Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Christian Misleads Restaurant Waiter With Fake $10 Bill Containing Hidden Bible Verse (Photos)

  1. #1

    Christian Misleads Restaurant Waiter With Fake $10 Bill Containing Hidden Bible Verse (Photos)

    http://aattp.org/christian-misleads-...-verse-photos/

    In case you were unaware, servers make less than $3.00 an hour and rely on their tips, which are then taxed. Some nights the tips are good, and then again, some are bad.

    In a sick attempt to convert someone to another religion, some deranged person left a tip, although, it wasn’t monetary. The tip was a fake $10 bill that read “SOME THINGS ARE BETTER THAN MONEY”…”like your eternal salvation that was brought and paid for by Jesus going to the cross.”
    Obviously, the server was not too happy about this “tip.” Jesus going to the cross has little to do with the keeping the lights on in your home. There’s a time and a place for religion. Church is one of those places. Leaving a “token of God” as a tip for exceptional service is not. It appears that by doing this, you have actually accomplished exactly the opposite of what you set out to do.
    You misled or lied to the receiver of the “kind advice,” and you also probably made someone hate your religion even more than they probably did in the first place. By leaving religious rhetoric as opposed to tipping your server with actual money, you are telling your server ‘You are not a person, but rather just a cog in the wheel of my Christian pride.’
    Click the image to enlarge.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

    When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    I wonder how the author of this article knows anything about who left that and what their motivation was.

    I also wonder why it's newsworthy, regardless of the answers to those questions. I bet that every day there are a million instances of somebody not getting tipped for something they usually get tipped for.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    http://aattp.org/christian-misleads-...-verse-photos/

    In case you were unaware, servers make less than $3.00 an hour and rely on their tips, which are then taxed. Some nights the tips are good, and then again, some are bad.

    In a sick attempt to convert someone to another religion, some deranged person left a tip, although, it wasn’t monetary. The tip was a fake $10 bill that read “SOME THINGS ARE BETTER THAN MONEY”…”like your eternal salvation that was brought and paid for by Jesus going to the cross.”
    Obviously, the server was not too happy about this “tip.” Jesus going to the cross has little to do with the keeping the lights on in your home. There’s a time and a place for religion. Church is one of those places. Leaving a “token of God” as a tip for exceptional service is not. It appears that by doing this, you have actually accomplished exactly the opposite of what you set out to do.
    You misled or lied to the receiver of the “kind advice,” and you also probably made someone hate your religion even more than they probably did in the first place. By leaving religious rhetoric as opposed to tipping your server with actual money, you are telling your server ‘You are not a person, but rather just a cog in the wheel of my Christian pride.’
    Click the image to enlarge.
    That is horribly tacky, and not a very loving and kind thing to do. There is an epidemic of Christians that look down their noses at others...... it is sick and sad. And it is definitely NOT the way Jesus intended it to be. Jesus railed the Pharisees for their pious arrogance.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

  5. #4
    I think they should also have left real money, it would have been a better showing of Christian love. But I completely disagree that "Religion is for church only." There is no message more important than how people can be saved from their sins through the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ our Savior.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I think they should also have left real money, it would have been a better showing of Christian love. But I completely disagree that "Religion is for church only." There is no message more important than how people can be saved from their sins through the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ our Savior.
    I doubt that their intent was to show Christian love.

    But who knows?

    The author of the article in the OP acts like they do. But I doubt that they do.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    That is horribly tacky, and not a very loving and kind thing to do. There is an epidemic of Christians that look down their noses at others...... it is sick and sad. And it is definitely NOT the way Jesus intended it to be. Jesus railed the Pharisees for their pious arrogance.
    I admit that giving this without money was kind of thoughtless, but how do you know what their intentions were?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I doubt that their intent was to show Christian love.

    But who knows?

    The author of the article in the OP acts like they do. But I doubt that they do.
    If you really think about it, isn't it even worse to pay the tip but leave the waiter/waitress possibly ignorant of the gospel?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  9. #8
    Here's one thing I can say with pretty high confidence:
    That tract wasn't made for that purpose. It was made for someone to leave somewhere to make people think they just found a $10 bill, so that when they read it they'll laugh at how they got pranked and hopefully think about the message.

    Here's something I can say with slightly less certainty:
    One of two things is true. Either the person who left that for the waiter knew that that wasn't what that tract was for and that doing that would be a terrible way to share the Gospel with someone, or they weren't a Christian at all, and they enjoyed killing two birds with one stone, both gipping their waiter and getting a jab in against Christians.

    Here's another thing I can say with certainty:
    When people don't tip waiters, they usually have a reason. It might be a bad reason. But in their own minds, they tend to be convinced that the waiter didn't deserve a tip.
    Last edited by erowe1; 11-13-2013 at 09:25 PM.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    If you really think about it, isn't it even worse to pay the tip but leave the waiter/waitress possibly ignorant of the gospel?
    Those aren't mutually exclusive things. It costs the same amount to give a tip and share the Gospel as it does to give a tip.

    Plus, no, I do think this was worse. It didn't just share the Gospel, it gave people a reason to slander it. I have a hunch that the person who left it was fine with that.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    If you really think about it, isn't it even worse to pay the tip but leave the waiter/waitress possibly ignorant of the gospel?

    Yeah, they could have left nothing and no message of salvation. However deceiving them by making them think they got a big tip to only realize it is fake is not right. Christians don't seek to deceive people, that is what the devil does.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Here's one thing I can say with pretty high confidence:
    That tract wasn't made for that purpose. It was made for someone to leave somewhere to make people think they just found a $10 bill, so that when they read it they'll laugh at how they got pranked and hopefully think about the message.
    That's likely. The living waters (Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron) "money" tracts are million dollar bills so its obvious they are fake.
    Here's something I can say with slightly less certainty:
    One of two things is true. Either the person who left that for the waiter knew that that wasn't what that tract was for and that doing that would be a terrible way to share the Gospel with someone, or they weren't a Christian at all, and they enjoyed killing two birds with one stone, both gipping their waiter and getting a jab in against Christians.
    I hope it was the first one, but you're right that it might have been the second one too.
    Here's another thing I can say with certainty:
    When people don't tip waiters, they usually have a reason. It might be a bad reason. But in their own minds, they tend to be convinced that the waiter didn't deserve a tip.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Those aren't mutually exclusive things. It costs the same amount to give a tip and share the Gospel as it does to give a tip.
    I agree. I condemned the person for not also tipping. But that's what I have a problem with, the not tipping, not the fact that they gave a tract at all.


    Plus, no, I do think this was worse. It didn't just share the Gospel, it gave people a reason to slander it. I have a hunch that the person who left it was fine with that.
    Valid point. The free-willism and "Christ died for your sins" (But you only might be saved) bugged me as it does with many tracts as well. I don't know exactly where you stand on this (I feel like you said something along the lines that you might believe in limited atonement depending on how its defined, but I don't remember what you said) but I could never tell a random person that Christ died for them. That cheapens the gospel IMO.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Yeah, they could have left nothing and no message of salvation. However deceiving them by making them think they got a big tip to only realize it is fake is not right. Christians don't seek to deceive people, that is what the devil does.
    I still don't like the fact that its a 10. As I said, the Living Waters Tract is a 1,000,000 so its immediately obvious that its fake (OK, so a total idiot might not realize it, but the INTENT is not to trick anyone... it even says on the bill that its NOT legal tender.) And I agree that they should have given a real tip as well as a gospel tract. But I don't think giving a gospel tract is wrong in and of itself.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  15. #13
    They should have left that along with a real tip.

  16. #14

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I admit that giving this without money was kind of thoughtless, but how do you know what their intentions were?
    Well MAYBE I am being presumptuous, but unless the service was absolutely terrible and they deserved no tip.... it would have seemed like more of a cruel joke than someone trying to spread the gospel in a loving manner. Most people already know that someone who is waiting tables is not making a lot of money and their tips are what they survive on from day to day. They may have been depending on their tips for gas money, or lunch money for their child. To put a fake ten dollar bill in there, even if it would have been monopoly money and said nothing about Jesus would have seemed cruel,..... but to then associate Jesus with an action like that???? It does not make for a very good witness. Just try to put yourself in the shoes of that person receiving that tip. How would it have made you feel? Would you have been very receptive to what the message was if it were associated with a cruel joke?
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

  18. #16
    "Some things are better than money"

    I'm sure god paid the waiter's bills and put food on his table.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    I could only hope another waiter somewhere serves this person some fake plastic food with the same message underneath.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I wonder how the author of this article knows anything about who left that and what their motivation was.
    What do you mean? What makes you wonder that?

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I also wonder why it's newsworthy, regardless of the answers to those questions. I bet that every day there are a million instances of somebody not getting tipped for something they usually get tipped for.
    It's "newsworthy" not because a tip wasn't left by a customer, but rather because of the clever & creative aspect of how the waiter was stiffed.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    What do you mean? What makes you wonder that?
    The headline says "Christian," and the article refers to "what they set out to do," as if there's a way to know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    It's "newsworthy" not because a tip wasn't left by a customer, but rather because of the clever & creative aspect of how the waiter was stiffed.
    Not really.

  23. #20
    could have given lousy service. I don't tip if my drink runs out and they never refill it.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    If you really think about it, isn't it even worse to pay the tip but leave the waiter/waitress possibly ignorant of the gospel?
    I'm thinking "worse" is thinking someone is going to receive unwelcome proselytizing as anything but a big ol' middle finger.
    Oligarchy delenda est

    “If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.” - Samuel Adams

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    Well MAYBE I am being presumptuous, but unless the service was absolutely terrible and they deserved no tip.... it would have seemed like more of a cruel joke than someone trying to spread the gospel in a loving manner. Most people already know that someone who is waiting tables is not making a lot of money and their tips are what they survive on from day to day. They may have been depending on their tips for gas money, or lunch money for their child. To put a fake ten dollar bill in there, even if it would have been monopoly money and said nothing about Jesus would have seemed cruel,..... but to then associate Jesus with an action like that???? It does not make for a very good witness. Just try to put yourself in the shoes of that person receiving that tip. How would it have made you feel? Would you have been very receptive to what the message was if it were associated with a cruel joke?
    I agree. And thus I agree with what TaftFan said, and what I've been saying since the beginning of the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by shane77m View Post
    could have given lousy service. I don't tip if my drink runs out and they never refill it.
    If you are going to do that, don't associate it with the gospel you believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I'm thinking "worse" is thinking someone is going to receive unwelcome proselytizing as anything but a big ol' middle finger.

    If someone's house was on fire, would you care if they wanted to hear it or not?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The headline says "Christian," and the article refers to "what they set out to do," as if there's a way to know that.
    They way you're describing it makes it seem like you're trying to say that the article claims that this is how all Christians roll. When I actually read the article, it talks about what one Christian - "some deranged person" - did, and it does not in any way appear to be attempting to portray that act as the modus operandi of all Christians.

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Not really.
    You mean like much of what makes for news stories, even front page news in some cases?

  27. #24
    How about if the waiter drops the fake $10 bill in the collection plate next Sunday?



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    If you really think about it, isn't it even worse to pay the tip but leave the waiter/waitress possibly ignorant of the gospel?
    Not really

    It's not unreasonable to assume that this was a minor but negative experience for the waiter. And It's associated with the customer's religion.


    So, Would you say that it's helpful or harmful if someone has a negative experience associated with your religion?
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    They way you're describing it makes it seem like you're trying to say that the article claims that this is how all Christians roll. When I actually read the article, it talks about what one Christian - "some deranged person" - did, and it does not in any way appear to be attempting to portray that act as the modus operandi of all Christians.
    No, I agree with you about how to read it. But what makes this author think they know anything at all about who gave that tip and what their motivation was?

    Was it a Christian? We don't know. Did they think they were doing something good? We don't know. Did their action have the opposite effect of what they set out to do? We don't know, because we don't know what they set out to do.

    The author of the article pretends to know all those things. But they don't give us any indication of how they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    You mean like much of what makes for news stories, even front page news in some cases?
    Nope. I still don't see it. Not tipping happens a million times a day.
    Last edited by erowe1; 11-14-2013 at 10:45 AM.

  31. #27
    Ban Christians.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

    Not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The man did not think clearly. It was almost as if he had brain cancer of something.

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    No, I agree with you about how to read it. But what makes this author think they know anything at all about who gave that tip and what their motivation was?
    Seems to me that answers can be found for all the relevant questions.

    Q: Who left that tip?
    A: Some deranged person. (Is this in dispute, or is there anything that warrants something to the contrary?)

    Q: What was their motivation?
    A: To trick the waiter into thinking it was a $10 tip, and to leave religious rhetoric with the waiter.

    All the proof to the 2nd question is on that one card and where it was left. One side was printed to appear to be a $10 bill, and the other side had religious material.

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Was it a Christian? We don't know.
    I don't get that. The author is making that assertion and has grounds for making it. When I try to challenge the assertion by examining the evidence, all I can find is that the assertion is true, which means "we" do know (or at least it seems to me that I know). What reason warrants that the person might be anything other than a Christian?

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Did they think they were doing something good? We don't know. Did their action have the opposite effect of what they set out to do? We don't know, because we don't know what they set out to do.
    We know what happened, regardless of what the customer might have been thinking; that's what mainly counts. If you're trying to say that you're a Christian, and as one you would never do such a mean-spirited misleading thing; therefore, this advice from the author doesn't apply to you, then that's fine; but that's not sufficient to argue that there's anything wrong with the author's assertion that the person who left the tip was a Christian.

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The author of the article pretends to know all those things. But they don't give us any indication of how they do.
    I don't see where the author's doing any pretending about knowing anything. This author starts of by saying "it appears that by doing this...." That seems like a reasonable way of indicating things to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Nope. I still don't see it. Not tipping happens a million times a day.
    What I had actually said was this: "It's "newsworthy" not because a tip wasn't left by a customer, but rather because of the clever & creative aspect of how the waiter was stiffed."

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    Seems to me that answers can be found for all the relevant questions.

    Q: Who left that tip?
    A: Some deranged person. (Is this in dispute, or is there anything that warrants something to the contrary?)

    Q: What was their motivation?
    A: To trick the waiter into thinking it was a $10 tip, and to leave religious rhetoric with the waiter.
    But that's not the way the author of the article answered those questions. If they had put it the way you did, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    I don't get that. The author is making that assertion and has grounds for making it. When I try to challenge the assertion by examining the evidence, all I can find is that the assertion is true, which means "we" do know (or at least it seems to me that I know). What reason warrants that the person might be anything other than a Christian?
    What evidence? I saw no evidence at all that this tip was left by a Christian. We don't know who this person was. Why not just leave it at that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    We know what happened, regardless of what the customer might have been thinking; that's what mainly counts.
    I agree. Unfortunately, the author of the article saw it differently.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    I don't see where the author's doing any pretending about knowing anything.
    The only way you can say that this had the opposite effect from what the person intended is if you know what they intended. Therefore, in saying this, the author pretends to know what they intended.

    Maybe they intended to be a jerk. Maybe they intended to get back at the waiter for bad service. Maybe they intended to make Christians look like jerks.

    If their intend was any of those things, then what they did DID have the desired effect. By saying that it didn't, the author is claiming to know that none of those things were the desired effect.

  34. #30
    What if the headline was the following?
    Muslim Misleads Waiter into Thinking Some Christian Didn't Tip Him
    Would you then ask, "Given the facts of the case, I wonder how the author knows this?"

    If so, then you should ask the same question of the headline as given.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Challenge: Find a Bible verse that says grace is irresistible
    By jmdrake in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 01-03-2016, 01:39 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
  3. Feds Force Okla. Bank To Remove Crosses, Bible Verse
    By cindy25 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
  4. Bible verse supporting limited government
    By AggieforPaul in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •