Thread: Need a new liver? Just print one: 3D printer makes working human liver

Need a new liver? Just print one: 3D printer makes working human liver

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/09/need-a...liver-4179833/

A group of US scientists have created the world’s smallest human liver which can survive for forty days and works like the real thing – using a 3D printer.

The mini-livers, made by California-based medical research company Organvo, are just half a millimetre deep and four millimetres wide but can perform most of the functions that a real liver can.

The printer builds up 20 layers of hepatocytes cells, which carry out liver functions, along with two major types of liver cell. It also adds cells from the lining of a blood vessel. This allows the liver cells to receive nutrients and oxygen.

The most recent liver created survived for 40 days in the lab, which might not seem very long as human liver cells are replaced every 300 to 500 days, but the company’s previous mini-liver only survived for five days.

Keith Murphy, Organovo’s chief executive officer said: ‘In April we were able to show that liver function was retained in our 3D liver for over five days, and we have now demonstrated that our tissues perform consistently for at least 40 days, a significant improvement over the average 48 hour performance of 2D cultures.’

While research is in the early stages, scientists believe that future versions could be used for transplants. This would a significant step for more than 120,000 people worldwide on organ transplant waiting lists.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

yep let the drinking begin!!

I'll take two please.
    I like to keep spare parts.
    DO the new livers come with manufacturer's warranty?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    yep let the drinking begin!!
    It ain't just for the drinkers, though that'd be one hell of a market--just about every pharmaceutical they give you for anything causes liver damage.

lolz
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    It ain't just for the drinkers, though that'd be one hell of a market--just about every pharmaceutical they give you for anything causes liver damage.
    Just as I suspected , so I did not take any of that and just drank beer instead .

Cool! So why do we need embryonic stem cell research again?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Cool! So why do we need embryonic stem cell research again?
    not yet able to print nerve cells yet.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler