Thread: One World Trade Center named tallest US building

One World Trade Center named tallest US building

Had it not been a potent symbol would they have called a 400 ft TV antenna part of the building? Now it will be that "patriotic" 1776 feet tall and the tallest building in the country (and third tallest in the world).

Those aspirations of global supremacy fell by the wayside long ago, but New York won a consolation prize Tuesday when an international architectural panel said it would recognize One World Trade Center as the tallest skyscraper in the United States.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, considered a world authority on supersized skyscrapers, announced its decision at simultaneous news conferences in New York and Chicago, home to the 1,451-foot Willis Tower, which is being dethroned as the nation's tallest building.

Measuring the height of a building would seem to be a simple thing, but in the case of the new World Trade Center tower it is complicated by the 408-foot-tall needle atop the skyscraper's roof.

The council's verdict rested on a conclusion that the needle should be counted as part of the building's total height. Without it, the tower would be just 1,368 feet tall, the same height as the original World Trade Center. That would make it smaller than not only the Willis, but also a 1,397-foot apartment building being built a short subway ride away near Central Park.

Speaking at his office in New York, council chairman Timothy Johnson, an architect at the global design firm NBBJ, said the decision by the 25-member height committee had more "tense moments" than usual, given the skyscraper's importance as a patriotic symbol.

"I was here on 9/11. I saw the buildings come down," he said.

Over the past few months, the council had hinted that it might be open to changing its standards for measuring ultra-tall buildings, given a trend toward developers adding "vanity height" to towers with huge, decorative spires.

But the council also has a history of disallowing antennas in height calculations. The Empire State Building's landmark 204-foot needle isn't counted in its height measurement. Neither are the two TV antennas atop the Willis Tower, which had been the country's tallest building since it was completed — and named the Sears Tower — in 1974.

But in the end, there was unanimity on the committee that One World Trade Center's reach for 1,776 feet — a number that echoes the founding year of the United States — was an artistic architectural expression.

"This was a quest to put something meaningful and symbolic on that site because of the horrible history of what happened on that site," said Antony Wood, the council's executive director.
    More at link. http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...e-77827495865c

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Had it not been a potent symbol would they have called a 400 ft TV antenna part of the building? Now it will be that "patriotic" 1776 feet tall and the tallest building in the country (and third tallest in the world).
    Antennas are usually not counted in total height, but spires are.

I'll just put this here.

It's unfinished in that picture (and it should say "minaret")

This is what it will look like when completed:

This is what it looks like at the moment:

Last edited by eduardo89; 11-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Just a TV tower?

I was think Tesla Death Ray to hit any incoming aircraft.

It seems kind of weird in the age of Cable and Satellite and Internet Streaming Video to invest so much into broadcasting Television from a tower. Are these people living in the 1990s?
    Last edited by VIDEODROME; 11-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    It seems kind of weird in the age of Cable and Satellite and Internet Streaming Video to invest so much into broadcasting Television from a tower. Are these people living in the 1990s?
    It's more than just for TV, good luck getting an LTE connection, or any mobile service at all for that matter, without antennas.

From the lakes of Minnesota.

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Just a TV tower?

I was think Tesla Death Ray to hit any incoming aircraft.

I am sure it carry WAY more signal than just broadcast tv. I used to swap/repair radio transmitters and receivers for WAN/LAN bridges and I'd be shocked to my core if this spire didn't already have a good 50 of these on it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    It's unfinished in that picture (and it should say "minaret")

This is what it will look like when completed:

Thanks for the pictures. They said they were not going to do the "shroud" over the spire after all. That made it more controversial as to whether or not the spire should count as part of the height. In the end, they said it was still a "permanant" part of the building.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/travel...t-us-building/
    As the building was originally designed, the needle atop the tower was to be enclosed in a radome, an architectural structure made of fiberglass and steel. But the proposed radome -- short for radar dome -- would not be able to be serviced or maintained, so the cladding plan was nixed.
    The council, an independent organization that certifies the official height of skyscrapers and acknowledges record-setting buildings, counts spires and structural elements in its height calculations. But it doesn't count antennas, signage or flagpoles, which are considered "functional-technical equipment subject to change."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.

One World Trade Center tower declared highest in U.S.

While this is impressive, does not seem prudent to be advertizing stats like this as long as US is funding occupation of Palestinians in mideast considering recent history. Also counting fancy antenne in building height will only start the race to build highest antennas among US cities looking for highest building rank:

One World Trade Center tower declared highest in U.S.

The Council on Tall Buildings says the tower's spire is an integral part of the structure and should be counted, making the official height 1,776 feet.

The spire atop One World Trade Center in New York is included in the official height of the tower, a committee has ruled. (Gary He / European Pressphoto Agency / May 10, 2013)

By Tina Susman November 12, 2013, 6:43 p.m.

NEW YORK — Building experts declared New York's new World Trade Center tower the highest skyscraper in the country Tuesday, knocking Chicago's Willis Tower from the spot it has held for nearly 40 years and answering the burning question in high-rise circles: When is a long pointy thing protruding from a roof more than just a long pointy thing?
    When it's a spire, according to the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, which said the Lower Manhattan building's 408-foot spire was permanently attached to the structure and crucial to its overall character.
    That sets it apart from antennas, flagpoles, lightning rods and other building additions that are purely functional and not part of the aesthetic design, the council's chairman, Timothy Johnson, said at a news conference in New York. As he spoke, officials of the council — an international nonprofit organization recognized as the arbiter of high-rise heights — delivered the news at a separate media conference in Chicago.
    "Conceptually, from the architect's point of view, it's a major part of the building, and we agreed," said Johnson, describing the spire and lights housed within it as a "welcoming beacon" reminiscent of the Statue of Liberty's golden torch. "In a way, a light of memory," Johnson said of the spire, which had always been part of the building plan.
    What changed, and what raised questions as to the structure's ultimate height, was the design around the spire. Originally, it was to have been encased in fiberglass panels. Last year, the building's architects dropped the panels, a move that saved millions of dollars in construction costs and ensured that the spire would be easier to maintain.
    That put the council in the position of ruling on whether the spire was a fancy antenna or part of the building's official "architectural" height.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...0,438050.story

LOL, bet there is a building in Denver Colorado that is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. They said they were not going to do the "shroud" over the spire after all. That made it more controversial as to whether or not the spire should count as part of the height. In the end, they said it was still a "permanant" part of the building.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/travel...t-us-building/
    Ah yes, reading the debate on SkyScraperCity Forums I can see that. It seems that it was $20 million cheaper not to clad the antenna and make it into a true spire. This ruling certainly is controversial.

Great so after making it such a sizable target and crowning it as a jewel to be treasured and evidence of the American spirit to overcome the turrarists, any bets how long until tptb are able to incite some home grown or ME folks to attack so they can roll out the drones here? We just need one more biggie imo to eliminate any vestige of belief in a right to privacy.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

so what?

This is even a story worth printing?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Inside Job.
    False Flag.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BS... The Sears Tower has more floors than One WTC. They put some stupid "spire" on it to make it that tallest and get crowned the new king of tall buildings in the US. The Sears Tower should just put some dumb spire on top to make themselves 1776+1 feet tall, just to piss them off.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

And who the F__K is the "Council on Tall Buildings"???? Can I start a "Council to Review the Naming of Stupid Councils?"
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

USA's highest, woo hoo! Now I can sleep soundly once again knowing this is one nation, barely under god.

I dare say, all of the buildings in Denver Colorado are higher than One World Trade Center.

Sears Tower = Willis Tower

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Inside Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    False Flag.
    They technically are not always same thing. Tonkin gulf attack on US boats was both "inside job" and "falser flag". Operation Suzanah/Lavon Affair attacks on US/UK buildings were just "False Flag".

Abu Zubaydah
    Son of a Palestinian refugee, Abu Zubaydah moved to the West Bank as a teenager, where he joined in Palestinian demonstrations against the Israelis.

100,000 Palestinians have a score to settle with Israel
    Nov. 13, 2013
    The IDF is calling these incidents “atmosphere attacks” - acts inspired by the tense atmosphere in the West Bank.

Exclusive: Abu Zubaydah wanted to 'bring America to its knees' after 9/11

by Jason Leopold

November 12, 2013 11:00AM ET

The Guantanamo detainee's diary reveals complexity of Al-Qaeda'€™s milieu in months leading up to the Sept. 11 attacks
    Topics:Abu ZubaydahInternationalGuantanamo Bay

Smoke billowing after attacks on the Twin Towers in New York on Sept. 11, 2001.Marty Lederhandler/AP

Zain Abidin Mohammed Husain Abu Zubaydah, one of the highest-value detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was building a network to wage a war that would "bring America to its knees" before he was captured in 2002, his personal diaries show. In the document, Abu Zubaydah recounts the chaotic aftermath of the 9/11 attacks on the United States and the toppling of Afghanistan’s Taliban regime, which provided shelter for men like him and Osama bin Laden.
    After describing how he helped fellow fighters flee from Afghanistan to Pakistan, Abu Zubaydah writes of forming a network of trainers capable of teaching skills like bomb making in a new organization with ambitious plans to attack Israel. He notes that he returned to Afghanistan with $50,000 "to participate in any jihadist operation against the Jews" that he intended to carry out in Iran or Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I dare say, all of the buildings in Denver Colorado are higher than One World Trade Center.
    I dare say that the citizens of Colorado are higher than those in at least 48 other states.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    And who the F__K is the "Council on Tall Buildings"???? Can I start a "Council to Review the Naming of Stupid Councils?"
    Yes, you could. The Council on Tall Buildings a private non-profit.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I dare say that the citizens of Colorado are higher than those in at least 48 other states.
    You mean on weed or altitude
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    LOL, I never thought about it that way. They have more than one way to be high.

Now tall is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You mean on weed or altitude
    Um. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    LOL, I never thought about it that way. They have more than one way to be high.

Now tall is a different story.
    I dunno man, Kenny isn't exactly dwarfish.