Thread: Greetings and Salutations

Greetings and Salutations

Hey everyone! I was lurking around the forum the last couple of days and finally decided to sign up. I was searching google for a good Libertarian forum and this place seems to have the most members, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Not only did I join because I am a Libertarian, but also because I'm tired of listening to people shoot down people like us, calling us any multitude of names. I want to educate myself further in the world of Libertarian politics so I can actually stand my ground against the common sheeple.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The name rocks, welcome.
    "The Patriarch"

Welcome to the forums. You will find like minded individuals here, guaranteed.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Welcome. You will find weirdos too.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Sometimes I wonder if Rush is actually over-rated, but I really like Pink Floyd. I think that Dark Side Of The Moon was probably their pinnacle. I find Dream Theatre boring, and I think that Radiohead's Paranoid Android is a good example of a more modern prog-rock band that I like. The latest album that came out which I consider to be rather "progressive" was The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, or even Oracular Spectacular by MGMT. Call me crazy, but Lana Del Ray also seems "progressive" to me, but more likely "avante-garde" I guess. Liberals are gay.

May your stay here be fruitful.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Ah, a fellow prog rock fanatic.

Welcome!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Rush is actually over-rated, but I really like Pink Floyd. I think that Dark Side Of The Moon was probably their pinnacle. I find Dream Theatre boring, and I think that Radiohead's Paranoid Android is a good example of a more modern prog-rock band that I like. The latest album that came out which I consider to be rather "progressive" was The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, or even Oracular Spectacular by MGMT. Call me crazy, but Lana Del Ray also seems "progressive" to me, but more likely "avante-garde" I guess. Liberals are gay.
    Have you ever checked out Porcupine Tree or any solo work from Steven Wilson?

I know quite a few people who share your sentiments on Dream Theater. I'm not sure where that criticism comes from but to each his own, right? Well I do kind of have an idea. Some people find their flashy playing to be a bit self-indulgent and I can understand that. Not everyone is impressed by technically proficient players. They moved away from that a bit on their new CD. A lot of people who have passed on them in the past are actually quite impressed. The band consciously decided to put more effort into writing songs and not just the "guitar olympics" as a friend of mine once described it.

If you like Pink Floyd, you should check out RPWL. They're a German-based band who started out as a Pink Floyd cover band, but now do originals. I'd describe them as a modern Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Ah, a fellow prog rock fanatic.

Welcome!
    Thanks, friend. Who are you into?

Welcome to the forums @Prog Snob.

I'm into folk rock, so...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Welcome to the forums @Prog Snob.

I'm into folk rock, so...
    I don't know too much about folk rock, BUT I do love listening to Arlo Guthrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Snob View Post
    I don't know too much about folk rock, BUT I do love listening to Arlo Guthrie.
    I like that Sinead O'Connor/Glenn Danzig duet icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Snob View Post
    Thanks, friend. Who are you into?
    Well, I'm actually somewhat of a newcomer to the genre, but so far, I've really been enjoying Rush, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Supertramp, King Crimson, Island, Spock's Beard, and of course, ELP. All the big'uns mostly, but starting to dabble into the obscure. How about you?
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Well, I'm actually somewhat of a newcomer to the genre, but so far, I've really been enjoying Rush, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Supertramp, King Crimson, Island, Spock's Beard, and of course, ELP. All the big'uns mostly, but starting to dabble into the obscure. How about you?
    Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Spock's Beard/Neal Morse, Marillion, Subsignal/Sieges Even, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis (with Gabriel), The Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Frank Zappa, Shadow Gallery... I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch out.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I like that Sinead O'Connor/Glenn Danzig duet icon.
    Interesting observation.

it's called prog rock? I've always called it art rock. cut my teeth on early crimson, gabriel, genesis. i think gabriel's security is my lifetime favorite album.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, PS. And it is a snobbish genre.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 10-29-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws