Thread: Rising Onion Prices In India

Rising Onion Prices In India

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...99N0Q220131024

India has become so desperate for fresh stocks of the onions it uses in spicy curries that it is turning to regional rival Chinaand sanctions-hit Iran for supplies, and there is even talk of airlifts to ease soaring prices.

But despite a swirl of high-level meetings on Thursday, the government is unlikely to land imports in substantial quantities before state elections begin on November 11, with state-run firms struggling to clinch deals and private players risk-averse.

Indians eat their way through 15 million tons of onions a year, using them as the base for traditional dishes such as biryani and bhaji. This has made high prices a hot potato that has in the past contributed to the fall of state governments.
    Imagine what it would be like if they ate hamburgers.

So, they're perfectly ok with living on cardboard boxes, drinking the same water they defecate in, and using poop to cook their food, but if the prices of onions get too high...THEN they start voting out politicians.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hear it's all GOLD's fault.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Maybe Grizzly Tools can trade onions for their next few containers of really cheap tools....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Maybe Grizzly Tools can trade onions for their next few containers of really cheap tools....

Next time I need my computer fixed.....
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

I have onions available for purchase , of course the Indians will have to pay shipping

I wonder if Fire 11 is aware of this ...

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    So, they're perfectly ok with living on cardboard boxes, drinking the same water they defecate in, and using poop to cook their food, but if the prices of onions get too high...THEN they start voting out politicians.
    You are clearly ignorant of Indian culture, customs, conditions or way of life. You shouldn't pass derogatory comments if you don't know what you are talking about. None of what you say is actually true, but even if it were, it just signifies extreme poverty. There is no welfare system or social safety net in India, and if you happen to be born into a poor family, you will literally starve to death. Does that seem like something to joke about?

I was pretty amazed at how cheap a KG of onions were in India before the prices went up.....

My onion prices have gone up