Thread: Toastmasters

Toastmasters

Anyone involved in Toastmasters? It is a great way to learn public speaking and leadership skills. If a person ever gets into a debate speaking skills are very important. I have been in it for a short while and its helped me a lot in talking in front of groups. Leadership is lacking nowadays and people that learn to speak well can send a powerful message of liberty.

http://www.toastmasters.org/
    Last edited by seapilot; 10-21-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I agree. I only went to a meeting once when I was a Boy Scout years ago, but I really liked what they were doing. I wish I had the time, I'd join one locally.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I have been in it for about 8 months. Best thing I ever did. Strongly recommend it to anyone.

I developed these skills over time. I remember my speech class in high school was almost excruciating, and I was so freaking nervous.

Then I lived overseas, and had several occasions where I had to give speeches to hundreds of people in a language I didn't speak natively. That went a long way to killing the stage fright that I used to have. Then in college I had a business presentations class where we gave a speech almost every class. That was the nail in the coffin for my stage nervousness. Now I am almost as comfortable giving speeches to an audience as I am talking to a friend. I'm probably getting rusty though, I haven't given a speech in over a year.

Once you've got a bunch of experience giving speeches under your belt, you wonder what took you so long. It becomes easy to engage the audience's attention, make small jokes, and good transitions, and drive points home.

I've never participated in toastmasters, but comparing my speaking ability from when I started in my first speech class in high school, to my ability now where I can give effective, entertaining off the cuff speeches to community organizations with hundreds of people, I would have to recommend something like toastmasters for anyone who is not confident in their speaking abilities. It's a neat skill to have.

One thing I see a lot of people do as they become comfortable with themselves is that they begin to try too hard with the body language. Specifically over doing it with hand gestures. To the point that it's not natural. This almost forces them to (unwittingly) become a bit of an exhibitionist which may or may not get in the way of the energy and substance of the given talk.

But, yes. Is certainly a good thing to be able to do. Connect though. Do that first. Even if you feel comfortable with yourself doesn't particularly mean your listeners are comfortable with you.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-07-2013 at 06:25 AM.

We had a club member comment on watching Hillary Clinton speak on the TV the other day and how awful her public speaking skills were. Come to think of it Obama does not have very good ones using a teleprompter ( a good speaker does not require notes), Big and little bushes were not great either. In fact the last president to speak well was probably Reagan because of his acting skills.
    Last edited by seapilot; 11-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    We had a club member comment on watching Hillary Clinton speak on the TV the other day and how awful her public speaking skills were. Come to think of it Obama does not have very good ones using a teleprompter ( a good speaker does not require notes), Big and little bushes were not great either. In fact the last president to speak well was probably Reagan because of his acting skills.
    I agree, Reagan indeed had impressive vocal presense.
    Teleprompter reader Obama is lower grade speaker and an increasing deficit of meaning behind his words and things like him droning little children doesn't help his speechery either.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much is it? Or is it more of a voluntary association?

I've taken a few speech classes by wouldn't mind some more pointers. Plus I would love to simply have a platform to preach from. Drop little tidbits of reality here and there, that sort of thing.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I've wanted to get involved. I took some public speaking classes in college and excelled, but I'm kind of limited by my anxiety. Would love to get over that. I'm gonna try to follow up on this.

Toastmasters sounds too contrived for my tastes--what I pieced together from philosophy courses and debates is the following:

1. Wear something you feel comfortable in, so you don't lose concentration by doing something stupid like constantly adjusting your pants or bra strap.
    2. Know your subject* far beyond what you think will come up, make notes that may be particularly interesting to your audience and investigate further.
    3. Do not write a full speech that you just stand there and read, you'll look like an idiot and put people to sleep. Only children like being read to.
    4. I can't remember which philosopher this was from, but my chemistry mentor gave me an excellent tip: In your head, imagine each section of the speech as a room where you slowly travel from one room to the next. "Decorate" these imaginary rooms with trigger images in a logical order so you can smoothly flow from one part to the next.
    5. I used an outline of the 4 main sections of the speech, to rein in and tame tangents, even though I didn't have to use it much.

Worked really well for me in classrooms where I was the student or the teacher, also works well for job interviews. The end is the best when you actually get questions and can confidently answer them.

*When I say "know a subject," I'm serious. I had to give a speech on a few chapters on meaning/effects of Tolstoy's "My Confessions," so I read the entire book, read a bio of Tolstoy and synopses of the books of his I hadn't read, along with some history of the time period he lived in.

Toastmasters is an excellent organization.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    How much is it? Or is it more of a voluntary association?

I've taken a few speech classes by wouldn't mind some more pointers. Plus I would love to simply have a platform to preach from. Drop little tidbits of reality here and there, that sort of thing.
    It should be a nominal fee like $20-30 for a year or so if I recall correctly.

Concept and format is great, quality of experience can vary from group to group and really depends on group you pick to join in your area. But good news is that there are usually plenty of choices in groups at least in city areas. One could just sample couple of meetings before deciding to join.

In retrospect, I may have just become more narcissistic and arrogant over the years, rather than my speaking skills themselves improving.

I guess all the stage fear died at some point because of this.