Thread: Virginia House of Delegates Special Election (Roanoke)

Virginia House of Delegates Special Election (Roanoke)

Updates

Candidates:

Sam Rasoul (D) -- Democratic candidate for 6th CD in 2008, candidate for mayor in 2012 (tried to primary the sitting mayor)
    Court Rosen (D) -- Vice Mayor
    David Trinkle (D) -- City Councilman
    Keith Weaton (D) -- Served on "various boards/commissions" in Roanoke. Owner of JBT Media Holdings, Inc./Wheaton Consulting (dropped out 27 Nov)
    Trish White-Boyd (D) -- member of the 6th Congressional District Democratic Committee
    Octavia Johnson (R) -- Sheriff; but just lost re-election
    Caleb Coulter (R) -- GOP activist http://caleb4delegate.com (disqualified by GOP)

Photo array (from roanokefreepress.com):

David Trinkle, Court Rosen, Keith Weaton, Sam Rasoul
    Patricia White-Boyd, Octavia Johnson, Caleb Coulter

Original Post:

http://m.roanoke.com/news/politics/2...es-citing.html

Ware to resign from House of Delegates, citing mother’s poor health

Onzlee Ware’s departure will trigger a special election in the 11th House District, which covers most of Roanoke.

Onzlee Ware
    by
    Michael Sluss | 981-3356

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Del. Onzlee Ware, D-Roanoke, said today that he will resign from the House of Delegates and won’t serve the sixth term he was elected to last week.

Ware said he is resigning to spend more time with his ailing mother, who has been in a nursing home since suffering a stroke three months ago. Ware’s mother had been living with him for nearly three years before her health deteriorated over the summer, he said.

Ware said it would be a “great burden” to fulfill his responsibilities as a legislator while also maintaining his Roanoke law practice and looking after his mother’s care. He did not rule out a return to elective office or other public service

“It’s been a tough, tough choice, but I know it’s the right choice to make at this time,” Ware said this morning in a telephone interview from Richmond.

Ware said he informed Gov. Bob McDonnell of his decision this morning.

Ware’s resignation will trigger a special election in the 11th House District, which covers most of Roanoke. The General Assembly’s 2011 reapportionment plan put the entire district within the city limits.

It’s unclear how soon the special election will occur. At least 45 days must elapse between the date on which the governor issues the call for a special election and the election itself. Based on recent history, the special election could occur on Tuesday, Jan. 7, the day before the 2014 General Assembly session begins.

Ware said he hopes Democrats will hold a firehouse primary to nominate a candidate for his seat. He said he has talked with four potential candidates about the seat in recent weeks as rumors swirled about his possible resignation.

Ware, 59, was first elected to the House in 2003, becoming the first black delegate to represent a district west of Lynchburg. The Democrats were in the minority for his entire tenure, but Ware managed to get appointed to the budget-writing House Appropriations Committee in 2006.

Earlier this year, Ware was among a handful of Democrats who delivered key floor votes to keep McDonnell’s transportation funding bill alive in the House. He later was named to a conference committee responsible for reconciling differences between the House and Senate transportation bills.

Ware’s role in the transportation debate fed speculation that he was angling for a judicial appointment that would require approval from his legislative colleagues. He could not be considered for appointment while serving in the legislature.

Ware insisted today that his decision to resign is based entirely on his mother’s health, but he did not rule out the possibility that he could pursue a judicial vacancy in the future.

Ware moved to Roanoke in the 1980s to work for the Boy Scouts of America before starting a law practice in the city. He was well-regarded in Democratic circles as a grassroots field organizer and served a stint as first vice chairman of the state Democratic Party.

When former Del. Clifton “Chip” Woodrum of Roanoke announced his retirement from the House in 2003, Ware jumped into the race to succeed the veteran lawmaker. He won the Democratic primary and then an uncontested general election.
    Last edited by cjm; 12-02-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good. He's a walking conflict of interest in the area.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Looks like Court Rosen has thrown his hat into the ring...

ROANOKE -

Citing his mother's health as the cause, Virginia House of Delegates member Onzlee Ware announced today that he would not be sworn in for the next General Assembly, upcoming on January 8.

Ware's announcement leaves open a seat for the 11th District which represents Roanoke City. City Councilman Court Rosen has already announced plans to run for the vacant seat.

Ware said the decision was not easy, but his mother's recent move into a nursing home prompted months of thought that lead to today's decision. Ware said "my mother and my constituents are too important to receive anything less than my undivided attention."

Ware did not rule out future involvement in politics at the local or state levels. In fact, he looks "forward to serving the people of this great state in any capacity that is asked of me in the future."
    more: http://www.wsls.com/story/23972237/o...e-of-delegates

ETA: above link has been updated. Sam Rasoul has announced his candidacy as well.
    Last edited by cjm; 11-14-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Keith Wheaton is in: (also update OP with full list of candidates)

http://www.roanokefreepress.com/keit...11th-hod-seat/

Keith L. Wheaton enters the Democratic contest for 11th HOD seat

In a statement this afternoon Keith L. Wheaton entered the contest for the Democratic nomination for the special election to be held to replace retiring Delegate Onzlee Ware (D-11). The total running for what is expected to be a firehouse primary or caucus (yet to be determined) comes to five. Jeff Artis has removed himself from contention. Councilman David Trinkle, Vice Mayor Court Rosen, Sam Rasoul and Trish White-Boyd are the other four contenders. Each have the backing of key Democratic officials and operatives.

Sheriff Octavia Johnson is the only Republican so far to have announced her intentions to seek the Republican nomination.

Keith Weaton’s press release:

It is with sincerity and an humble spirit that I announce my candidacy for the vacated 11th District House of Delegates seat.

As a native of Roanoke, who attended Round Hill Elementary, Lucy Addison Jr. High and William Fleming High School, it would be a privilege to represent the citizens of the 11th District. Having grown up and lived in Roanoke for many years, I have come to know the citizens and neighborhoods well. My parents, being community minded, instilled in me the sense of obligation to my church, my neighborhood and my fellow citizens to do the best that I can to assist those in marginalized communities as my abilities allow, and to work for the greater good of all people. I continue to reside not far from where I grew up and constantly keep my ears and eyes open to the issues affecting those who may not have a voice.

My community service within my church, the NAACP and various Roanoke City boards/commissions has allowed me to interact with a variety of residents from the 11th District, hear their concerns, negotiate solutions and act upon them. As the owner of JBT Media Holdings, Inc./Wheaton Consulting, I understand the struggles of small businesses in this very challenging economy, and will work to afford small business owners greater access to capital and tax relief. My love for politics has shown me that active involvement with the political system can change things. I view political participation as a right and a privilege that I do not take lightly. I challenge my fellow citizens to become involved in the political process, attend meetings, meet candidates, express your concerns to elected officials and of course VOTE.

I look forward to a spirited debate of the issues of concern to Virginians in the 11th District, which include, but are not limited to, access to affordable healthcare, Medicaid expansion, equality in education, equal access to the justice system, economic empowerment, access to fresh and healthy food, and affordable housing. I thank the citizens of the 11th District for their consideration in giving me the opportunity to serve, and pledge, if I’m elected to the House, to never forget your concerns, reach across party lines and put politics aside for the good of the public.

H.L. Mencken

Get your credit cards ready, we're going to have a liberty candidate in this race.

H.L. Mencken

Not Sam Rasoul

Healthcare

With my background as a non-profit Healthcare executive in Roanoke, I support:

The immediate implementation of the Affordable Care Act which provides access to Medicaid for working families and creates 30,000 new jobs.

More emphasis on Mental Health issues paid for by prison reforms
    The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Not Sam Rasoul

Healthcare
    The liberty candidate will announce later this week.

H.L. Mencken

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://blogs.roanoke.com/politics/20...ct-house-seat/

Roanoke Republicans have formally set a firehouse primary for Dec. 10 to nominate a candidate for the special election for the 11th District House of Delegates seat.

The primary will take place from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Roanoke Civic Center, said Roanoke City GOP Chairman John Brill. Roanoke Sheriff Octavia Johnson, who lost her bid for a third term earlier this month, and party activist Caleb Coulter have announced their candidacies for the Republican nomination. They have until the end of next week to officially file for the primary, Brill said.

The party initially planned to have voting at three precincts across the city. At the request of both candidates, the primary instead will be held at one central location. Democrats will hold their primary at the civic center’s Special Events Center on Saturday, Dec. 7, with voting running from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The date for the special election has not been set.

H.L. Mencken

Caleb Coulter is a Ron Paul Republican, who was active in the Ron Paul primary campaign in 2012, in the convention process to elect RNC Delegates for Ron Paul, and actually served as an At-Large Delegate from VA himself. In addition, he worked for Karen Kwiatkowski's campaign for Congress last year. CJM and I will be helping with his campaign and hope some of you will take the opportunity to support him as well.

http://www.roanokefreepress.com/cont...forces-caucus/

Contested Republican nomination with two candidates forces caucus

The 11th District House of Delegates has another contender for the Republican Nomination according to Roanoke City Republican Committee Chair John Brill.

The committee will be approving the call for the Firehouse Primary to select a nominee to run for the special election to oppose the winner of the Democrat’s nominee expected to be selected at a caucus on December 7.

The seat is being vacated by Delegate Onzlee Ware, a Democrat.

The date for the Republican Firehouse Primary will be determined Friday, November 22 at noon. The committee will meet at the Law Office of Melvin Williams.

The date for the Firehouse Primary is expected to be December 10 according to Delegate Greg Habeeb.

John Brill in the call stated:

“This will be a contested race. At this point Octavia Johnson and Caleb Coulter have announced their intention to seek the Republican nomination for Delegate District 11. I am pleased to say that I have known both of them for a few years now.

I have known Octavia Johnson since 2009. I helped her by designing her campaign materials for 2009 and 2013, by going door to door for her, and more. I have been impressed with the job that she has done in the 8 years she has served as our sheriff and by her professionalism, integrity, and determination.

I have known Caleb Coulter also since 2009. From then til now I have seem him be one of the most steadfast liberty activists in the Roanoke area. He helped in both Ron Paul’s 2008 and 2012 campaigns. In 2012 the State GOP Convention unanimously elected him and 8 others to be a part of the Virginia Delegation to the Republican National Convention in Tampa.

Because of what I have seen of both of them I can confidently say that our party will be well served by whomever our party decides to nominate”

By Valerie Garner

H.L. Mencken

Caleb's web site is now up: http://caleb4delegate.com

H.L. Mencken

And what do you know. All the other candidates websites are easily accessed from a work computer, but low and behold Caleb's is blocked as malicious content here at work.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    And what do you know. All the other candidates websites are easily accessed from a work computer, but low and behold Caleb's is blocked as malicious content here at work.
    Newly registered sites are often considered a higher risk until they've been around for a while. It is amusing, however, that it's not labeled as a high risk site, but "malicious content." LOL.

H.L. Mencken

Caleb's primary is 2 weeks from today! Any financial support y'all could chip in for his race would be appreciated! There is a donate page on his website. Thanks!

And then there were 6...

Wheaton exits House race

Political newcomer Keith Wheaton has suspended his short-lived campaign for the House of Delegates seat that will be vacated by retiring Roanoke Democrat Onzlee Ware.

In a statement issued late this afternoon, Wheaton attributed his decision to family obligations and business opportunities, but didn’t rule out a future run for office. In a Sunday story reported by Matt Chittum, Wheaton acknowledged interest in running for a seat on the Roanoke City Council. Three council seats will be up for election in May.

Here’s the statement Wheaton released this afternoon:

“Today I am suspending my campaign for the 11th District House of Delegates race. My decision is not due to a desire to finish the race, but to family obligations, the emergence of unexpected business opportunities which need my immediate attention, and a shorter than normal time frame to fully construct a more effective campaign operation.

”I appreciate the public’s interest in my campaign. I also would like to thank those who volunteered their time and efforts to help me promote my vision for the 11th District. I am sure that this is not the last political campaign that I will enter, and I look forward to continuing to serve the citizens of the Roanoke Valley in other capacities in the interim. It is my hope that the remaining candidates will vigorously discuss and debate the issues essential to the marginalized and underrepresented members of our community, and that whoever wins the election will not forget why they were sent to Richmond.”
    http://blogs.roanoke.com/politics/20...ts-house-race/

H.L. Mencken

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Candidate comparison: Facebook Likes (12:15am, 28 Nov):

825 Sam Rasoul (D)
    544 David Trinkle (D)
    315 Trish White-Boyd (D)
    262 Court Rosen (D)
    225 Octavia Johnson (R)
    215 Caleb Coulter (R)

H.L. Mencken

And then there were 5....

Caleb filed last Friday and was out door-knocking with volunteers Saturday. He got a phone call Saturday night saying that the letter he filed was missing some content and that he was disqualified. The official party line is in this morning's e-newsletter without mentioning Caleb's name or any of the details surrounding the disqualification. Draw your own conclusions:
    Delegate District 11 GOP Nominee

The deadline to file as a Republican candidate in the Delegate District 11 special election was 5PM Friday, November 29th. The only candidate to properly file for the Republican nomination for the Delegate District 11 special election was Octavia Johnson.

In accordance with the call, as that only Octavia Johnson properly filed for that nomination, she is hereby declared the Republican nominee and no canvass will be held.

Octavia is an experienced campaigner and has the determination and commitment that we need in a Republican candidate for Delegate District 11. We need Octavia to carry our conservative principles to Richmond and now we can get to work helping her win in the January 7th Special Election.

H.L. Mencken