Thread: Funniest Thing I've Read Today - Detroit's Problems Are The Result Of The GOP

Funniest Thing I've Read Today - Detroit's Problems Are The Result Of The GOP

In my email, from the SEIU:

Angela,

It was Wall Street – not pensioners – who broke Detroit.

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and Detroit City Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr would have you believe that overspending on lavish public services and greedy public workers pension benefits are at fault for Detroit’s financial crisis.

A new report from think tank Demos tells a very different story: Detroit was driven into the crisis by Governor Snyder, the Republican Legislature, and Wall Street banks.

We deserve to know the truth about who really broke Detroit. Share the facts with your friends and family on Facebook.

The research shows that revenue decline – largely due to the economic crisis Wall Street caused – and bad Wall Street deals like toxic interest rate swaps played the largest role in the City’s financial woes. These swap deals have already cost the City of Detroit and the Water Department more than $800 million in the last five years.

It’s clear that Governor Snyder and Emergency Manager Orr have systematically put the interests of big banks and corporations ahead of the people of Detroit.

Expose the truth. Share the latest facts on the Detroit crisis on Facebook.

Detroit’s bankruptcy doesn’t just impact the people of Detroit. The outcome here will set precedent in municipal bankruptcy law and will have ripple effects for other cities and public workers across the country. This is why we need to take action now to get the real story out.

http://action.seiu.org/page/content/whobrokedetroit/

In Solidarity,

Courtney-Rose
    SEIU.org

Yeah, because Detroit was doing just fine during the Granholm years. And I'd be willing to bet that the SWAP deals they're talking about were entered into by the city council, and NOT Lansing.

Do they not realize that the bankruptcy they're fighting would screw those same banks?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Meanwhile, a Detroit columnist laments whites moving back to Detroit.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...ck-to-detroit/

Yes, white folks are moving into the city in droves, and they are only part of a wider group of people bringing density and the customer base to Detroit’s booming core. And some folks are not hip to it. Shame on Nolan Finley of the Detroit News for giving this loon, and others like her, serious air time and consideration. Folks like Shirley Stancato are now referred to as Detroit’s “race warriors.”

As my Detroit: From Rust to Riches blog has been documenting for some time now, Detroit has become the place to be, and has thus moved from being a city known for white flight to a city where all kinds of people - including white people – can’t get here fast enough. Occupancy rates in popular Midtown have pushed over 95%. I’ve lived here my whole life and I have never before seen such a fun and amazing hodgepodge of people that are living in the dense downtown areas. And there are still some naysayers kicking up a fuss over gentrification, housing prices, and … white people moving back to the city. To quote Nolan Finley:
    Downtown, meanwhile, is a magnet for creative and upwardly mobile young people of both races, but the tilt is heavily toward whites.
    [...]
    Downtown seems immune to Detroit’s broken finances. It’s booming thanks to private investments and its sudden emergence as a cool city for young people to live and work in.

Private dollars take care of everything from street clean-up to security within the downtown and Midtown zones.
    Aha, he gets it! However, while private investment ramps up and takes over basic services; commences restorations; builds new housing; and provides creative entertainment, dining, and nightlife, “race warrior” Shirley Stancato says white people coming downtown “is an issue” and “are we willing to have a conversation about it?”

This story drew 500+ reader comments almost overnight, and the reason is that people here are sick and tired those who cannot let go of the past, and instead, they hash over the same old rusty ground, pulling out the race card along with class warfare...
    Man, progs are the biggest racists...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

If only they had bailed out the auto industry sooner...

/snicker

Reason had a 4 part series (chained together - see the end of each vid for links to subsequent vids)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEzCN5kfJE

Its pretty interesting what can happen when government is disabled or absent altogether. I can see why some really anxiously anticipate the collapse. For the record though, I have no interest in moving to Detroit any time soon.

Charlie cracks me up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uzDelNvDg

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"