Thread: 5 Amazing Things You Didn't Know About Marijuana

5 Amazing Things You Didn't Know About Marijuana

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-me...out-marijuana/

It's no coincidence that marijuana legalization support has surged with the growth of social media. The voices of the Reefer Madness era are silenced daily as studies and testimonials continue pouring in about this often misunderstood plant. Ignorance still remains, however, and this fight won't be won without continued education of the masses.

1. THC and CBD, marijuana's primary cannabinoids, are both cancer killers.

No, I'm not talking about using marijuana to help manage cancer's effects. It's actually anti-cancer.

Recent research out of Spain suggests that THC, marijuana's psychoactive ingredient, kills brain cancer cells. Study co-author Guillermo Velasco claims that when THC was applied to cancerous brain tissue, the cancer cells were killed while healthy cells were left alone.

2. Marijuana triggers neurogenesis. Layman's terms: It leads to brain cell growth.

Wait....marijuana is supposed to kill brain cells, right?

Wrong.

The roots of the marijuana-kills-brain-cells myth are deep despite the lack of credible evidence. The original study supporting this notion is questionable at best and recent research suggests exactly the opposite.

3. Suicide rates are lower in areas where medical marijuana is available.

A Denver state-level study analyzed the statistical trend of suicide after introduction of medical marijuana.
    ...well most of us knew this stuff

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interestingly, there is evidence that some pharmaceutical anti-depressants stimulate neurogenesis and it is theorized that this may be how they function therapeutically.

For example: http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/psy...urogenesis.htm

Perhaps MJ's anti-depressant effects are also from neurogenesis? Interesting stuff.

Here is another article. They are reluctant to admit that smoking pot stimulates neurogenesis, but they can't get around it:

http://andrewpavelski.com/2011/07/28...cells-neurons/
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

There is absolutely no good reason not to legalize it, the only reasons against are brought by the uninformed, or the ones that watched reefer madness like stated above, in addition to the scientific reasons you listed above, there are so many common sense reasons to legalize it, such as revenue mainly, cuts power and money to violent drug cartels, lets people get their buzz without getting angry violent drunk, alcohol is so much worse than marijuana on society but yet they will not legalize it

If they legalize marijuana, that will just increase the amount of intoxicated people in this country.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    If they legalize marijuana, that will just increase the amount of intoxicated people in this country.
    If someone wants to do weed, they're already doing it. I've never touched the stuff in my life, but the only reason to ban the stuff is because of parents who are too scared to do any parenting and the government using them as a tool while they make money off the drug war.

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    If someone wants to do weed, they're already doing it. I've never touched the stuff in my life, but the only reason to ban the stuff is because of parents who are too scared to do any parenting and the government using them as a tool while they make money off the drug war.
    If it's legal, that will just encourage people to try it and they will go on to use harder drugs.
    "The Patriarch"

"marijuana is dangerous", rand paul
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

If it's legal, that will just encourage people to try it and they will go on to use harder drugs.

i do hope you are being sarcastic, if not . you must be aware the gateway theory is 100% bogus. By stats if anything couldbe called a gateway drug it would be labeled nicotine. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. Where marijuana is legal less kids by stats per capita use marijuana. research
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe it'll be an improvement. Cannabis has the capacity to free minds in my experience; not that this is always the case.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

If there is any "gateway effect" at all, prohibition and anti-cannabis scare campaigns are directly responsible.

If a kid who's been told all his life that ganja is a scourge on society tries it and discovers that it's not only harmless, but actually conducive to new mental and emotional discovery, naturally he's going to wonder if the adults in his life have been lying to him about other drugs too. That's not a consequence of trying cannabis and suddenly needing to push the envelope further...it's a consequence of disillusionment after finding out how full of s**t adults really are, and not knowing who or what information to trust anymore.
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 10-19-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

One could also argue there will be less people intoxicated on alcohol.

There are better ways to help them than taking their freedom.
    Last edited by Acala; 10-19-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    If there is any "gateway effect" at all, prohibition and anti-cannabis scare campaigns are directly responsible.

If a kid who's been told all his life that ganja is a scourge on society tries it and discovers that it's not only harmless, but actually conducive to new mental and emotional discovery, naturally he's going to wonder if the adults in his life have been lying to him about other drugs too. That's not a consequence of trying cannabis and suddenly needing to push the envelope further...it's a consequence of disillusionment after finding out how full of s**t adults really are, and not knowing who or what information to trust anymore.
    No, that can't be right. That happens when he discovers there's no Santa Claus. We need to keep weed illegal so kids won't shoot heroin and cops can raid peoples houses, shoot their dogs and take their property. Besides, it makes black men want to have sex with white women and stuff.
    "The Patriarch"

No, that can't be right. That happens when he discovers there's no Santa Claus. We need to keep weed illegal so kids won't shoot heroin and cops can raid peoples houses, shoot their dogs and take their property. Besides, it makes black men want to have sex with white women and stuff.
    Why hell!

I like having sex with white women too...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Why hell!

I like having sex with white women too...
    Sure, but what about stuff???
    "The Patriarch"

Sure, but what about stuff???
    No "stuff", thanks anyway....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.