Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perhaps a solution to some divisive issues

This is an incredibly fascinating thread, and I've learned tons by doing this.

As of now, I have one question.

If an offense is serious enough, like adultery, they can impose the ultimate punishment of the highest severity: excommunication from the phyle.
    It seems to me that the ULTIMATE penalty would be death. Could a group of theonomic reconstructionists legitimately create a community (Through voluntary, contractual consent) that punishes adultery, homosexuality blasphemy, etc. by death? Would such a thing be possible on the free market (note: I'm asking if its possible, not if its desirable)? Or is excomunication the most severe punishment that can be allowed in a libertarian society? What, if anything, changes when children (who can't properly consent) become involved?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Bump!
    Thanks for the bump. ~hugs~ It seems we are in total agreement, simply using slightly different language.
    How Murray put it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    This is an incredibly fascinating thread, and I've learned tons by doing this.
    I'm so glad! Yes, I think Acala had some excellent ideas. Obviously, yes, it's self-serving of me to bump the thread that says something nice about me , but that was not my only reason for bumping it!

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    It seems to me that the ULTIMATE penalty would be death. Could a group of theonomic reconstructionists legitimately create a community (Through voluntary, contractual consent) that punishes adultery, homosexuality blasphemy, etc. by death? Would such a thing be possible on the free market (note: I'm asking if its possible, not if its desirable)? Or is excomunication the most severe punishment that can be allowed in a libertarian society? What, if anything, changes when children (who can't properly consent) become involved?
    Only if the death is to be carried out by the violator's own hand. That is, only if the punishees are committing suicide. Everybody has the right to commit suicide whenever they like (basically), because they own their own body.

For the same reason, the punishment can't be carried out by others against their will. This is for the same reason (its converse, actually): the other members of the community do not own the body of that individual. So even if he freely agreed to it, saying "Oh yeah, if I ever commit blasphemy I agree to be killed," if he changes his mind at the last minute, then sorry, the stoning party is cancelled.
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 09-23-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12