Thread: Grocery Store "Smart Shelves" Will Identify Customers, Show Targeted Ads

Grocery Store "Smart Shelves" Will Identify Customers, Show Targeted Ads

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/10/...w-targeted-ads

"Snack company Mondelez International (maker of Oreos, Trident, Cadbury eggs) will introduce so-called 'smart shelves' into store checkout aisles beginning 2015. The shelves will use Microsoft's Kinect software, in addition to other tech, to identify shoppers age and sex, and will then use that info to deliver demographically tailored advertisements. The shelves will be able to track engagement, monitor how long customer's watch each ad, and offer discounts if a customer is considering a purchase (weight sensors will tell the machine if you pick up a product). Mondelez says the software will only use and collect aggregate data, and will not record any video or photos."
    No no no! It isnt about using Information to CONTROL you, its about putting you in charge of what we want you to buy! We tell you that you must choose between Coke and Pepsi! See? Thats real Freedumb! Now make your choice, Coke, or Pepsi! No you arent allowed to pick WATER you Mundane! Choose between what we tell you to choose! And yes that gives you total control over your life!

/sarcasm
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everyone should read this book. Like...now.

Spychips... http://www.scribd.com/doc/156665472/...ntyre-Spychips

The subject that DamianTV shares is one of many, many subjects discussed in great detail.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-15-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Bump for people who still think that their information is safe if it is in their wallet. Heh...

Article says it will generically, not specifically, identify shoppers.
    to identify shoppers age and sex, and will then use that info to deliver demographically tailored advertisements.

Yeah, there are likely a gazillion articles that say that the technology and practice itself has evolved since this one was penned, Zip.

Likely not a battle you'll win, my friend.

Aside - I removed that book from the link a few posts previously. It's called Spychips if anyone is interested in its contents, though. Katherine has been a friend of personal privacy and freedom for many years and could use support. A forum search for her name will likely yield some of her work. In fact, I'm sure of it.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-18-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Everyone should read this book. Like...now.

Spychips... http://www.scribd.com/doc/156665472/...ntyre-Spychips

The subject that DamianTV shares is one of many, many subjects discussed in great detail.
    The document Katherine Albrecht and Liz McIntyre - Spychips has been deleted.
    Well theres a suprise.

---

to identify shoppers age and sex, and will then use that info to deliver demographically tailored advertisements.
    But only until they dont generically identify shoppers, and change it to specifically identifying shoppers, as pretty much every online store does.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Online stores recognize you from your "cookies" and your URL. A person walking into a physical store does not have that.

Online stores recognize you from your "cookies" and your URL. A person walking into a physical store does not have that.
    Wrong, Zip. You have to catch up on this stuff, man. Cookies and urls are soooo yesterday. I know for a fact that I've shared the evolution of the practice here. Some place. I don't remember where, though.

Oh, nevermind. I didn't see that you said online stores. I thought you meant the brick and mortar ones. Sorry.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-18-2015 at 08:29 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All the info will forward to central servers that will organize it just like a cookie. Except this cookie you have no control over being able to delete or format. It's worse because the Kinect can do a 3d surface scan of your face to keep on file, not just an image.

I honestly wouldn't care about any of this if I could be assured the government and law enforcement would keep their nose out of it.

But how can we ever trust them?

I'll stick to shopping online from my pc with bitcoin @ 50% off on items, no camera, no mic.
    Last edited by muh_roads; 03-18-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Your Face will be the Cookie replacement for real life tracking.

Some sites still use cookies for functionality, but for tracking, they pretty much use Browser Fingerprinting now. Cookies are only tracking fallbacks.

Todays tracking, which is based on Browser Fingerprint for online $#@!, is done through javascript enumeration of fonts, and even if that can be blocked, js is still used to generate a Canvas object which becomes a Browser Fingerprint. Every machine renders these uniquely. Combined with other things, like IP address, time stamp, time it takes to process, etc, all lead to a nearly exact identity match. Even TOR is not 100% effective at defeating Browser Fingerprinting.

For Real World, get used to Facial Recognition.
    "John Anderton, dont forget to pick up your wife's tampons."
    "Mrs. Anderton, dont forget to pick up your husbands hemmoroid cream"

Walmart of the 22nd century. Completely full of technology vs privacy fail. $#@! a bunch of computerized stores.
    1776 > 1984

I'm glad I won't have to live in the nightmare that is coming.

Screw this incremental bull$#@!. Bring on the damn terminators already.

I always knew cookies would be the mark of the beast. They're just too damn delicious to be innocent...
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...