Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: My first Divine Liturgy experience.

Anyway, I wish you blessed Feast! (thank you also for the link of the sheet music!

It is truly meet to bless you, O Theotokos, ever-blessed and most pure Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, without defilement you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos we magnify you!
    Last edited by TER; 09-07-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Hi HB! Your church had Divine Liturgy for the feast tonight, or the vespers service? Typically the Divine Liturgy for the feast would be tomorrow on the Feast Day (or after midnight)...

The program guide says there was an artoklasia...
    Divine Liturgy. All we have going on Saturday is a Sunday School dance. Don't ask me why they do things this way-I'm just a lowly chanter. LOL Maybe it's a new calendar thing? Would you believe we only had one chanter aside from myself tonight? Is outrage! #Greeklish Well, j/p. We just give Subdn. Michael a hard time like that for lolz.

btw, if you ever want to see the neumes for the music, check out the divine music project at stanthonymonastery.org Except for specialized stuff the parish or archdiocese use, it's all there.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 09-07-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Divine Liturgy. All we have going on Saturday is a Sunday School dance. Don't ask me why they do things this way-I'm just a lowly chanter. LOL Maybe it's a new calendar thing? Would you believe we only had one chanter aside from myself tonight? Is outrage! #Greeklish Well, j/p. We just give Subdn. Michael a hard time like that for lolz.
    It’s okay to do so of course if the Bishop has given his blessing (which I assume he did). Many parishes for example celebrate the Divine Liturgy for Christmas the night before because of the unfortunate low turnout the next morning due to people’s busy schedules. I am sure they had a good reason.

By the prayers of the Theotokos, may God send down His grace and blessings to you my brother.
    +

Interesting day. Took a shot at reading odes in Orthros. Interesting experience. It's beautiful literature.
    Sunday before the elevation of the Holy Cross; after-feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos; Synaxis of the ancestors of God, Joachim and Anna; Great-martyr Severian of Sebastia; Holy Fathers of the Third Ecumenical Council

Epistle Galatians 6:11-18 @TER this was so cute-they let a little girl read the epistle today. She tried to chant the last line in the traditional manner, but went flailing all about verbally. *adorable*

Gospel John 3:13-17
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Y'all know how Jordan Peterson says, don't let your kids do anything that makes you dislike them?
    His point is, if you don't like them, other people won't like them, and then they'll grow into unlikable adults.

Well, we've got an archetype visiting our parish regularly. Please pray for us. Between my literal children and this metaphorical child, I'm not getting much out of church these days.

Well, that's not entirely true: we had a brief visit from Archbishop Melchesdick of the Palestinian Orthodox Churh of America on Wednesday (another "we have a metropolitan for a rector so cool stuff just happens here now" event), and I was able to keep the boy quiet enough to hear him for most of his talk.

Everyone else had questions about Palestine... my first question was "What do Palestinian Christians eat on Pascha?"

They apparently still personally slaughter a lamb and paint the doors of their houses.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Y'all know how Jordan Peterson says, don't let your kids do anything that makes you dislike them?
    His point is, if you don't like them, other people won't like them, and then they'll grow into unlikable adults.

Well, we've got an archetype visiting our parish regularly. Please pray for us. Between my literal children and this metaphorical child, I'm not getting much out of church these days.

Well, that's not entirely true: we had a brief visit from Archbishop Melchesdick of the Palestinian Orthodox Churh of America on Wednesday (another "we have a metropolitan for a rector so cool stuff just happens here now" event), and I was able to keep the boy quiet enough to hear him for most of his talk.

Everyone else had questions about Palestine... my first question was "What do Palestinian Christians eat on Pascha?"

They apparently still personally slaughter a lamb and paint the doors of their houses.
    o kurwa! More Greek than the Greeks! lol Do you go to Orthros? You might get some value out of that. It gives you a chance to listen to psalms, odes, and plain chant. If you pay attention, you wind up with a very good education in liturigics, history, and what the Church holds to be Truth by the end of the cycle. (also some standard psaltry readings, as you would expect)

This week's homily is up

Finally getting back to this. This week's homily is up-

Gospel-Luke 8:41-56 Epistle Galatians 6:11-18

22nd Sunday after Pentecost and seventy Sunday of Luke Martyrs Terence and Neonilla and their children; Venerable Bishop Stephen of Mar Sabbas monastery in Palestine; Athanasios I, patriarch of Constantinople; Venerable Job of Pochaev

As always, read odes during Orthros in addition to chant. Very rewarding and highly recommended. @fisharmor when you get to go back to church regularly, you might look into volunteering to read during Orthros. I hear some parishes allow parishioners to do it, though at mine the chanters do it.

Was asked to join the director to chant with the other chanters from the loft during communion in liturgy, which was a rewarding blessing.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-31-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Lol not sure how you got the impression I'm not a regular... I'm the warden of the parish and we are trying to build a whole church of our own, so at least 25pct of my life is church these days!
    We have probably a quarter of the men in parish ordained as readers or higher, and ROCOR takes the position that if you have readers then no lay person should be chanting.
    They keep asking me to be a reader and I keep saying no, because it's hard enough for the two of us to deal with the kids, I can't make her do it alone.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Btw how is everyone affected by the row between Patriarch Bartholemew and Moscow? I am obviously on thr Moscow side...

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Btw how is everyone affected by the row between Patriarch Bartholemew and Moscow? I am obviously on thr Moscow side...
    It's never come up in my parish (not even in casual chat at coffee hour, weirdly). Probably because we have our own share of drama with our patriarch being in Syria, plus the kidnapping of the nuns at St Thekkla a while back. I'm on the Moscow side myself.

Sorry for the long absence. #kurwa Been super busy lately. After a busy nativity season, it seems like we've jumped immediately into Lent.

Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee
    The Hold Great-Martyr Theodore the Soldier ('Tyro')
    Emperor Marician and Empress Pulcheria of Constantinople

(Tried my hand at Great Vespers Saturday as well for the first time, which was very interesting. I learned how to chant Odes. )

Epistle Timothy 3:10-15, Gospel Luke 18:10-14

Our senior chanters were away this weekend, so I covered the bass baritone parts in Vespers (as well as Liturgy) to make it sound "full". Will be going as oft as possible in the future during Vesperal season.

One certainly does a lot of reading homework as a chanter! I don't mind though, as I learn more about theology and scripture and history just by preparing for any given service.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I accidentally muted myself for a month again? :O o kurwa! Lent does that to ya. A lot more liturgies and services and all a lot longer. Tonite-my first Akathist to the Mother Of God. Really beautiful. Unlike the Complines earlier this week which were primarily OT readings, there was a lot of chant tonite.

Presanctified Divine Liturgy tonite. Muh goodness, Lent is epic busy-ness! Mostly reading psalms, not much chanting for me. That was done by the director solo.

Can't believe it's been so LONG since I've been here. Well, I can. Everything is epic during Lent. Not particularly happy with my chanting during Orthros, but did as best as I could, considering my director didn't get the music to me till Thursday. (Not enough time to practice for Saturday Vespers :P and just enough to get down the weekly variables for toady #kurwa #feelingirked )

Commemoration of our Righteous Mother Mary of Egypt. Apostles Aristarchos, Pudens, andTrophymos of the 70, Martyr Thomais of Alexandria, New-martyr Demetrios of the Peleponnesos

Epistle- Hebrews 9:11-14 Gospel Mark 10:32-45

Lamentations this evening (Friday). Readings, so many readings. Psalms and whatnot like every night in Holy Week. Also some Epistle and Gospel. Chant, so much chant. Also some choral stuff for the first time this week. Full procession by candlelight around the church with the bier. I had to learn some arabic pronunciation for the procession music which was cool. #linguistics Definitely interesting.

From palm Sunday (4/21)

Epic busy day #somuchmusic Epistle-Philippians 4:4-9 Gospel John 12:1-18

I've been away from here a really long time #kurwa Not intentional, but I keep getting busy and tired and forget to do this. #kurwa. :/ More laid back than Lent, but still pretty busy. Choir is on vacation nao, so the chanters and I do Orthros and Liturgy.

Sunday of the Holy Fathers of Fourth Ecumenical Council
    Apostle Aquila of the Seventy; Joseph the Confessor, archbishop of Thessalonica; Peter, bishop of Crete; Venerable Enesimos of Magnesia and Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

epistle Titus 3:8-15 Gospel: Matthew 5:14-19

Sad to say that my good friend Scotty (normally an usher during liturgy) suffered a cardiac event not long ago and is still in recovery. He's on the mend, but I miss him lots.

*sorry for the holdup on regular updates @TER :/ #lifehappens
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-14-2019 at 11:20 PM.

O KURWA, SLIPPED AGAIN. :O Gospel Luke 6:31-36 Epistle Corinthians 4:6-15 15th Sunday after Pentecost and Second Sunday of Luke. Venerable Kyriakos the hermit of Palestine. Martyr Petronia and those with her in Palestine; Mother Mary the hermit of Palestine; Martyrs Gudelia, Casdous, Casdoa, Gargalus, Dada, and gobdelaas of Persia.

Don't have time to finish tonite, but hopefully I will Monday.

CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE? #thingsarebusy Metropolitian visit toady. #madness ensues If I'm not tired I'll write moar in the morning.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

GREAT video series on the Gospel of St. John. Fr. Deacon Ezra Ham is a great, engaging speaker. I'm 20 videos in and can say so far it is one of the single best video series I have ever watched.

By the way, blessed Nativity Fast to all of my fellow Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ!
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post

GREAT video series on the Gospel of St. John. Fr. Deacon Ezra Ham is a great, engaging speaker. I'm 20 videos in and can say so far it is one of the single best video series I have ever watched.

By the way, blessed Nativity Fast to all of my fellow Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ!
    Likewise my brother.

I will watch this! Thank you!
    +

@JohnGalt1225

Very much enjoying the video series! Thank you again!
    +

Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 02-22-2020 at 03:15 PM.

My first day back "live" since teh silly quarantine started. Don't like the mask and social distancing rules. Miss being a chanter. Epistle Hebrews(9:1-7). Gospel Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28) FINALLY able to get communion again! Kyrie eleison! Hope @TER and my other brothers and sisters are making it through this nonsense as well as or better than I am.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819