Thread: House Intelligence Cmte votes to deny Alan Grayson documents re: Syria

House Intelligence Cmte votes to deny Alan Grayson documents re: Syria

House panel nixes Grayson's request for Syria intelligence

In a highly unusual move, the House Intelligence Committee voted this week to deny an outspoken Florida lawmaker access to classified information supporting President Barack Obama’s call for a military strike in Syria.

The committee’s decision Wednesday to deny the sensitive materials to Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) was driven in part by a heated House floor speech he gave in June (text/video) in which he displayed and discussed a “top secret” PowerPoint presentation National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden leaked to the Guardian and the Washington Post, a Hill staffer familiar with the situation said.

The panel members present at the meeting voted unanimously to deny Grayson access to some of the information he was seeking, according to a tally reviewed by POLITICO. Other records were denied to him on a 14-1 vote, with Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) the sole dissenter, the tally shows.

“They said, ‘No,’” Grayson said Thursday. “It’s fundamentally wrong that members of the intelligence committee have information and they’re keeping other members of Congress from having access to it…There’s no legitimate reason to distinguish between what one member of Congress has access to and what another member has access to. We are all equal under the Constitution.”

A spokeswoman for the committee’s ranking Democrat, Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger of Maryland, confirmed the denial of Grayson’s requests. However, she said a key factor was the mootness of the Syria debate at the moment, given Obama’s decision to proceed with diplomatic efforts to strip Syria of its chemical weapons and his withdrawal of the call for Congressional approval of military action.

“Mr. Grayson's requests for classified details about Syria are now not relevant to any vote that Congress has pending before it,” Ruupersberger spokeswoman Allison Getty said in a statement. “In addition, much information has now been and will be made public as diplomatic options became available. Should future votes on this issue or others arise, every effort is made to make relevant classified information available for Members to make informed decisions.”

More:
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-...ce-175396.html

At the October 16 hearing, the committee voted to provide other Members access to classified documents. Only Grayson was denied.

http://intelligence.house.gov/sites/...ctober2013.pdf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    God damn vipers, all of them.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I notice there's duplicate motions...
    Notice of Committee Votes from Business Meeting of October 16, 2013
    1. Motion to provide access to Committee documents to Mr. Rothfus:
    Ayes: Mr. Rogers (Chairman), Mr. Miller, Mr. Conaway, Mr. King, Mr. LoBiondo, Mrs. Bachmann,
    Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersberger, Mr. Thompson, Ms. Schak
    owsky, Mr. Schiff, Mr. Himes. Noes: None.

Motion to provide access to Committee documents to Mr. Griffith
    Ayes: Mr. Rogers (Chairman), Mr. Miller, Mr. Conaway, Mr. King, Mr. LoBiondo, Mr.
    Westmoreland, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersber
    ger, Mr. Thompson, Ms. Schakowsky, Mr. Schiff, Mr. Himes. Noes: None.

Motion to provide access to Committee documents to Mr. Griffith
    Ayes: Mr. Rogers (Chairman), Mr. Miller, Mr. Conaway, Mr. King, Mr. LoBiondo, Mr.
    Westmoreland, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersberger, Ms. Schakowsky,
    Mr. Schiff, Mr. Himes. Noes: Mr. Thompson.

Motion to provide access to Committee documents to Mr. Price
    Westmoreland, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersberger, Mr. Thompson, Ms.
    Schakowsky, Mr. Schiff, Mr. Himes. Noes: None.

Motion to deny access to Committee documents toMr. Grayson
    Ayes: Mr. Rogers (Chairman), Mr. Miller, Mr. Conaway, Mr. King, Mr. LoBiondo
    , Mr. Westmoreland, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersberger, Mr. Thompson, Mr.
    Schiff, Mr. Himes, Ms. Sewell. Noes: Ms. Schakowsky.

Motion to deny access to Committee documents to Mr. Grayson
    Westmoreland, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Heck, Mr. Pompeo, Mr. Ruppersberger, Mr. Thompson, Ms.
    Schakowsky, Mr. Schiff, Ms. Sewell. Noes: None.

7. Motion to provide access to Committee documents to Mr. Lynch
    Schakowsky, Mr. Schiff, Ms. Sewell. Noes: None.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

guess he's not in the "tribe"
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I don't always agree with him, but he does seem to be one of the few with at least some integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    I notice there's duplicate motions...
    It's most likely for different sets of documents.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    It's most likely for different sets of documents.
    goes to show you... lot's of documents. I wonder what his 750K constituents feel about not being represented?

Internal Security... the age old cry of the oppressors.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

“They said, ‘No,’” Grayson said Thursday. “It’s fundamentally wrong that members of the intelligence committee have information and they’re keeping other members of Congress from having access to it…There’s no legitimate reason to distinguish between what one member of Congress has access to and what another member has access to. We are all equal under the Constitution.”
    Yes, Mr. Grayson, that's why it is important for those in government to follow the rules, always.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I don't always agree with him, but he does seem to be one of the few with at least some integrity.
    Maybe the way a broken clock shows integrity twice a day. This bastard lies like you and I breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I withdraw this statement.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ign-Literature