Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii State Rep Is Smashing Belongings Of The Homeless

Hawaii State Rep Is Smashing Belongings Of The Homeless

What a nice, progressive way to deal with homeless problem.

Much like Batkid, Hawaii has found its own superhero. Except that instead of protecting the powerless from harm, he roams the streets with a sledgehammer and looks for homeless people in order to literally smash their possessions.

Remarkably, this vigilante isn’t just some random Hawaiian, but five-term State Rep. Tom Brower (D).

Noting that he’s “disgusted” with homeless people, Brower told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser about his own personal brand of “justice”: “If I see shopping carts that I can’t identify, I will destroy them so they can’t be pushed on the streets.” Brower has waged this campaign for two weeks, estimating that he’s smashed about 30 shopping carts in the process.

“I want to do something practical that will really clean up the streets,” he explained to Hawaii News Now as he showed off his property destruction skills:

Uncontent to just destroy homeless people’s items, Brower is also on a mission to wake those he finds sleeping and tell them to sleep somewhere else. “If someone is sleeping at night on the bus stop, I don’t do anything, but if they are sleeping during the day, I’ll walk up and say, ‘Get your ass moving,’” he said.

It’s no stretch to assume that if Brower were found roaming middle-class neighborhoods and smashing items in people’s homes, he would find himself both out of office and behind bars. But segments of society view homeless people as less important and undeserving of the dignity of having their possessions kept safe.

One homeless person in Honolulu, Edward Ferreira, witnessed Brower in action. “To see someone banging on stuff like that, it was very scary for me,” he told Hawaii News Now.

Without a home, homeless people often have nowhere to store their possessions. A shopping cart can be very useful in both its storage space and mobility. Some localities, including New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and others have tried to address this problem by offering free storage space to homeless people.

Hawaii, on the other hand, is garnering a reputation for a less-than-compassionate approach to its homeless population, and it’s not just because of Brower. It’s got the highest rate of homelessness in the country, but rather than build more shelters or offer more services for the poor, lawmakers approved $100,000 over the next two years to offer one-way flights off the islands to any of the state’s estimated 17,000 homeless persons.

http://www.alternet.org/state-rep-sm...f-sledgegammer
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was puzzled when I read the thread title but after reading the story... what the heck??

The face of the left.... What compassion!

WHAT
    A
    $#@!ING
    PIECE
    OF
    TRASH
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

WTH? Shopping carts cost like $300. Is this an Onion video?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

I think I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a home in Detroit.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I can't even... I can't... what?

WHAT????

WHY IS HE NOT IN JAIL?!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a home in Detroit.
    Lots of people think like that, it's why they have so many homeless. The weather makes it comfortable to sleep outdoors.

IDK how I feel about the program to buy tickets, but a lot of the homeless in HI are not from HI.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well he's a dick..

But here's a bright side for libertarians: he's not passing a law or making police do it for him..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

So he is complaining and using the argument the homeless have stolen the carts. Isn't then his activity some form of property violation to which he is an accessory? He has only returned 6 of 30 carts, admitted he is disabling them, so they are functional before he gets a hold of them. I am sure broken down carts are rather attractive for the public. What a horrible "solution".
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Well he's a dick..

But here's a bright side for libertarians: he's not passing a law or making police do it for him..
    lol but he is leaving the now disabled carts for the city to haul away which is costing the taxpayers money.
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

I wish him a long and painful death.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

phone: 808-586-8520
    email: repbrower@capitol.hawaii.gov

Get to it folks. I informed both his inbox and his voicemail that he is a piece of $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    phone: 808-586-8520
    email: repbrower@capitol.hawaii.gov

Get to it folks. I informed both his inbox and his voicemail that he is a piece of $#@!.
    +rep

I think I might just give him a call. Anyone know if we have anyone at all we can run against him in Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    +rep

I think I might just give him a call. Anyone know if we have anyone at all we can run against him in Hawaii?
    I bet that homeless guy he scared would do it. Let's draft him.

I can't get over how $#@!ty this person is. It's astounding.

Send this to Drudge too.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fixing shopping carts is my specialty.

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I wish him a long and painful death.
    Fukushima may fulfill your wishes there, although it will take a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Well he's a dick..

I'm pretty sure no libertarian would find anything positive in wanton and deliberate destruction of private property. This guy ought to be facing felony charges for each and every attack.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I'm pretty sure no libertarian would find anything positive in wanton and deliberate destruction of private property. This guy ought to be facing felony charges for each and every attack.
    just thought I'd lighten the mood hehe
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Here's how to take care of this guy: set him up!
    Have someone who can prove they have a home to walk around in ratty, dirty clothes, pushing a shopping cart full of junk. Frequent the areas known to be targeted, and eventually he'll be encountered. Have someone else nearby to get it on video. File and press criminal charges for assault and destruction of property. Sue for everything he's worth. End of problem, political career finished.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Have someone who can prove they have a home to walk around in ratty, dirty clothes, pushing a shopping cart full of junk. Frequent the areas known to be targeted, and eventually he'll be encountered. Have someone else nearby to get it on video. File and press criminal charges for assault and destruction of property. Sue for everything he's worth. End of problem, political career finished.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    I volunteer. Who wants to start a chip in to send me to Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    I volunteer. Who wants to start a chip in to send me to Hawaii?
    I'll take the video footage with my iphone.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ....or you could try to help relieve homelessness, but then you wouldn't get to use the cool sledgehammer!

A-SS-H-O-LE! What a miserable, petty, little tyrant.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'll take the video footage with my iphone.
    I'll take the video footage with my iPhone and stay in a cheaper hotel than Dannno.
    But still beachfront.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    I'll take the video footage with my iPhone and stay in a cheaper hotel than Dannno.
    But still beachfront.
    I'll take the video footage and crash rent free with my nieces and stay cheaper than madcow.

Look at ya'll volunteering to be felt up by TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    But still beachfront.
    Screw a hotel, all I need is a surfboard rental.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast