention provisions in the NDAA of 2012? Why or why not? The ancient based writ of habeas corpus is arguably the most powerful tool of free men over injustice ever invented. Arbitrary imprisonment is the most pernicious indicator of government tyranny that exists. I favor repeal of all government actions that trample the US Constitution. If history is a teacher, the people of the US are closer than they can ever imagine to the abuse the government now projects on “enemy combatants.” Detained people are either prisoners of war, or suspected criminals. There are no other possibilities. In either case, the process of law controls. Inventing new classifications of detainees, e.g., “enemy combatant” and new processes “ad hoc” are Orwellian in there circumvention of law. “‘Necessity’, is the justification of tyrants and the creed of slaves.” William Pitt.

The US Constitution
    13. Are there any departments of the federal government that you believe could be significantly scaled back, reallocated to the states, or ended completely? If so, which ones, and why? All departments, agencies, bureaus, etc., in the Executive Branch that are outside of the enumerated powers, e.g., Dept of Educ, HUD, H&S, etc., should be eliminated in their entirety. We are actually losing our liberty faster on the “regulatory” side of the federal government, e.g., TSA, than the statutory. All other organizations with federal and state shared responsibilities should be eliminated or “right sized” in accordance with what the states say is required to support state interests.

Healthcare
    15. What reforms do you propose or support to make healthcare more affordable and accessible? Any regulation of healthcare should be decided by the state legislatures, and not by the federal government. There is no reason central government is involved in healthcare. The word “affordable” is actually meaningless in the context of health care, except for its populist appeal. No has ever actually defined what “affordable” means in the ACA context; affordable to whom? Concerning healthcare, I am aligned with the ideas of Dr. Benjamin Carson.

Social Issues
    16. In what way(s) should government be involved with marriage? None at the federal level. Whatever the states decide through their legislatures at the state level. 17. What involvement should the federal government have in regard to abortion? The Framers had abortion and covered the issue completely in the 9th Amendment. Again, a state issue. SCOTUS should never have granted certiorari to hear Roe v. Wade, or Doe v. Bolton because there is no valid federal question (privacy basis was specious at best, frivolous at worst) to provide jurisdiction.

Government Transparency
    18. Currently, one US Congressman1 utilizes social networking to promote government transparency by sharing every single vote he casts in Congress, and providing an explanation for that vote. Will you promise to provide a similar level of openness and accessibility to the votes you cast? Yes. As a public servant, bright lights and transparency must be a component to enable the people’s scrutiny and review of their Rep’s voting record. Additional comments or thoughts: “A Republic deserves the government it elects or tolerates.” Thomas Jefferson
    Last edited by neverseen; 12-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sent $25 who will match?
    Since THIS just released... I'll match you! Check out the responses. Amazingly they go from best to worst!! Of course our local liberal paper endorsed the worst of the responders...

Now that we have the issues out there from Bircher, and 1 month left in the Special Election... what's next on RPF for this evaluation??

https://rlctb.org/florida-cd-13-cand...ire-responses/

Donated $100 the other day. Just plopped down another $50 to double you! Who will double me?!?!?!?!?

RECEIPT DETAILS
    Date 12/18/2013
    Amount $50.00 (One Time)
    Last edited by neverseen; 12-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Allen West endorses Mark Bircher: http://allenbwest.com/2013/12/want-f...-mark-bircher/

Before anyone blows up, keep in mind West is probably endorsing him because he is a Brigadier General and doesn't care about much else. Hopefully this endorsement helps get Bircher attention.

Everything looks good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Everything looks good so far.
    Yup. So now what? Less than 1 month until vote day.

Allen West *gag* just endorsed him. He's doubled in facebook likes since yesterday.

Edit... WOW check out the likes/shares from the endorsement on facebook. This is going to bring in a ton of money... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7606728&type=1
    Last edited by neverseen; 12-18-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast