Thread: It's one fresh hell after another, and "that feeling small feeling."

It's one fresh hell after another, and "that feeling small feeling."

Who can't relate?

That feeling small feeling
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...small-feeling/

A fellow blogger said something very kind the other day. After noting that he was trying to stay offline to avoid “outrage fatigue,” he mentioned that he saw me as somebody who could descend to into that state, then pull myself back up and “return to humanity from perfectly natural, periodic sorties of indignation and disgust.”

It was kind. I think he’s that sort of person, too. But I wish it weren’t true. I wish I never, ever had to go into that place, only to drag my butt (and my brain) back out of it, time and again. I wish he didn’t, either.

But you know how it is. Because you’ve been there, too. You pursue your dreams. You carve out some peaceful little world for yourself, vowing to leave politicians, bureaucrats, the Stasi, and the puppycide brigade behind. Then, no matter how hard you close your eyes, how hard you turn your head away, no matter how often you hug the kids or play with the dog, no matter how much you determine just to cherish your own good life … they strike again. They. FBI. CIA. NSA. DEA. IRS. Congress. The Nazgul. Or maybe just some local Napoleon who loves his power or “the rules” just a little too much. And down you go. Into the depths.

Not just once but again and again. Because, as my correspondent also pointed out the powers that be are relentless. And multifarious in the outrages they can inflict.

You’re just recuperating from the Snowden revelations. When you get hit with Obamacare. And while you don’t mind the 17% government “shutdown” that accompanies it and you’re encouraged, perhaps, by the growing disgust and contempt of the American (and indeed, the world) public toward Our Glorious Government, you wonder if people will ever get the real, core message. Or will they, in their various forms of disgust, instead clamor for things like government-administered medicine and government-financed campaigns?

And that’s just the last couple of months. What’s worse is not knowing what’ll come tomorrow. Or not knowing what’s already upon us that simply hasn’t come out of the shadows yet.

The absolute worst thing, though (aside from whatever real world horrors might come our way as a result of all this of course), is feeling small. Feeling helpless. As if there’s not one real, solid thing you can do about all this. Maybe I’d better only speak for myself here, because I just know somebody’s going to post a comment about how they never, ever, ever for a moment let outside events bother them. But I know I’m not alone in feeling this way.

How do you stop Obamacare or the national debt (but I repeat myself)? How do you combat the Stasi when you don’t even know all they’re up to?

You know what it feels like to me, sometimes — this onrush of ruination? It feels like being a peasant in Europe in 1348, hearing rumors about this deadly new sickness rampaging upwards from the south, destroying all in its path. For the moment, you really don’t have it so bad. But this plague is coming, black, noisome, hellish, creeping inexorably in your direction. You know it. The stories get darker — and more real and more close to home — every day. And there’s nothing you can do to protect you and yours from the deadly invader.

You feel insignificant. Impotent.

That’s the worst.

Another thing it feels like, or so I imagine, is being dragged underwater by a force so big you can’t even comprehend it.
    [...]
    On the other, for some, the feeling of smallness and helplessness is the opposite. It’s a powerful motivator. It feeds determination. They. Will not. Get. Me. Down. Not in the long run. I will not let anybody do this — to me, to mine, to freedom...
    Please click through and read the rest.

My DH is one of the people in the last line I quoted. He asked me to make him a bumper sticker during O Duce's first term. He hates the ones that issue directives, and this is what he wanted:

Last edited by Lucille; 10-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.