Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Putin signs law banning advertisements for abortion in Russia

Putin signs law banning advertisements for abortion in Russia

Putin signs law banning advertisements for abortion in Russia

MOSCOW — Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law banning advertisements for abortion, the Kremlin said on Monday, a step activists said would infringe on the reproductive rights of women.

Putin has made stemming a post-Soviet population decline a priority during 14 years in power and struck a conservative tone in his new term, praising what he calls traditional values and holding up the Russian Orthodox Church as a moral guide.

He has drawn fire from the West for a law he signed earlier this year that critics say discriminates against homosexuals.

Wider availability of contraception and a resurgence of religion after the 1991 Soviet collapse have reduced Russia's abortion rate, but it is among the highest in the world and termination is a top method of birth control.

The government has funded advertising campaigns and offered financial incentives for couples to have multiple children.

The law banning advertising "is not the beginning of the restriction of women's (reproductive) rights, but rather the continuation of a process begun in 2011," said women's rights activist Olgerta Kharitonova.

She was referring to legislation that barred abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy in most cases and establishing a waiting period of at least 48 hours.

A recent proposal submitted to lawmakers would prohibit coverage of abortion by health insurance.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...in-russia?lite

I love Putin, such a great leader!!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reproductive rights is code for "I don't want to be responsible for my actions".
    "The Patriarch"

Putin vows to halt Russia's population plunge with babies, immigrants
    If current trends continue, Russia's population will drop from 143 million to 107 million by 2050. Putin vowed in a newspaper article yesterday to reverse that trend if elected.

CS Monitor
    February 14, 2012

Moscow — Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has warned that Russia's falling population poses a dire threat to the country's existence, which he will reverse with sweeping new social policies if he's elected to a third presidential term in polls that are now less than three weeks off.

In the fourth in a series of wordy programmatic articles aimed at spelling out what he would do with a fresh six-year Kremlin term, Mr. Putin said Monday that Russia's long-standing demographic crisis, which features low birth rates coupled with unusually high working-age male mortality, could eventually turn the huge country into "a geopolitical 'void' whose fate would be decided by other powers" unless current trends are turned around.

Among the measures he proposes are a fresh assault on Russia's catastrophic rates of male alcoholism, special allowances for women who have more than two children (an idea that's been tried before with limited success), improved housing and educational prospects for all Russians, and a "smart" immigration policy that will entice Russians living abroad to return to the motherland and attract educated and talented young foreigners.

When he first came to power 12 years ago, Putin inherited a catastrophic population crisis. The number of Russians was shrinking by 0.5 percent each year and the prospect of a national breakdown was widely discussed by social scientists. But a decade of relative political stability, higher living standards, and public health campaigns have boosted male life expectancy from a 2003 low of 58 years to 63 today, and raised fertility rates from about 1.2 children-per-woman in 2002 to 1.6 in 2011 (still short of the 2.1 level experts say is needed to sustain a population), according to the state statistics service Rosstat.

Full Story:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/...ies-immigrants
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Raising babies is cruel and unusual punishment.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Putin>Obama
    I was thinking the same.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I was thinking the same.
    Because Obama is encouraging women to have kids?
    "The Patriarch"

Its funny that we're told constantly about how Russia is evil when they have more respect for human rights than America does.
    Stop believing stupid things

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Putin>Obama
    (Russia) FSB surveillance system > PRISM

Russia to monitor 'all communications' at Winter Olympics in Sochi
    Exclusive: Investigation uncovers FSB surveillance system – branded 'PRISM on steroids' – to listen to all athletes and visitors
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post

Exclusive: Investigation uncovers FSB surveillance system – branded 'PRISM on steroids' – to listen to all athletes and visitors
    I'm not in favor of what they're doing with surveillance, but I could see the US trying to plant some spies in Sochi during the games.

I have no problem with them spying on foreigners at a high profile event.

He's just embarrassed the US is making his country look soft.
    "The Patriarch"

Putin>Obama
    I agree, and Russia should be an US ally. The real enemies are Israel, China, and the House of Saud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    I'm not in favor of what they're doing with surveillance, but I could see the US trying to plant some spies in Sochi during the games.
    Do you think Russia is going a bit overboard with this?

Russian Government Confirms That Gay Activists Will Be Arrested at 2014 Olympics
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-2014-Olympics

Russian anti-gay bill passes, protesters detained
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-...ters-detained/

Russian Newspaper Accused of Violating 'Gay Propaganda' Law
    http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...propaganda-law
    ----

Russian Government Confirms That Gay Activists Will Be Arrested at 2014 Olympics

No, I think that they're doing an amazing job and 100% support that law.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    No, I think that they're doing an amazing job and 100% support that law.
    I view this law as tyrannical.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 11-25-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    ----

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Putin>Obama
    + 1
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

So, advertising for infanticide is a slap to tyranny?
    "The Patriarch"

Never took you for a gay-rights crusader.

Well, I heard that some gay activists were planning on sabotaging the 2014 Olympics.

and a "smart" immigration policy that will entice Russians living abroad to return to the motherland and attract educated and talented young foreigners
    Anybody know the specifics of his proposed immigration policy? Or what residency requirements there are for Russia?

He should ban them outright.

Is someone a "gay rights crusader" if he says those who advocate for gay rights should not be arrested?

If so, feel free to add me to your "list."

Quote Originally Posted by gwax23 View Post
    Agreed.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So, advertising for infanticide is a slap to tyranny?

I view the anti-gay law as tyrannical.
    ----

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwax23 View Post
    True, but I don't think The Russian Federal Assembly would allow that. Slow progress is better than no progress.

I'm not a gay-rights crusader, but I don't support arresting Gay Rights activists under the anti-gay law. There's a big difference.
    ----

I view the anti-gay law as tyrannical.
    Sorry, ADD
    "The Patriarch"

I'm not a gay-rights crusader, but I don't support arresting Gay Rights activists under the anti-gay law. There's a big difference.
    If I remember correctly the Russian laws only ban gay pride parades and propaganda to minors.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Anybody know the specifics of his proposed immigration policy? Or what residency requirements there are for Russia?
    Not sure about long-term residency, but I know that if you want to go to Russia as a tourist you need a letter of invitation from someone inside Russia. Usually your hotel or travel agent can arrange this for you, but you must have paid lodging for your entire stay ahead of time. If a friend wants to invite you, I think they have to give proof that you're staying with them.

For a student visa it's not too difficult, that's how I got in for the 8 months I lived in Moscow. I applied to a Russian-language school, paid it, and they got me the required documents to apply for my visa. Once inside Russia you have to get another document which you must have with you at all times and you have to hand in when you leave Russia (if you lose it, you're pretty screwed, you can't leave the country without handing it in and the process of getting a new one is very expensive and time consuming, not to mention you can be held in jail for a few days if you're stopped and you don't have it on you).

On the Russian Embassy website there doesn't seem to be any information about residence permits, just temporary visas. I did find this, though:

Sponsorship
    All foreigners wishing to immigrate to Russia must get a sponsor based in the country to vouch for them. Acceptable sponsors can include an employer or a family member, among other options. There also are reputable agencies that, for a fee, will provide you with a legal sponsor if you are unable to secure your own. The sponsor will be in correspondence with the Russian government about the status of your immigration paperwork.

Dual-Citizenship Passport Issues
    According to the U.S. government's Travel.State.Gov website, people possessing both a Russian and an American passport might encounter trouble should they attempt to enter Russia using their Russian passport. If you hold a Russian passport that has expired, you cannot leave Russia, even if you have a valid American passport. Obtaining a Russian passport can take several months. Trouble is especially common for males who are the right age to serve in the Russian military; if you haven't fulfilled your service obligations, it might be very difficult to leave the country.

Visa Rules
    In order to visit Russia, Americans must get a sponsor and also apply for a visa well in advance of their trip to Russia; once you are in the country, there is no way to legally apply for a visa. Another important document that must be completed is a migration card. People traveling to Russia for work can stay no longer than three years on a work visa; there are certain rules restricting what jobs may be worked by foreigners. Visitor visas typically are valid for 90 days.

Becoming a Resident or Citizen
    U.S. citizens can apply to become temporary residents of Russia by completing paperwork and submitting documents to the Russian government; a temporary residency is granted for three years. Russia has a quota system in place that allows only a certain number of people each year from a certain country to get residency. Americans also can apply for permanent residency; this is valid for five years and can be renewed endlessly. To become a full-fledged Russian citizen, a person must marry a Russian citizen and file the appropriate paperwork, or live in Russia for five years before filing a citizenship petition.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/russi...aws-63671.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    If I remember correctly the Russian laws only ban gay pride parades and propaganda to minors.
    Both of which are a violation of free speech. Now, I know Russia doesn't have the US constitution, but speech still isn't aggression and should not be punished.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast