Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a good spread for 401k, your thoughts

Not bad but I would throw in some bonds. It's way too stock heavy unless you got bonds in other retirement vehicles.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    It's taken me forever to respond to this. :P

@ helmuth_hubener
    I did find the information useful. It was just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I have not started investing yet. I've built up a good stash of cash but I am not working and haven't for some time. Full time dad now which is great. One thing that I'm thinking of now that I'm revisiting this information and getting more serious about making my money work for me is ethical investing. There are some things I can't put my money behind profits be damned. I've been doing a little research and I can't find very good options. I've found some mutual funds but the expense ratio is too damn high. Any help on that front would be appreciated.
    Lowest expenses will be in index funds. I have a couple of those. They just buy and hold the stocks in a certain index (the more a fund trades, the more the costs including transaction costs and capital gains taxes). You can find them for any category you may want- from industry specific to total stock market. For individual stocks, look at a DRIP (Dividend Re-Investment Plan). I also have one of those (a utility).

For a 401k, check if your company offers any matching. Matching contributions is free money for you. Also if you have an automatic investment set up, then saving for it is easier- it is taken out of your check even before you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    @ helmuth_hubener
    I did find the information useful.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad.

One thing that I'm thinking of now that I'm revisiting this information and getting more serious about making my money work for me is ethical investing. There are some things I can't put my money behind profits be damned. I've been doing a little research and I can't find very good options. I've found some mutual funds but the expense ratio is too high. Any help on that front would be appreciated.
    The problem with the ethical/socially responsible mutual funds you've looked at, and any that you're likely to find, is that their ethics are going to be significantly different than your ethics, especially given that you are posting on a libertarian board.

You could make your own version of such a thing, matching your own ethical framework, with Motif.

https://www.motifinvesting.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123