Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Divine Liturgy experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Soon enough my brother and you too will commune of the Holy Gifts, the heavenly manna for eternal life!

The next upcoming weeks of Great and Holy Lent leading to the Paschal celebration of our Lord's resurrection have the most beautiful and solemn services of the year. I pray The Lord continues to bless and fill you with the Holy Spirit in the following weeks until the day we worship and glorify God together and sing 'Christ is Risen from the dead, trampling down death by His death, and to those in the tombs, bestowing life!'
    Thanks!~hugs~
    'Christ is Risen from the dead, trampling down death by His death, and to those in the tombs, bestowing life!'
    There's a choral tune that's part of the repertoire almost every week that contains this text! I believe it's a troparion. IDR the name right now.. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HB, just came across this article and thought you might like it.

Met. Ephrem (Kyriakos) on the Divine Liturgy

The Divine Liturgy: The Sacrament of Thanksgiving

The most important prayer that we give to God is prayer of thanksgiving. The Divine Liturgy is the prayer of thanksgiving par excellence. Why? Because the best thing we can thank God for is His divine sacrifice on the cross for the salvation of our souls. "It is meet and right to praise Thee, to bless Thee and to worship Thee in every place of Thy dominion... Thou brought us out of nothing into being... For all of these things we give thanks to Thee... for all things of which we know and of which we know not, whether manifest or unseen..."

We do not give thanks to God only for money. We do not thank Him only for health. Health is not always useful and it does not always bring us closer to God. We also say in Liturgy, "We thank Thee for this divine sacrifice which Thou hast found worthy to accept at our hands..." The most important thing that happened in history was the divine sacrifice on the cross.

The divine liturgy is a wedding, wherein we are united to Christ by means of the Gospel and of partaking. It is a spiritual wedding where we pray that we may feel that we are poor before God. This is the most important grace that God gives us.

In Greek we call it the Eucharist, that is the giver of every grace.

The reason for coming to the liturgy is faith, thanksgiving, and giving praise and glory. We might not understand everything that is said and everything that happens at the liturgy. The encounter with the Lord amidst the assembly of the faithful, this is what is most important. There we share in the Lord's table.

We do not remain isolated in our homes. In Greek we also call partaking "koinonia", which means "society" or "communion". There is no private liturgy for a particular family. We are always together.

When someone says that "the liturgy is private", this does not mean anything in the Church's understanding. The sacrament of baptism, the sacrament of marriage, all the sacraments were performed with the community at the divine liturgy, as was priestly ordination. The priest does not perform the divine sacrifice alone. The priest stands as a representative in the presence of God, bearing with him the community and the world because the liturgy is the lifting up of the entire universe. Here is the entrance into the eternal kingdom of the Trinity.

"Blessed is the kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages, amen...." This is how we would like our days to be, filled with God's presence. The believer is always reaching upwards, from earth to heaven, from bodily things to spiritual things. This is his ongoing struggle. It is the constant motion as long as we are in the body, estranged from God, until God reigns over our hearts in the kingdom of His love. When the believers taste the Gospel and the body of the Lord, they place themselves between the first coming and the second coming.

In sum, beloved, let all come to the divine liturgy and taste how good the Lord is!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    HB, just came across this article and thought you might like it.

Met. Ephrem (Kyriakos) on the Divine Liturgy

The Divine Liturgy: The Sacrament of Thanksgiving

The most important prayer that we give to God is prayer of thanksgiving. The Divine Liturgy is the prayer of thanksgiving par excellence. Why? Because the best thing we can thank God for is His divine sacrifice on the cross for the salvation of our souls. "It is meet and right to praise Thee, to bless Thee and to worship Thee in every place of Thy dominion... Thou brought us out of nothing into being... For all of these things we give thanks to Thee... for all things of which we know and of which we know not, whether manifest or unseen..."

We do not give thanks to God only for money. We do not thank Him only for health. Health is not always useful and it does not always bring us closer to God. We also say in Liturgy, "We thank Thee for this divine sacrifice which Thou hast found worthy to accept at our hands..." The most important thing that happened in history was the divine sacrifice on the cross.

The divine liturgy is a wedding, wherein we are united to Christ by means of the Gospel and of partaking. It is a spiritual wedding where we pray that we may feel that we are poor before God. This is the most important grace that God gives us.

In Greek we call it the Eucharist, that is the giver of every grace.

The reason for coming to the liturgy is faith, thanksgiving, and giving praise and glory. We might not understand everything that is said and everything that happens at the liturgy. The encounter with the Lord amidst the assembly of the faithful, this is what is most important. There we share in the Lord's table.

We do not remain isolated in our homes. In Greek we also call partaking "koinonia", which means "society" or "communion". There is no private liturgy for a particular family. We are always together.

When someone says that "the liturgy is private", this does not mean anything in the Church's understanding. The sacrament of baptism, the sacrament of marriage, all the sacraments were performed with the community at the divine liturgy, as was priestly ordination. The priest does not perform the divine sacrifice alone. The priest stands as a representative in the presence of God, bearing with him the community and the world because the liturgy is the lifting up of the entire universe. Here is the entrance into the eternal kingdom of the Trinity.

"Blessed is the kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages, amen...." This is how we would like our days to be, filled with God's presence. The believer is always reaching upwards, from earth to heaven, from bodily things to spiritual things. This is his ongoing struggle. It is the constant motion as long as we are in the body, estranged from God, until God reigns over our hearts in the kingdom of His love. When the believers taste the Gospel and the body of the Lord, they place themselves between the first coming and the second coming.

In sum, beloved, let all come to the divine liturgy and taste how good the Lord is!
    Nice! It's very difficult to capture the spirit and beauty of liturgy, but that ^^ is getting pretty close.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Today was the Sunday of Forgiveness and Cheese Fare. What was most interesting was that we formed opposing lines around the parish. Then as each person passes by, we kiss them on the cheek and say "God forgives you". A lot of people only kiss one cheek, but quite a few, I noticed, get carried away and kiss both cheeks. It was as good, if not better, than several dozen ~hugs~. Afterward in fellowship hour there was plenty of free mideastern food, which was yummy. TER, danke, and eduardo would've enjoyed it for sure. A lot of others would as well.

ETA: The kids were very funny and cute about it. Some were really into it, and others don't want to wait for tall adults like myself and several other guys to kneel down to their level, so they just run past.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Today was the Sunday of Forgiveness and Cheese Fare. What was most interesting was that we formed opposing lines around the parish. Then as each person passes by, we kiss them on the cheek and say "God forgives you". A lot of people only kiss one cheek, but quite a few, I noticed, get carried away and kiss both cheeks. It was as good, if not better, than several dozen ~hugs~. Afterward in fellowship hour there was plenty of free mideastern food, which was yummy. TER, danke, and eduardo would've enjoyed it for sure. A lot of others would as well.
    Sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Sounds fantastic!
    Да! I doubt even danke could be grumpy after Sunday Of Forgiveness liturgy.

btw, a blessed Lenten season to my brothers and sisters in Christ, and have a Forgiveness Sunday kiss from me. ~kiss~ Бог прощает тебе! (God forgives you!)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.

btw, a blessed Lenten season to my brothers and sisters in Christ, and have a Forgiveness Sunday kiss from me. ~kiss~ Бог прощает тебе!
    A blessed Holy and Great Lent to my brothers and sisters in Christ! Forgive me my friends! Glory to our the risen Christ!

from Matins on Clean Monday

HAVING ENGAGED IN EVERY SIN,
    HAVING SURPASSED ALL MEN IN IMMORALITY,
    ALTHOUGH I WISH TO REPENT I DO NOT HAVE A FLOW OF TEARS.
    SINCE NOW I LIVE IN LAZINESS
    I AM CONDEMNED TO TORTURES
    BUT GRANT ME REPENTANCE, O GOOD ONE//
    AND HAVE MERCY ON ME.

ON THE BEAUTIFUL DAY OF THE FAST
    GRANT ME CLOUDS OF TEARS, O CHRIST
    THAT I MAY WEEP AND WASH AWAY THE FILTH OF MY DESIRE FOR SWEET THINGS
    AND APPEAR BEFORE YOU AS ONE WHO IS CLEAN
    WHEN YOU, LORD, WILL DESCEND FROM THE HEAVENS TO JUDGE ALL MEN//
    AS THE ONLY RIGHTEOUS JUDGE!

COME, O FAITHFUL!
    WITH GREAT FERVOR; HAVING THE MIGHTY WEAPON OF THE FAST AS A SHIELD,
    LET US TURN AWAY ALL CHARMS OF THE ENEMY.
    LET US NOT BE SCORCHED BY THE SWEETNESS OF OUR PASSIONS,
    NOR FEAR THE FIRES OF TEMPTATIONS,
    FOR CHRIST THE LOVER OF MANKIND WILL CROWN US WITH HONOR FOR PATIENCE.
    LET US FALL DOWN, PRAYING WITH BOLDNESS, AND CRYING OUT://
    ASKING PEACE FOR OUR SOULS AND GREAT MERCY.

LET US PRESENT A GOOD FAST, WELL-PLEASING TO THE LORD!
    A TRUE FAST IS ALIENATION FROM THE EVIL ONE;
    THE HOLDING OF ONE'S TONGUE, THE LAYING ASIDE OF ALL ANGER,
    THE REMOVAL OF ALL SENSUALITY,
    OF ACCUSATION, FALSEHOOD AND SINS OF SWEARING.//
    THE WEAKENING OF THESE WILL MAKE THE FAST TRUE AND WELL-PLEASING.

GREAT IS THE MIGHT OF YOUR MARTYRS, O CHRIST,
    FOR THOUGH THEY LIE IN THEIR TOMBS THEY DRIVE AWAY DEMONS
    AND DEFEAT THE POWER OF THE ENEMY.
    THEY HAVE LIVED THEIR LIVES IN BATTLE FOR PIETY//
    BY FAITH IN THE TRINITY.

GLORY TO THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT NOW AND EVER AND UNTO THE AGES OF AGES!

THEOTOKOS, PROTECTION OF ALL WHO PRAY TO YOU,
    WE HAVE BOLDNESS, AND EXULT IN YOU!
    WE PUT ALL OUR HOPE IN YOU; //
    PRAY FOR YOUR CORRUPT SERVANTS, TO THE ONE WHOM YOU BORE.
    +

After some thought, I've decided that my fast will simply be abstaining from desserts and such sugary things throughout Lent.

After some thought, I've decided that my fast will simply be abstaining from desserts and such sugary things throughout Lent.
    I love your updates, HB.

I'm giving up the internet except for an hour on Sundays so I'll be a bit scarce for a while. I will keep all my brothers and sisters in my prayers on our Lenten Journeys! Good night my friends

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I love your updates, HB.

I'm giving up the internet except for an hour on Sundays so I'll be a bit scarce for a while. I will keep all my brothers and sisters in my prayers on our Lenten Journeys! Good night my friends
    A blessed Lent to you my brother. May The Lord bless you all the days of your life! I have had my fun tonight (thank you green73 for the laughs!) but I must be heading to bed as I have work early tomorrow. My presence here until Pascha will be scarce as well. Good night my fellow believers and non-believers, may we all continue to fight for what is right and pray at all times for peace.
    +

Here are the Old Testament challenge daily readings for Lent: http://abounamansour.org/oth-documen...st_Revised.pdf

First Sunday of Great Lent toady, celebrated as Sunday Of Orthodoxy. 'Twas a very beautiful service. There was a procession of icons done by the children. So I had lots of icons to kiss. The Epistle (for the Forty Martyrs Of Sebastia) was Hebrews 12:1-10. The Gospel was John 1:43-51.

After liturgy there was a nice feast of mideastern fare-I don't know the names of most of it, but it was quite good. Today was the first meeting of the Lenten book club. We are reading and discussing "The Brothers Karamazov". Sadly, the leader of the club, Aaron, forgot to tell us which chapters to read, so I was only prepared to discuss the first few. :/ I'll be ready for more next week. The biographical discussion of Dostoevsky and discussion of the novel so far has been interesting. In future meetings, we will discuss how the story ties in with Lent.

More on the Sunday Of Orhtodoxy and triumph over iconoclasts here: http://lent.goarch.org/sunday_of_orthodoxy/learn/
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-09-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Just heard from Fr. Chris. This Sunday I will be formally accepted as a catechumen. After Liturgy we will pray together and spit on the devil.

Just heard from Fr. Chris. This Sunday I will be formally accepted as a catechumen. After Liturgy we will pray together and spit on the devil.
    Congratulations HB, I'm very happy for you

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Congratulations HB, I'm very happy for you
    Спасибо большой! Целую!

Such wonderful news HB! Glory to God for all things!
    +

New update: today Fr Chris sent me a copy of the order of this Sunday's service for me to print off and bring along. It will go like this:
    PRAYERS AT THE RECEPTION OF CATECHUMENSThe Priest breathes three times on the face of the catechumen while making the sign of the cross
    on the brow and breast saying:
    PRIEST: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
    DEACON: Let us pray to the Lord.
    CHOIR: Lord have mercy.
    Then the Priest lays his hand upon the catechumen’s head and continues:
    PRIEST: In Thy Name, O Lord, God of truth, and in the Name of Thine Only-begotten Son, and of
    Thy Holy Spirit, I lay my hand upon Thy servant, N., who hast been found worthy to flee to Thy
    Holy Name and to take refuge under the shelter of Thy wings. Remove far from him his former
    delusion and fill him with the faith, hope and love which are in Thee; that he may know that Thou
    art the only true God with Thine Only begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, and Thy Holy Spirit.
    Enable him to walk in all Thy commandments, and to fulfill those things which are well pleasing
    unto Thee; for if a man do those things, he shall find life in them. Inscribe him in Thy Book of Life,
    and unite him to the flock of Thine inheritance. And may Thy Holy Name be glorified
    in him together with that of Thy beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, and of Thy life-giving Spirit.
    Let Thine eyes ever regardhim with mercy, and let Thine ears ever attend unto the voice
    of his supplication. Make him rejoice in the works of his hands, and in all hisgeneration;
    that he may render praise unto Thee, may sing worship and glorify Thy great and exalted Name
    always, all the days of his life. For all the Powers of Heaven sing praises unto Thee, and Thine is
    the Glory; of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to ages of
    ages.
    CHOIR: Amen.
    EXORCISM
    CHOIR: Lord, have mercy.
    PRIEST: O Lord of Sabaoth, the God of Israel, who healest every malady and every infirmity:
    Look upon Thy servant; prove him and search him, and root out of him every operation of the
    Devil. Rebuke the unclean spirits and expel them, and purify the works of Thy hands; and
    exerting Thy trenchant might, speedily crush down Satan under his feet; give him victory over the
    same, over his foul spirits; that having obtained mercy from Thee, he may be worthy to partake of
    Thy heavenly Mysteries; and may ascribe unto Thee glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to
    the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to ages of ages.
    PRIEST: O Lord the Master, Thou who in verity existeth; who has created man in Thine own
    likeness, and hast bestowed upon him the power of life eternal; who also despisest not those who
    have fallen away through sin, but hast provided salvation for the world through the Incarnation of
    Thy Christ. Do thou, the same Lord, delivering also this Thy creature from the bondage of the
    enemy, receive him into Thy heavenly kingdom. Open the eyes of his understanding that the light
    of Thy Gospel may shine brightly in him. Yoke unto his life a radiant Angel, who shall
    deliver him from every snare of the adversary, from encounter with evil, from the demon of the
    noonday, and from evil visions.
    The Priest then breathes upon the mouth, brow, and breast of the catechumen, saying three
    times:
    PRIEST: Expel from him every evil and impure spirit which hideth and maketh its lair in his heart.
    And the Priest continues:
    PRIEST: The spirit of error, the spirit of guile, the spirit of idolatry and of every concupiscence; the
    spirit of deceit and of every uncleanness which operateth through the prompting of the Devil. And
    make him a reason-endowed sheep in the holy flock of Thy Christ, an honorable member of Thy
    Church, a child of the light, and an heir of Thy Kingdom; that having lived in accordance with thy
    commandments, and preserved inviolate the Seal, and kept his garment undefiled, he may
    receive the blessedness of the Saints in Thy Kingdom. Through the grace and bounties, and love
    towards mankind of Thine Only-begotten Son, with whom Thou art blessed, together with Thine
    all-holy and good and life-giving Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages.
    The catechumen faces to the west (rear of the Church); as does the Priest, who asks the
    following questions thrice and they are to be answered each time by the sponsor.
    PRIEST: Dost thou renounce Satan, and all his Angels, and all his works, and all his service, and
    all his pride?
    CATECHUMEN: I do.
    PRIEST: Hast thou renounced Satan?
    CATECHUMEN: I have.
    PRIEST: (Once) Breathe and spit upon him.
    The catechumen then turns to face the east (toward the Altar); as does the Priest, who asks the
    following questions thrice and they are to be answered each time.
    PRIEST: Dost thou unite thyself unto Christ?
    CATECHUMEN: I do.
    PRIEST: Hast thou united thyself unto Christ?
    PRIEST: (Once) Dost thou believe in Him?
    CATECHUMEN: I believe in Him as King and God.
    THE CREED
    The catechumen says the Creed, the Symbol of Faith.
    I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and
    invisible;
    And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-Begotten, Begotten of the Father before
    all ages. Light of Light, Very God of Very God, Begotten, not made, of One Essence with the
    Father, by Whom all things were made:
    Who for us and for our salvation came down from Heaven, and was Incarnate of the Holy Spirit
    and the Virgin Mary, and was made man. And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and
    suffered, and was buried;
    And the third day He rose according to the Scriptures;
    And ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of Father;
    And He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom shall have
    no end.
    And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father, Who
    with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the prophets;
    And I believe in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
    I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins.
    I look for the Resurrection of the dead,
    And the Life of the world to come. Amen.
    The following question and answer again are repeated thrice:
    PRIEST: Hast thou united thyself in Christ?
    PRIEST: Bow down also before Him. (Once)
    CATECHUMEN: (bows and says) I bow down before the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit:
    the Trinity, One in Essence and undivided.
    PRIEST: Blessed is God, Who willeth that all men should be saved, and should come to the
    knowledge of the truth: now and ever, and unto ages of ages.
    A PRAYER
    PRIEST: O Master, Lord our God, call Thy servant, N., to Thy holy Illumination, and grant unto
    him that great grace of Thy holy Baptism. Put off fromhim the old man, and renew him unto life
    everlasting, and fill him with the power of Thy Holy Spirit, in the unity of Thy Christ, that he may
    be no more a child of the body, but a child of Thy kingdom. Through the good will and grace of
    Thine Only-Begotten Son, with Whom Thou art blessed, together with Thy most holy and good
    and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages.
    I wish I had the Creed memorized , but I'll use the script for now.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty nice service. I and the other Catechumenate were brought to the front and formally welcomed as Catechumen. The process went almost exactly as the copy-paste I did prior. My fellow parishioners have been very nice and welcoming to me.

Good news-Phil, who I asked y'all to pray for some months back, has returned. He is in a wheelchair, with both legs broken. Continue to pray for his full recovery.

Another lovely Liturgy today. We spent a good amount of time commemorating the late Metropolitan Phillip. Epistle reading was from Paul's epistle to the Hebrews, 4:14-5:6. The gospel was Mark 8:34-9:1. Book club was cancelled Aaron had too many papers to grade. I was given pictures from my part of the service last week.

I went today as well. It was a beautiful Liturgy. However combining the Liturgy of St. Basil with a service for two recently departed people it was a bit long for my younger kids.

Thankfully, this church has a lot of small kids and the parents and grandparents just exchanged knowing smiles with the disruptions

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I went today as well. It was a beautiful Liturgy. However combining the Liturgy of St. Basil with a service for two recently departed people it was a bit long for my younger kids.

Thankfully, this church has a lot of small kids and the parents and grandparents just exchanged knowing smiles with the disruptions
    Fr. Chris likens childrens' babbling and such to singing to God. When you think of it that way, it's more pleasant.

Another beautiful liturgy. Our choir director accepted my suggestion WRT organizing the seating chart, and it worked as well as I imagined it would. J We did the Divine Liturgy of St Basil the Great. Epistle reading has Hebrews 6:13-20, and the Gospel was Mark 9:16-30.
    Fr. Chris’ sermon focused on spiritual suffering as a means to spiritual growth, endurance, and character. I was fortunate enough to see Ludmilla and Phillip today and got some big ~hugs~.
    After liturgy, everyone else went downtown for the Hearts 2 Hands project (for feeding the homeless). I, unfortunately, couldn’t go because for various reasons. I stopped into the gift shop and found a really beautiful orthodox cross icon, which I purchased. I will scan it to share ASAP. ETA: I also got a new recording of Fr. Chris chanting, which I will share with y'all ASAP.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-30-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Another beautiful liturgy. Our choir director accepted my suggestion WRT organizing the seating chart, and it worked as well as I imagined it would. J We did the Divine Liturgy of St Basil the Great. Epistle reading has Hebrews 6:13-20, and the Gospel was Mark 9:16-30.
    Fr. Chris’ sermon focused on spiritual suffering as a means to spiritual growth, endurance, and character. I was fortunate enough to see Ludmilla and Phillip today and got some big ~hugs~.
    After liturgy, everyone else went downtown for the Hearts 2 Hands project (for feeding the homeless). I, unfortunately, couldn’t go because for various reasons. I stopped into the gift shop and found a really beautiful orthodox cross icon, which I purchased. I will scan it to share ASAP. ETA: I also got a new recording of Fr. Chris chanting, which I will share with y'all ASAP.
    Great news that you had such a wonderful liturgy today HB. How wonderful it is that you are all feeding the homeless. Thank the Lord for those wonderful people in your Church answering their calling and doing the "works of faith" that our Lord has called us to do. God Bless you!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Great news that you had such a wonderful liturgy today HB. How wonderful it is that you are all feeding the homeless. Thank the Lord for those wonderful people in your Church answering their calling and doing the "works of faith" that our Lord has called us to do. God Bless you!
    Thanks, and God bless you as well! ~hugs~

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The fifth Sunday of Great Lent. Lots of interesting music to perform, as usual. James didn't show up at all, the little bugger. :P Among other things, Fr Chris discussed St Mary of Alexandreia, repentance, and taking responsibility of one's actions/sins.

Apparently the procession during Pascha is going to be done by candlelight, so I will have to know the music well enough to sing it in near darkness. Some fun chat and fellowship after liturgy, as usual.

I reckon today's liturgy was the biggest and busiest of any service I've been to in any church. All the people that usually don't come to church showed up. Then we had the Palm Sunday liturgy, which included extra music and a procession. Having never played in a marching band, I did not know how hard it would be to walk and sing the chant at the same time. I was given a small palm fraun folded into the shape of a cross. So, the service went ~a half hour longer than a usual liturgy. Afterward, Corrie bought me a fallafel (the Church teens and ladies made fallafel and hummus to benefit the church). Mideastern food is soooo nummy.

Here's the bulletin from today for those interested: http://www.stgeorgeaz.org/wp-content...in20140413.pdf

Tonight was Good Friday liturgy and Lamentations. REALLY powerful service. Tons of singing and the procession, the latter all by candlelight. Nobody saved a hymn text book for me, so I had to look onto the next fellow's, which was rather annoying. The procession went out the parish and around the campus, then back into the parish. I had to sing the text while walking, by candlelight. It wasn't so bad, because it was just a few processional tunes repeated a few dozen times or so. At one point, the wax guard on my candle got smacked and I got some hot wax on my hand. :/ lol I blew it out, put the guard back on and re-lit it from the next fellow's candle. When we got back into the parish, we did most of the usual affairs-kissing the icons, getting blessings, and listening to Fr. Chris' sermon. This time we were seated in the front row instead of the loft, so the accoustics were different and interesting as we performed the final tunes/litanies. Those who have not been to a Good Friday liturgy should absolutely go, no matter what your denomination. I can almost guarantee you'll love it.

Pretty nice Pascha Vespers toady. Aside from chant, we did a reading of the gospel in as many languages as there were speakers present. There were a dozen or so languages represented. I was the only Russian speaker there and ready at the moment, so I read it in Russian. Fr. Seraphim and the other native speakers there in attendance, according to Fr. Chris, were very impressed with me. It was very easy to read stuff, too. Not bookish or clumbsy.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast