Thread: Who is good among the Senate potentials to unseat Shaheen?

Who is good among the Senate potentials to unseat Shaheen?

I expect to be moving up for the FSP next year and would be ready in time to vote, so Id like to start getting to know the potentials now. Also Im genuinely curious, being a political junkie.

Whos good? Whos bad? And why is Scott Brown a potential?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...4#Candidates_2

Declared

Andy Martin, perennial candidate[3]
    Jim Rubens, Chairman of the Granite State Coalition Against Expanded Gambling, former State Senator and candidate for Governor in 1998[4]

Potential

Rich Ashooh, candidate for New Hampshire's 1st congressional district in 2010[5]
    Bill Binnie, industrialist, investment banker and candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2010[6]
    Scott Brown, former U.S. Senator from Massachusetts[7]
    David M. Cote, Chairman and CEO of Honeywell[5]
    Mark Steyn, conservative author and political commentator[8]
    Fred Tausch, businessman[9]
    Karen Testerman, conservative activist and candidate for Governor in 2010[10]
    Fran Wendelboe, former State Representative and candidate for New Hampshire's 1st congressional district in 2002[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juvanya View Post
    And why is Scott Brown a potential?
    He lives in New Hampshire.

Because he owns a home in New Hampshire, Brown is eligible to challenge Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who is up for re-election in 2014. When asked if he would pursue this possibility, he stated, "I'm not going to rule anything out right now."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_...-Senate_career

It seems like most free staters focus their efforts on state and local races, where they can have the most impact.

From that list I like Bill Binnie, especially if he is willing to self-finance. Cote has a good resume but is too tied in with Obama.

How about our lord and savior, Ken Cuccinelli.

Peter Schiff should buy a house in New Hampshire and give it another shot. He would certainly have a better chance than he did in Connecticut. Plus if he establishes residency there he won't have to pay a state income tax (6.5% in CT)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSarnowski View Post
    It seems like most free staters focus their efforts on state and local races, where they can have the most impact.

From that list I like Bill Binnie, especially if he is willing to self-finance. Cote has a good resume but is too tied in with Obama.
    Bill Binnie rang a bell in my head I think and looked potentially good based on the limited wiki info. Ill check him out.

Peter Schiff should buy a house in New Hampshire and give it another shot. He would certainly have a better chance than he did in Connecticut. Plus if he establishes residency there he won't have to pay a state income tax (6.5% in CT)
    LOL I always wondered why he lives in that state. But why not? All the cool kids are doing it, it seems.

I'm pretty sure you pay income taxes where you earn it, not where you live. Non-residents pay income taxes in most states if they make money there.

Quote Originally Posted by juvanya View Post
    Bill Binnie rang a bell in my head I think and looked potentially good based on the limited wiki info. Ill check him out.

LOL I always wondered why he lives in that state. But why not? All the cool kids are doing it, it seems.
    The thing is Binnie's pro-choice position probably will make it difficult for him to get through the primary.

Schiff lives in Greenwich, a very Tony town right outside of NYC. It initially became popular decades ago before the "temporary" state income tax was introduced in CT.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you pay income taxes where you earn it, not where you live. Non-residents pay income taxes in most states if they make money there.
    Yeah I think you're right as far as salary but maybe not other income like dividends. A few years ago my uncle retired from a big corp in CT with a nice pension, and bought a house in Florida where he now spends 51% of his time, so as to establish residency. He told me the tax savings nearly cover his mortgage. So I guess the pension is attached to him and not the state where it originated (which would make sense).

The thing is Binnie's pro-choice position probably will make it difficult for him to get through the primary.

Schiff lives in Greenwich, a very Tony town right outside of NYC. It initially became popular decades ago before the "temporary" state income tax was introduced in CT.
    Argh, see thats what bothers me on both sides. Im pro-life, but Im also realistic.

I guess its too much of a hassle to move and he likes it there. Closest you can get to NYC without being in one of the least free states. :P

Yeah I think you're right as far as salary but maybe not other income like dividends. A few years ago my uncle retired from a big corp in CT with a nice pension, and bought a house in Florida where he now spends 51% of his time, so as to establish residency. He told me the tax savings nearly cover his mortgage. So I guess the pension is attached to him and not the state where it originated (which would make sense).
    I think in most states its by where you live. I know in NY or NYC at least they tax everyone who works there, and NJ gives an exemption so you dont get double taxed. The City and upstate really oughta split up. Upstate would become awesome like Vermont and NH. Just carve out the lower counties, the five boroughs and maybe a little more of Long Island.

Scott Brown

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    He lives in New Hampshire.
    For my 2 cents worth I don't trust Scott Brown.