Thread: Finding Liberty Compatible Jobs in Life Sci

Finding Liberty Compatible Jobs in Life Sci

In a year, I'll be graduating with a B.S. in life science. I love what I study, but I'm super nervous about finding a job in this terrible job market. What makes it even more difficult is the fact that most jobs for people in the life sciences are gov-funded or at gov-funded labs. I feel like I'd be a terrible libertarian if I pursued a gov-funded job, yet I do need to find work.

I want to ask everyone their opinion on government jobs and labs that benefit people through research or public health services. I'm not crazy about the clinical side of things (I don't want to go to PA or med school), but I'm deeply passionate about research and public health and see these services as crucial. On the other side, I do understand some libertarians opposing this kind of work since most of it uses government funding. While (in an ideal libertarian world) research would be 100% privately funded, this just isn't a reality at the moment. What's a liberty-loving life sci nerd to do? BTW I'll be graduating with no debt or loans, so money isn't too big of an issue.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Get the best job possible, regardless. Pursue your economic self interest. It is not up to you to change the political system from the bottom up.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Get the best job possible, regardless. Pursue your economic self interest. It is not up to you to change the political system from the bottom up.
    +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pursue your economic self interest. It is not up to you to change the political system from the bottom up.
    I understand your postings more now than I ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I understand your postings more now than I ever have.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post
    In a year, I'll be graduating with a B.S. in life science. I love what I study, but I'm super nervous about finding a job in this terrible job market. What makes it even more difficult is the fact that most jobs for people in the life sciences are gov-funded or at gov-funded labs. I feel like I'd be a terrible libertarian if I pursued a gov-funded job, yet I do need to find work.

I want to ask everyone their opinion on government jobs and labs that benefit people through research or public health services. I'm not crazy about the clinical side of things (I don't want to go to PA or med school), but I'm deeply passionate about research and public health and see these services as crucial. On the other side, I do understand some libertarians opposing this kind of work since most of it uses government funding. While (in an ideal libertarian world) research would be 100% privately funded, this just isn't a reality at the moment. What's a liberty-loving life sci nerd to do? BTW I'll be graduating with no debt or loans, so money isn't too big of an issue.
    Just follow your dreams, kiddo.

How so?
    I'll look for the thread where we left off and resume there if you really want to waste the time. I don't really want to wreck the op's thread. Probably shouldn't even have addressed anyone but her anyhow.

I mostly agree with this but don't get all outraged if your funding gets cut.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post

There's nothing wrong with accepting government money. They control the money instead of letting the people control they money. You're just taking part of the money back to the people, as you are one of them.

Pursue all options. Even when you are employed, don't stop making new opportunities for yourself. Not making opportunities is a mistake most people make, then wonder why they stagnate in their careers. No one will give you things on a silver platter just for showing up and keeping your head low for a certain amount of time. Those days are over. Ok, maybe the government will still do that for you as it's written in their codes

Well I'm not a libertarian and I have no idea what a degree in "life science" actually encompasses, but........

If you're even asking about government work there must be some part of you that finds it morally repugnant.

Isn't there private industry who could use your education?

Go ahead and work for the government.

Pay attention to what you're contributing to though. I wouldn't worry about the fact that your salary is paid by tax dollars, as long as it's doing something positive, not negative.

Use the opportunity to build up knowledge and credentials that you can use to communicate anti-state messages from your perspective in that field.

* Move to India
    * Work in Bio-tech there
    * Build us some good nano-bots, already!

I expect a free pre-release shipment in gratitude for this good advice.