Thread: New Hampshire: It’s time to legalize marijuana

New Hampshire: It’s time to legalize marijuana

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/9...lize-marijuana

Far be it from me to ever suggest that we should legislate based on opinion polls.

However, those who find it equally clear that we do not legislate in a vacuum will serve the people of New Hampshire well by taking a look at how the numbers have completely turned around when it comes to legalization of marijuana.

When I spoke on the House floor four years ago in favor of gay marriage, I alluded to the biblical admonition “To everything there is a season.” Even as we observe that Hawaii became the 16th state to legalize gay marriage last week, we can look with pride and recall how New Hampshire was the first state in the country to legalize gay marriage without being urged to do so by the courts.

In January, New Hampshire will again be graced with the opportunity to reassert its first-in-the-nation status. Colorado and Washington legalized marijuana last year, but in both cases, it was by referendum. Voters spoke quite clearly, by 55 to 45 percent margins in both states, that it’s time to stop wasting millions of taxpayer dollars trying to enforce a ban which cannot and should not be enforced.

Rather than throw taxpayer money away and put people in jail for indulging in a substance far more benign than either alcohol or cigarettes, we should legalize, regulate and tax marijuana with a benefit to state coffers of somewhere between $20 million and $30 million a year.

Ours is not a referendum state, but by passing House Bill 492 the New Hampshire House has a chance to make history by becoming the first legislative body in the nation to move in this direction. The Criminal Justice Committee voted 11-7 against the bill but, mind you, that’s the same committee that was overturned by a huge margin on the House floor earlier this year after voting against a simple decriminalization bill.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you grow personal amounts under the bill?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Where's Anti-Federalist?
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Can you grow personal amounts under the bill?
    here let me google that for you

II. Possessing, growing, processing, or transporting no more than 6 marijuana plants, with 3 or fewer being mature, flowering plants, and possession of the marijuana produced by the plants on the premises where the plants were grown, provided that the growing takes place in an enclosed, locked space, is not conducted openly or publicly, and is not made available for sale.
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...13/HB0492.html

of course that will likely be removed when they set up a regulatory committee

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    here let me google that for you

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...13/HB0492.html

of course that will likely be removed when they set up a regulatory committee
    The Democratic governor and other Democrats worked together so that home grown isn't even in the NH medical marijuana law yet, even though she voted for it as a state senator. To her, it's all politics. She just wants to be reelected so she is going to push for small changes in anything she supports. For example, when the legislature was debating increasing the speed limit on I-93, she spoke out against it. But when it turned to have overwhelming support, she signed it.

My point is, this bill isn't going to pass unless the legislature overwhelmingly supported it and they don't. We were able to talk the Republican senators into supporting medical marijuana but that's as far as will get them for at least another 1-2 years.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post

My point is, this bill isn't going to pass unless the legislature overwhelmingly supported it and they don't. We were able to talk the Republican senators into supporting medical marijuana but that's as far as will get them for at least another 1-2 years.
    I thought NH was a bastion of freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I thought NH was a bastion of freedom?
    Compared to most of the world, absolutely! Of course, it's far from perfect and there is a ton of work to do. If it allowed referendums or the like, legalization would pass. However, NH doesn't allow referendums, thankfully. As more often than not, referendums are actually used to limit freedom, instead of expand it. NH has a very hard to pass Constitutional Amendment system but it's so hard to pass, unless there is almost universal support for the issue, like there was for additional eminent domain protections, after the US Supreme Court ruled that towns can take property for pretty much any reason they thing is good, the issue isn't likely to pass as a CA.

More so, though, your question would have been better if it was along the lines of I thought folks in NH had the best and most likely to be successful ideas to bring about a free state in our lifetime. And the answer to that is a resounding yes.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

While I think this has no chance of passing, a few people talked about it last year so I figured I'd let people know about the vote, in case anyone wanted to contact the critters in the NH House.

New Hampshire House to Consider Bill to End Marijuana Prohibition
    http://blog.mpp.org/tax-and-regulate...tion/01022014/

The New Hampshire House will kick off its 2014 session Wednesday, January 8, by voting on a bill that would end the prohibition of marijuana in New Hampshire.NH-State-Flag_2 HB 492, modeled after Colorado’s Amendment 64, would allow adults to use, possess, and cultivate limited amounts of marijuana with no penalty. The bill would also set up a taxed and regulated market for marijuana production and sale. Legal sales to adult marijuana users began yesterday in Colorado, where marijuana possession and cultivation of up to six plants has been legal since January 2013. By adopting the similar policy proposed by HB 492, New Hampshire could save tens of millions of dollars in enforcement costs and generate up to $30 million in annual tax revenue. In October, the WMUR Granite State Poll found that 60% of New Hampshire voters support HB 492. If you live in New Hampshire, please urge your state representatives to vote YES on HB 492!
    Or you can look up your critters the old fashioned way. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx
    If you call or write, please encourage the critter to:
    Vote to Oppose the Inexpedient to Legislate recommendation and then
    Vote to Support the Ought to Pass recommendation with Amendment
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-03-2014 at 10:50 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    ...I think this has no chance of passing....
    Support Shem Kellogg 4 NH State Rep!

Neither HB 492 (the marijuana legalization bill) nor HB 675 (the bill authorizing the police to use automatic license plate readers like police use in other states) were voted on today. Both will likely be voted on in the NH House on Wednesday, January 15th.

If you live in NH:
    Please -> http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx <- contact the NH House in favor of HB 492 and in opposition to HB 675. Possible taking points on the bills:
    HB 492 - 60% of people in NH support legalizing marijuana, It would say local governments millions of dollars a year, The money could fix every bridge in NH and widen I-93
    HB 675 - the Boston police just discontinued the use of automatic license plate readers because they don't work, A bill banning ALPR was passed and supported by almost everyone in the NH Legislature in 2007
    http://nhfreedom.wordpress.com/2014/...ome-good-news/
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-08-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Support Shem Kellogg 4 NH State Rep!
    I will be happy to.

I hope Shem keeps me updated.

Democrats can be so annoying at times! Gov. Hassan has proven that she isn't serious about solving serious crime. She refuses to help free up police resources to help solve and prevent violent crimes. I heard she loves polite phone calls from the little people, though.
    (603) 271-2121

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-13-2014 at 08:30 PM.

At least the state paper has an article in favor of it today. So I guess this bill has done something useful.

David Harsanyi: For liberty, but against dumb decisions
    BY DAVID HARSANYI
    Published Jan 14, 2014 at 3:00 am (Updated Jan 13, 2014)
    http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...late=mobileart

As a Denver Post columnist from 2004-11, I spent a considerable amount of time writing pieces advocating the legalization of pot. So I was happy when Colorado became one of the first to decriminalize small amounts of “recreational” marijuana. I believe that the war on drugs is a tragically misplaced use of resources — an immoral venture that produces far more suffering than it alleviates. And on a philosophical level, I believe that adults should be permitted to ingest whatever they desire — including, but not limited to, trans fats, tobacco, cough syrup, colossal sodas and so on — as long as they live with the consequences.

You know, that old chestnut.

Unrealistic? Maybe. But less so than allowing myself to believe that human behavior can/should be endlessly nudged, cajoled and coerced by politicians.

According to The Denver Post, there are nearly 40 stores in Colorado licensed to sell “recreational” pot. Medical marijuana has been legal for more than a decade. Not surprisingly, pot stores can’t keep up with demand for a hit of recreational tetrahydrocannabinol. Outside Denver shops, people are waiting for up to five hours to buy some well-taxed and “regulated” cannabis. The pot tourists also have arrived. All this, The Denver Post estimates, will translate into $40 million of additional tax revenue in 2014 — the real reason legalization in Colorado became a reality.

The news coverage swung from mild bemusement to acting as if society were on the cusp of a major civil rights victory. For me, the entire spectacle seemed rather pathetic and anticlimactic.

The large part of my position on drugs is ideological, but some of it is familiarity. As a young person, I inhaled, yet today I can pull together the occasional lucid thought. I don’t feel as if I did anything immoral. I guess I’d have to say that I have acquaintance on a par with David Brooks (regrettably without the “uninhibited frolic”): “For a little while in my teenage years, my friends and I smoked marijuana. It was fun. I have some fond memories of us all being silly together. I think those moments of uninhibited frolic deepened our friendships.”

In the end, Brooks believes that pot use “should be discouraged more than encouraged.” That seems, in itself, to be a reasonable suggestion. Unreasonably, he believes that government should discourage use by force. I believe that communities, parents and individuals should discourage use through persuasion (and with something other than hysterical drug warrior rhetoric).

“Many people these days shy away from talk about the moral status of drug use because that would imply that one sort of life you might choose is better than another sort of life,” Brooks goes on to write. Jonah Goldberg put it better in a column, pointing out that nonjudgmentalism is part of the secular catechism. And there are few people less judgmental about your choices than a libertarian. Fortunately, you can have it both ways. I believe prostitution should be legalized but also stigmatized.

The problem is that Americans use the state as a moral compass. For libertarians, it is often frustrating to explain that advocating the decriminalization of x is not synonymous with endorsing x.

Marijuana is, for the most part, an innocuous habit. But there can be detrimental psychological and physiological effects on the human body after prolonged use. It hinders the mental capacity of people who use it excessively. No doubt, you’ve met some test subjects. Many pro-pot legalization advocates want Americans to believe that nurses, accountants, shopkeeps and local haberdashers make up the majority share of those smoking Caramelicious on weekends. Anyone who’s done any reporting on the issues understands that this is preposterous. There are hordes of stoners making a “lifestyle” choice and wasting away.

Should we criminalize slacking? No. Is it something that should be discouraged? Probably. One sort of life you choose might be better than another sort of life.
    More at link.

I figured I should revisit this thread to let folks know that the bill passed the NH House. Though, the Governor responded to that news by reminding folks that she would veto it. After the NH Senate learned what the governor put out, many of them responded negatively towards the bill. The NH House isn't enough for Shem. We need him as governor, it seems...

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-24-2014 at 06:57 PM.