Thread: Black Woman Shot In Face In "White" Neighborhood

Black Woman Shot In Face In "White" Neighborhood

http://news.yahoo.com/autopsy-detroi...233535538.html
    DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) — An autopsy on a 19-year-old woman killed on a suburban Detroit porch where she'd reportedly gone to seek help after a car crash confirms that she died of a gunshot wound to her face.

Renisha McBride, of Detroit, who was black, was fatally shot Nov. 2 in predominantly white Dearborn Heights. Civil rights groups have called for a vigorous prosecution in the case, saying McBride was targeted because of her race.

Prosecutors say they're reviewing whether to charge the 54-year-old homeowner. Wayne County prosecutor's office spokeswoman Maria Miller said Monday a warrant review process is underway as they await information from Dearborn Heights police.
    Police did not return messages seeking comment Monday.

Investigators have said the homeowner told them he thought someone was trying to break into his home and that he accidentally discharged his shotgun.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office report released Monday ruled McBride's death was a homicide. There's no evidence she was shot at close range, according to the report.

The homeowner's attorney, Cheryl Carpenter, told The Detroit News that the man was awakened in the early hours by what sounded like "a person or persons" trying to get into his home. Carpenter said the shooting was justified but did not comment on reports that it was accidental.
    She said she and her client "recognize it's a tragedy and a 19-year-old woman died."

"Let's wait and not prejudice," Carpenter said. "Nobody including the police, the prosecutor or the public has all the information yet."

The article says that Dearborne Heights is predominantly "White". From 2012 Republican Michigan primaries, I thought Dearborne was predominantly Arab. Unless the "heights" part makes it an entirely different neighborhood.

Interesting how the news immediately tries to spin it as a racially charged shooting just because it happened in a white neighborhood and the victim was black.

Wasn't there another case recently where a black football star got in an accident and tried to get help but got shot as well.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dearborn and Dearborn Heights are different cities.

It's a tragedy, and I'm guessing he feels absolutely horrible about it, but I wouldn't convict him.

If I am reading this right, this is why you should never make a statement to the police before consulting with an attorney. Because he said the gun went off accidentally, he's already undermined his own self-defense defense.
    Last edited by angelatc; 11-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Because he said the gun went off accidentally, he's already undermined his own self-defense defense.
    This is true. Comparable to people and their dumb old beware of dog signs. It's like you already knew your dog was going to bite someone the minute they came near.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Dearborn and Dearborn Heights are different cities.

It's a tragedy, and I'm guessing he feels absolutely horrible about it, but I wouldn't convict him.

If I am reading this right, this is why you should never make a statement to the police before consulting with an attorney. Because he said the gun went off accidentally, he's already undermined his own self-defense defense.
    Never. +rep.

How many "white" people got shot in the "black" part of town?

I'd have respect for the story were it posted without the racial connotations.

The local news just updated the story. First, the victim was really really drunk - 2 x's the legal limit. Her family's attorney said that means the homeowner should have viewed her as less of a threat. Because drunk people are never crazy or violent, you know.

Second, the DA has invited the police department to stand behind her tomorrow as she announces whether to prosecute. I suspect she wants to have a pretty blue curtain behind her when she announces that only the police are allowed to shoot people when startled.
    Last edited by angelatc; 11-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.

He should have said he feared for his life, that's the typical cop defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    How many "white" people got shot in the "black" part of town?
    Totally irrelevant. In any event, the answer is "not many."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Renisha McBride, of Detroit, who was black,
    I'd like to see this sort of rigorous journalism on more crime reports.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Totally irrelevant. In any event, the answer is "not many."
    That's because "not many" are silly enough to go to that part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/autopsy-detroi...233535538.html
    The article says that Dearbore Heights is predominantly "White". From 2012 Republican Michigan primaries, I thought Dearborn was predominantly Arab. Unless the "heights" part makes it an entirely different neighborhood.

Interesting how the news immediately tries to spin it as a racially charged shooting just because it happened in a white neighborhood and the victim was black.

Wasn't there another case recently where a black football star got in an accident and tried to get help but got shot as well.
    Arabs are typically considered white, just as most Hispanics are considered white. Think of the predominately white world as North America, South America, Europe, parts of Northern Africa and the Middle East.

Anyway, the article does not say is a Christian, Jew or Muslim likely justifiably killed this woman. It doesn't say if a black, brown or pale person likely justifiably killed this woman. And it's not a positive story either. A confusing story too. I give the story 1 star.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.