Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Divine Liturgy experience.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Huh, just stumbled on this thread; I didn't realize that you were Orthodox heavenlyboy.

For what it's worth, all of my arguments about the practical, social benefits of the Catholic Church apply also (more or less) to the Orthodox Church.

A book recommendation: John Julius Norwich's "A Short History of Byzantium," or the full trilogy (of which the former is an abridgement) if you're feeling frisky.

If you're not very familiar with that history, it might give you even more appreciation for your faith.

The Greeks manned the wall against the barbarians while Europe was in the womb, for which they ought always be remembered.
    Cool! My particular parish is Antiochian, originating in what was then Byzantium(hence all the byzantine chant used in liturgy). I'll look into that book on amazon, thanks. *hugs*
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-06-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool! My particular parish is Antiochian, originating in what was then Byzantium(hence all the byzantine chant used in liturgy). I'll look into that book on amazon, thanks. *hugs*
    Hmm. it is nice that you went to church.

are you familiar with, the 3rd Roman empire?
    as in like,
    The Holy Roman empire?

like for instance, when it started and when it ended?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    Hmm. it is nice that you went to church.

are you familiar with, the 3rd Roman empire?
    as in like,
    The Holy Roman empire?

like for instance, when it started and when it ended?
    Not nearly as much as I'd like to be. Love me some history.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    This is very sad to hear.

If you would have talked about how the Spirit had opened your eyes to the depths of your sin, how God had showed you your absolute spiritual deadness, and how He opened your eyes to the truth of the gospel...that Jesus' perfect life has been imputed to you and how He has fulfilled the law on your behalf so that you now can stand before the Father without blemish, if you would have talked about the wonder and awe that God chose you purely by grace and that not only do you not deserve heaven, but rather you deserve Hell for your sin...

If you would have talked about any of this, then what a wonderful day of rejoicing it would be. But instead you talked about how the people at church were nice and the choir sang well. That's all garbage compared to knowing the riches of grace. I pray the Lord will put a heart of flesh in you and wake you from your spiritual deadness! Only He can do it!
    After all these pages of church nonsense, I still think this is the important post in this thread. ^^^

Finally getting around to writing about Sunday. Most notably, it was the last day of the annual Festival (Feast Of The Middle East). Ticket prices were higher this year, so I didn't buy any food-but did enter a raffle. Helped babysit the kids in their little kid zone thing...made sure they behaved well and didn't hurt themselves/others and so forth. Kids are funny.

Epistle- 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 Gospel- Luke 6:31-36 Fr. Chris continued his homily series on what it means to be a member of the Church. Will share video of that one too ASAP.

18th Senday after Pentecost and Second Sunday of Luke.Heiromartyr Hierotheos, bishop of Athens; Heiromartyr Peter of Capitolia in Syria; martyrs Domnina and her daughters of Syria; Gurios, first archbishop of Kazan and Baranouphios, bishop of Tver; and Martyrs Stephen and Elizabeth of Serbia.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-06-2015 at 09:20 PM.

After all these pages of church nonsense, I still think this is the important post in this thread. ^^^
    Narcissitic much? LOL!
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not nearly as much as I'd like to be. Love me some history.
    just so I get it straight. you are some form of Catholic. (?)
    and are unaware of the 3rd Roman empire.

the early Greeks as well as the early Romans had a PROFOUND influence on History.
    such as. they determined the diameter of the Earth.
    in 240 BC,

Eratosthenes' Calculation of Earth's Circumference
    www.windows2universe.org/.../w2u_eratosthen...
    Windows to the Universe
    Jul 20, 2007 - In 240 B.C., the Greek astronomer Eratosthenes made the first good measurement of ... Eratosthenes understood that if he could determine the distance ... have to multiply that distance by 50 to find the circumference of Earth!

and then we have Copernicus.

Synopsis

Nicolaus Copernicus was born on February 19, 1473 in Torun, Poland. Circa 1508, Copernicus developed his own celestial model of a heliocentric planetary system. Around 1514, he shared his findings in the Commentariolus. His second book on the topic, De revolutionibus orbium coelestium, was banned by the Roman Catholic Church not long after his May 24, 1543 death in Frauenburg, Poland.

http://www.biography.com/people/nico...rnicus-9256984
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

His second book on the topic, De revolutionibus orbium coelestium, was banned by the Roman Catholic Church not long after his May 24, 1543 death in Frauenburg, Poland.

http://www.biography.com/people/nico...rnicus-9256984
    For some history that you might find valid for your discussion. HB is Orthodox, not Roman Catholic. 1543 was about 500 years after the Great Schism.

Epistle- 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 Gospel- Luke 6:31-36 Fr. Chris continued his homily series on what it means to be a member of the Church.
    We are attending an Anglican church (Episcopal, without the baggage). I think that means we are a week ahead of you in the calendar.

A while back, I asked you how you think your focus on getting to know God through the liturgy has changed you. Have you had time to think about that?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    For some history that you might find valid for your discussion. HB is Orthodox, not Roman Catholic. 1543 was about 500 years after the Great Schism.
    thank you. so,
    the great Schism was NOT M Luther and the beginning of the protestants?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    This^^ There's not sufficient time in any Orthodox homily or class (unless it's very specialized or a seminary class for aspiring priests or something) to get into RCC history except to discuss commonalities, differences, and RC heresies.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    We are attending an Anglican church (Episcopal, without the baggage). I think that means we are a week ahead of you in the calendar.

A while back, I asked you how you think your focus on getting to know God through the liturgy has changed you. Have you had time to think about that?
    I have thought about it, but haven't finished coming up with a sufficiently eloquent response yet.

(not to butt in)

today, the entire world uses the "Gregorian" calendar.

Gregory was the Pope at the time.
    so, what the Pope "knows" about astronomy is not a small item. (from a historical perspective)

just FYI.

I wasn't asking for eloquence. I want to know how you feel and think differently.
    #NashvilleStrong

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    thank you. so,
    the great Schism was NOT M Luther and the beginning of the protestants?
    The Reformation was much later than the Great Schism. Luther nailed his 95 theses to the All Saints' church door in 1517. The mutual East-West excommunication was in 1054.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    Narcissitic much? LOL!
    Well, it's the only post that mentions the gospel. All this church ritual nonsense means less than nothing.

The Reformation was much later than the Great Schism. Luther nailed his 95 theses to the All Saints' church door in 1517. The mutual East-West excommunication was in 1054.
    pardon me, but that sounds like it has to do with the "crusades"
    thank to all. I learnt something.

Well, it's the only post that mentions the gospel. All this church ritual nonsense means less than nothing.
    I was sort of teasing, lol
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

is it correct sir, to understand that the word. "Gospel"
    is a synonym for..
    "Godspell" ?
    is this a reasonable inquisition?

I wasn't asking for eloquence. I want to know how you feel and think differently.
    I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I've only been Orthodox for a year so I can offer some perspective.

At the church where we were members 15 years ago, there was a supplemental "hymnal" which was all praise band style songs. The type of thing young folks like then-me were supposed to be into.
    The songs were all alphabetically organized in the book, and the largest section was the "I" section.
    I don't even remember the names of the songs, but they all started "I want", "I love", "I yearn", et cetera.

And ever since I was young, it irritated me that the confession at LCMS churches switched in the early 1980s from using first person pronouns to third person. So "I confess" turned into "We confess". Leaving aside the discussion of the absurdity of confessing sinfulness as a group... the point is in my lifetime I saw the confession start using plural pronouns, and I saw hymns reduced to smarmy emotions like "I wanna be Jesus' buddy". The teeth were pulled out of sin, and the glory was pulled out of the liturgy.

My answer is, I don't think and feel differently. I found a group that is capable of approaching Christianity as if we're adults. Which doesn't dumb down anything for visitors because we assume they're adults, too. Which doesn't dumb anything down for children, because they will eventually be adults.

I guess the biggest difference for me is... I actually have friends at church. Every negative thing that I used to have stabbing me in the face every Sunday is gone. One thing was not knowing whether the person I was talking to at church was... well, serious. Whether it was someone who believed something, or was just champing at the bit for the next voters' assembly where the next big innovation in praise band worship was really going to take him to new levels of enthusiastic euphoria.

I still catch myself looking at these people I've known for a year now and thinking "You, who are supposed to be a fellow branch of Christ's vine: am I going to have to break off all contact with you at some point?" And the answer keeps coming up no.

Coming from an Anglican perspective, I think you can envision how... liberating that would be.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I've only been Orthodox for a year so I can offer some perspective.

At the church where we were members 15 years ago, there was a supplemental "hymnal" which was all praise band style songs. The type of thing young folks like then-me were supposed to be into.
    The songs were all alphabetically organized in the book, and the largest section was the "I" section.
    I don't even remember the names of the songs, but they all started "I want", "I love", "I yearn", et cetera.

And ever since I was young, it irritated me that the confession at LCMS churches switched in the early 1980s from using first person pronouns to third person. So "I confess" turned into "We confess". Leaving aside the discussion of the absurdity of confessing sinfulness as a group... the point is in my lifetime I saw the confession start using plural pronouns, and I saw hymns reduced to smarmy emotions like "I wanna be Jesus' buddy". The teeth were pulled out of sin, and the glory was pulled out of the liturgy.

My answer is, I don't think and feel differently. I found a group that is capable of approaching Christianity as if we're adults. Which doesn't dumb down anything for visitors because we assume they're adults, too. Which doesn't dumb anything down for children, because they will eventually be adults.

I guess the biggest difference for me is... I actually have friends at church. Every negative thing that I used to have stabbing me in the face every Sunday is gone. One thing was not knowing whether the person I was talking to at church was... well, serious. Whether it was someone who believed something, or was just champing at the bit for the next voters' assembly where the next big innovation in praise band worship was really going to take him to new levels of enthusiastic euphoria.

I still catch myself looking at these people I've known for a year now and thinking "You, who are supposed to be a fellow branch of Christ's vine: am I going to have to break off all contact with you at some point?" And the answer keeps coming up no.

Coming from an Anglican perspective, I think you can envision how... liberating that would be.
    Bender. I want you to know something.

I found that Liberating.

Rather ordinary and mellow today. Fr. Monsour delivered the homily. Don't have time to post it...will post that along with others when I can get them formatted and uploaded and such. I also didn't totally understand it because of Fr. Mansour's very thick accent. :/

Epistle- Titus 3:8-15
    Gospel Luke 8:5-15

Everyone is mourning amypi along with us. I lit a candle in her memory.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good day. Fr. Chris is back again. Emphasis on finding sanity through focus on Christ by expounding on the story of the demoniac. Also on the importance on being in God's presence daily with a prayer habit. Video of the homily coming when I get a proper format converter. Gospel-Luke 8:26, Epistle 2 Corinthians 2:16-20. Lulz at lunch hour, sorting out plans for partying after liturgy during mid December to celebrate HB34 day.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-26-2015 at 12:14 AM.

I think you are mistaken in this. After being in a traditional evangelical church for decades, we found our way to a church that worships in the Anglican style. Having never used liturgy in church, we found it to be a wonderfully refreshing thing. There is life in the liturgy. It requires participation on the part of the believer. Our church is very hearty in its corporate confessional worship. I can't begin to tell you. We read a lot of Scripture every week. Today was a most joy-filled excercise in the means of grace.
    #NashvilleStrong

I think you are mistaken in this. After being in a traditional evangelical church for decades, we found our way to a church that worships in the Anglican style. Having never used liturgy in church, we found it to be a wonderfully refreshing thing. There is life in the liturgy. It requires participation on the part of the believer. Our church is very hearty in its corporate confessional worship. I can't begin to tell you. We read a lot of Scripture every week. Today was a most joy-filled excercise in the means of grace.
    Indeed! Liturgy is not just a bunch of songs with a speech in the middle. It is a way of life. The gospel and the Eucharist sacrament are the very heart of every Sunday ekklesia. As I note in my blog, there is a gospel and epistle reading every week. These are always solemnly read aloud (more accurately, chanted in one of the 8 tones). Even in the marriage sacrament (which I celebrated today at a friend's wedding), it is emphasized that the marriage is not just about the spouses, but their union in Christ and His central role in the marriage.

Gospel Luke 8:41-56 Epistle Hebrews 2:2-10
    The synaxis of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and all the bodiless powers of Heaven. Seventh Sunday of Luke

Very nice day. Emphasis of the homily as serving others. After liturgy, brief lunch and then back to church for my friends' wedding. My first Orthodox wedding! I thought it was very interesting and beautiful. There was a Great and Little Litany, as typical of a liturgy. There was also a crowning of the couple and all sorts of other beautiful things. Unlike Western marriages, the bride isn't kept secret until “Here Comes The Bride” is played. She participates equally. It is made clear that Christ is the center of the marriage as well. It was a long and elaborate ceremony, with bride and groom discussing how they met and came to love each other. After the formal ceremony was done by Fr Chris, Nathan did a funny and beautiful speech/roast in honor of the couple which I found brilliant.

Then at last, dinner-which took a really long time because there were soooo many people there. Believe it or not, the couple chose Mexican cuisine. LOL Then the obligatory dance party. Kind of silly because the floor was carpet instead of proper wood or marlay. But amusing. A very blessed event!
    ETA: bonus-exactly 1 year ago from this past Sunday was my Chrismation into the Holy Orthodox Church.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-10-2015 at 01:31 PM.

I think you are mistaken in this. After being in a traditional evangelical church for decades, we found our way to a church that worships in the Anglican style.
    High church or low church Anglican?

Missed last week, sorry. :/

This week.
    25th Sunday after pentecost and 9th Sunday of Luke. Feast of The Entrance of the Theotokos Apostles Philemon, Apphia, Archippos and Onesimos of the Seventy; Clement, bishop of Ochrid and enlightener of Bulgaria; Marty Cecilia of Rome and those with her; Venerable Kallistos Xanthopoulos of Athos; Marty Michael, prince of Tver.
    Epistle-Hebrews 9:1-7 Gospel Luke 12:16-21

Mellow day. No work because the director took the day off. I got to sit and enjoy liturgy, which was interesting. Fr Chris' message focused on finding unessential things in life keeping us from a fuller life in Christ and getting rid of them. Still haven't got a good converter or I'd post t00bs. One day I'll find one and post a t00b bomb of homilies in here. My godmother was sick and couldn't come to church. :'( I had way too many sweets at coffee hour, lol. A friend bought a bunch at the bake sale and gave me the stuff he didn't want...baklava and all sorts of tasty things. As usual, shocking people with my radical opinions on history, politics, etc.

Last week
    24th Sunday after Pentacost and Eighth Sunday of Luke Martyrs Guria, Shamuna and Habib the Deacon of Edessa Thomas the New, patriarch of Constantinople; Venerable Paisios Velichkovsky.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-22-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Slow but relaxing day for me. Chanters did the music like last week, so I got to relax. I don't think it sounds as good, though.

Homily focused on baptism generally and Orthodox baptism particularly. Also Christ as the new Adam.Will share t00bz when possible.
    Gospel Mark 1:1-8 Epistle Timothy 4:5-8

Forefast of and Sunday before Theophany of Christ Holy Prophet Malachi; Martyr Gordios of Cappadocia; Venerable Thomas the Wonderworker of Lesbos; Venerable Genevieve of Paris

Learned that my Brother Phil is having new problems with the metal in his leg. :'( Pray for him.

Interesting day, though slower paced than usual. Tony directed the choir. Homily delivered by Fr Mansour.
    Will upload later if I can. Fr. Chris is missed, but was ill.
    Sunday after Theophany. Gregory, Bishop
    of Nyssa; Marcian the Priest of Constantinople; Dometian, Bishop of
    Melitene; Venerable Paul of Obnora and Makarios of Pisma; Bishop
    Theophan the Recluse

Epistle Ephisians 4:7-13 Gospel Matthew 4:12-17

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast