Thread: 401k election title misleading

401k election title misleading

So I got a new job and I love it! anyways had to pick a election for my 401k at the time of hire i didn't know most of these election so i opted to not enroll but since i have some downtime i was looking into some of the election.
    BlackRock Equity Dividend Fund Class A
    BlackRock Global Allocation Fund Class A
    BlackRock S&P 500 Index Fund Class I
    Columbia Seligman Communications & Information Fund Class A
    Delaware Inflation Protected Bond Fund Class A
    Delaware Small Cap Value Fund Class A
    DWS RREEF Real Estate Securities Fund Class A
    Franklin Rising Dividends Fund Class A
    INVESCO Stable Value Retirement Fund CL41
    INVESCO Van Kampen Equity & Income Fund Class A
    Janus High Yield Fund Class A
    JPMorgan Government Bond Fund Class A
    JPMorgan Small Cap Equity Fund Class A
    Oppenheimer Global Opportunities Fund Class A
    Perkins Mid Cap Value Fund Class A
    PIMCO Total Return Fund Class A
    Principal MidCap Blend Fund Class A
    Prudential Jennison Mid Cap Growth Fund Class A
    Prudential Jennison Natural Resources Fund Class A
    Prudential Short Term Corporate Bond Fund Class A
    The Oakmark International Fund Class II
    Thornburg International Value R4
    Wells Fargo Advantage Growth Fund Class A
    So you guys are going to get a kick out of this I was like WTF and LOL? if you google "Delaware Inflation Protected Bond Fund" you will see that 80% of the bonds are in US bonds, I was like wtf? how is that "inflation protected." I wondering how many people are getting screwed right now thinking their inflation safe.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Make sure you are not missing out on free money with your job. Most firms match up to x% of salary for 401k.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Make sure you are not missing out on free money with your job. Most firms match up to x% of salary for 401k.
    yea i'll just take the 30% hit on income tax than to take a 100% hit down the road.

Everyone should look into the SIPC which supposedly protects certain investment accounts. It is a non-profit organization supported by the very institutions that may eventually go under. It is one big confidence game that may end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    yea i'll just take the 30% hit on income tax than to take a 100% hit down the road.
    Your comments make me think you really don't understand what you're doing. You should try to spend 100 hours or more researching personal finance topics. Future you will be very greatful.

FWIW the fund you talked about apparently buys inflation-indexed bonds - so it is inflation protected.
    Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Your comments make me think you really don't understand what you're doing. You should try to spend 100 hours or more researching personal finance topics. Future you will be very greatful.
    If they are referring to the govt confiscating non-insured amounts in FDIC/SIPC accounts... then they understand better than most.

.....what?
    Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.

Wow - so much ignorance in a single thread.

OP you made the wrong choice by not signing up now. You can almost always move your money between funds, so even if you end up in a bad investment, you're aren't stuck there.

As for SIPC, your investments are not protected by that. Only the cash and securities that you were holding if your Broker/Dealer fails. They claim
    SIPC replaces missing stocks and other securities where it is possible to do so...even when investments have increased in value.

SIPC does not cover individuals who are sold worthless stocks and other securities. SIPC helps individuals whose money, stocks and other securities are stolen by a broker or put at risk when a brokerage fails for other reasons.
    And yet they paid out billions and billions to Bernie Madoff's victims.
    Last edited by angelatc; 10-29-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know if you were referring to my comment but if so, that is the point I was trying to make. If the institutions fail or if the govt comes in and takes $$, the SIPC is supposedly there to protect investors (up to 250k securities & 250k cash), but anything beyond that is at risk. Even then - the entities that comprise/fund the SIPC are the same ones that are insuring themselves. Big circle of lies.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    I don't know if you were referring to my comment but if so, that is the point I was trying to make. If the institutions fail or if the govt comes in and takes $$, the SIPC is supposedly there to protect investors (up to 250k securities & 250k cash), but anything beyond that is at risk. Even then - the entities that comprise/fund the SIPC are the same ones that are insuring themselves. Big circle of lies.
    Wow - and here I thought that was the Libertarian solution. An industry funded insurance program. I guess we should start lobbying for the government to take it over.

Besides, most broker dealers carry private insurance on behalf of their clients to protect investors beyond the SIPC limits.

I guess if you're bound and determined to prove that nothing is 100% safe, ever, then there's actually no point in even talking. But the reality is that money is safer in an investment firm than it would be just about anywhere else.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

wtf are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    wtf are you talking about?
    And here I was wondering the same thing about you. Where did I lose you, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    So I got a new job and I love it! anyways had to pick a election for my 401k at the time of hire i didn't know most of these election so i opted to not enroll but since i have some downtime i was looking into some of the election.

So you guys are going to get a kick out of this I was like WTF and LOL? if you google "Delaware Inflation Protected Bond Fund" you will see that 80% of the bonds are in US bonds, I was like wtf? how is that "inflation protected." I wondering how many people are getting screwed right now thinking their inflation safe.
    I have a percentage of a 401k in one of the funds you listed.I have been happy with the long term performance of it.