Thread: HOWTO flyer distribution & DOOR 2 DOOR The Anti-Dean Way - Flyers In Iowa & Elsewhere

HOWTO flyer distribution & DOOR 2 DOOR The Anti-Dean Way - Flyers In Iowa & Elsewhere

I was a door-to-door salesman for a time, selling cable TV to folks. It was somewhat different, as our pitch began with "I'm here to let you know our crews are coming out to do some work on your lines" (total bull so they think you're not selling anything) "and while they're here -- they're running a special! all we need is your SSN...." I quit that job before long, but read some Dale Carnegie in preparation and learned quite a bit.

If you go door to door:

FIRST! Research the Howard Dean collapse in Iowa in 2004.

Dean supporters turned off some Iowa voters in 2004. Obviously, we should learn from their mistakes, and not repeat them. It may well be that the complaints were over-reported, but we can combat that type of thing. Just don't cram anything down people's throats. For the most part, this is a get in, hand a flyer, get out operation.

GOALS

1. Name Recognition

People need to know he exists. If they look into candidates, they will have him on his mind. MSM will not help here. So cram his name down their throats one time, give them literature, and be on with it.

2. FACETIME: Exposure of Ron Paul in Action

You have far less chance to convince somebody RP is the man than he does himself. Direct them to youtube, direct them to ronpaullibrary.com -- let them decide for themselves. If they are able to think, they will vote for Ron Paul.

We are a street team. We cannot offer celebrity status, or political standing, to endorse Paul. All we can do is say that we support him, and that others should look into him.

Consider: Don't try to convince people they should vote for him.

Just tell them the primaries are very important, they may have to register, etc, and, 'That's what I am doing to be sure I can vote for Ron Paul.'

Most people will not be convinced by your words. They very well may be affected by the simple knowledge that YOU support him. So make yourself likeable, friendly, and inform them he exists. Convince them to look him up, and make up their own minds. Accepting Ron's message comes from hearing Ron, not from hearing you.

3. Get him in the Mainstream: Ron Paul is NOT a 'fringe' candidate!

Just by getting out there and telling people -- 1 time -- that you support Ron Paul -- gets this message out. People by and large are not very independent thinkers. Most will not support someone who will put them on the 'fringe' among those they talk to. But the more they hear people support him, the more comfortable they will be in considering it for themselves.

INTERACTION
    ========================

If you pay attention, you can often find out in the first 15 seconds what type of experience it's going to be. Be careful to pre-judge, but look for signs of problems that pop up early.

1. Sincerity
    Eye contact, value the individual, sincere compliments help, "beautiful flowers" -- but only if you really think they are beautiful -- people know the difference. Listen more than you speak, you should even 'listen' while you are speaking.

2. Simplicity
    Too much convincing, and people start resisting. The vast majority of people will only be convinced by Ron Paul himself, on their own time. Convince them to look into him, not to vote for him.

3. Efficiency
    Spend your time wisely. Don't fight uphill battles with people who are argumentative or say they want to Nuke Iran, for instance. Diffuse the ticking time-bomb. "I can respect that. Ron Paul thinks differently, but I recommend you at least see what else he believes. Thanks! Bye!"

If someone gets heated, look into their eyes and immediately apologize, no matter what you or they have done! You are on their property. Apologize and get off of it - not much good can happen after the person is angry.

4. Effectiveness
    Use materials that provide the opportunity for folks to find out the bulk of the message. Use something with an outline of issues. If it's in their hands, they may read it all, just about no matter how long it is. But they might not sit down at the computer and type in "all that dubya dubya crap" to get the same information.

With those that are very supportive, spend a bit of extra time. Balance it, of course, but a couple of minutes could mean the difference between a voter and a contributor/meetup supporter. Give extra information when you need to. WRITE IT DOWN WITH YOUR OWN PEN and it's personally recommended.

Hopefully DVD's will be available, otherwise, here is a good CD:

http://www.srchost.com/ronpaul/viewtopic.php?t=124

You need your own label at this point, as far as I know. I suggest you at least write, "Ronpaul2008.com -- pass it on"

5. Consistency
    Use a consistent opening line, attention grabber, or pitch. Reasons:
    You get better at it the more you use it.
    When you find a good one, you just repeat the process.

6. Knowledge
    If you can't answer the common questions people have about issues, and especially some of RP's bad 'sounding' ones (" He's against the PATRIOT act? No AMNESTY? Those sound good...") this probably isn't a job for you. It's too important to be able to outline at least the basics to those receptive enough to ask questions.

I think that I would often use:
    "Well, the Constitution says that should be left up to the states. Ron Paul just wants to get the federal government out of it -- so ya'all in Iowa are free to solve it as you please."

THE PITCH

What you say and how you say it is vital.

There should be a consistent, simple approach, and it should be respectful, and present you well.

Within those guidelines, anything works that:
    1. Shows them you are sincere.
    2. Gets them to look at the flyer as more than something they will have to throw away.
    3. Gets them to realize he's not just the politician that somebody picked this time, he's the only guy that's principled enough to deserve a citizen's vote.

Ron Paul indeed sells himself. The main obstacle to an individual realizing Paul's truth is their assumptions. You can design your opening 'pitch' statement to shatter one or more of these assumptions off the bat, otherwise they'll just tell you their assumption, like "yeah, but he can't win".

Say something that gets them totally out of their thought process. The longer you allow their preconceptions of you (scammer! con artist! salesman!) to remain in their heads, the stronger their resistance will be. The first words out of your mouth (possibly after a 'hello', but not necessarily) should shatter any assumption they have as to your intentions.

ASSUMPTIONS
    ================

1. "All politicians are corrupt. (and I don't want to hear about another one.)"
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "I hate politics and politicians too. That's what turned me on to Ron Paul. He votes the way he says he will, and it's always in line with the Constitution. He abhors lobbyists and what they've done to our government, just like I do. At least check into this guy, he's more like a wise grandpa than a politician."

2. "Ron Paul has good ideas, but he can't win."
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "Well, I vote on principle, not who I think is going to win, but he does have a good chance. He took first or second in EVERY major debate poll, including first place in the CNN poll, who hosted the debate. The most recent straw poll by the Taxpayers union placed him in second, ahead of McCain & Giuliani. He's raised upwards of $5 million dollars based on his performance in debates only a few months ago, and, most importantly, he has many passionate people like me out on the streets."

3. "Our country will collapse if we take away these government programs"
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "Ron Paul's a college educated Economist, and knows exactly what these things do to our economy, and our society. He thinks they're unconstitutional, and bad for our country. And no one is saying that your state can't implement the program -- he just agrees with the Founding Fathers that it is not to be addressed by the federal government. It should be left to the states."

DON'T!

Introduce your personal views -- they are irrelevant! Leave them out of the conversation entirely. All that matters is to achieve our goals is to pass on Ron Paul's views.

There are a few minor issues that I'm not totally sure I agree with about Paul -- and there are bound to be some for you too. But he's definitely smarter and more knowledgeable than me, and chances are he's smarter than you too. His job is to research these things. Leave the expertise of explaining the issues to him. He's running for president, we're following his lead, spreading his message.

Some of the things that feel most natural to say up front to someone can be detrimental.

"Do you guys want some reading material?"
    "You want a flyer?"

In a 'cold call' situation, if you give them an option to take the flyer, they will say no, almost every time, because the vast majority of people assume that when they are confronted by strangers in situations such as this are about to be 'conned' into something. Many, many people will greet you with skepticism.

And, although it could probably be handled properly, I don't even like:

"Have you heard of Ron Paul?"

Most commonly, at least at this point in the campaign, this question results in a 'no' answer, and creates an obstacle for you to overcome. Now, not only do you have to tell them who he is, but you have put them in a position to defend their not having heard of him. The easiest way for them to defend this in their own head is: "He's a nobody." Now they have an incentive to convince themselves your message, and Ron's, is not important to them.

SOME IDEAS FOR YOUR PITCH:

I have found -- Keep It Simple Stupid

What I have learned while passing out flyers on my own is that simple works best. I went through the trial and error period and made many mistakes -- the main one being I would TALK TOO MUCH. The simplest approach (and it works surprisingly well!) is to hold the flyer in front of them until they grab it, while saying nothing, or maybe just "Hi guys". Their instinct is to grab it. The longer you are silent, the more likely they are to grab it, if they haven't already. Then, in defense of a possible awkward silence, they start reading.

If I try to explain why they should grab the flyer from my hand, they are much more likely to defend themselves against my argument -- a simple 'no thanks' and they are out of the situation. The silent way, it is easier to grab the thing than to figure out something to say.

The foundation of this approach is that most know politicians are full of it, and most strangers who approach want something in return. That's why they resist.

There will be as many different approaches as people walking the streets, but they should all aim to achieve the goals and guidelines outlined above. Here are some suggestions. Note the intent to instantly shatter some of the common misconceptions/assumptions about Ron Paul/candidates in general.

"Hi, I don't know if you guys are into politics... (hold out flyer)
    I never was until I found this guy. (they look at the flyer)"

"He took first in the debate polls on MSNBC and CNN, and second in the latest straw poll by the Taxpayers union, ahead of McCain & Giuliani."

OR

"I've never been excited about a politician before -- but this guy is awesome."

OR

"I hate politics because I hate politicians -- but this guy is different"

OR

"You probably don't believe in the Constitution, but if you do, this is the guy"

QUESTIONS

Often they will just say "OK. Thanks." Leave em be! They're gonna look, but they want to do so alone. Other times they will ask questions back, and at this point it is VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.com
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com

if you can't answer these questions succinctly and accurately, you have reading to do:

What is RP's stance on:
    Abortion
    Gun Rights
    Church & State
    Christianity
    Foreign Policy
    State's Rights
    Health Care
    Taxes

& maybe most importantly,

How do you get rid of a bunch of federal programs and bring the troops home? Won't the country collapse?

Most of these people are prime for Paul's message -- but a small few just want to argue politics with you. Watch out. If you are lucky enough to get someone interested enough to ask questions like this, your answer may be the difference between them researching more, or deciding RP is no good -- so read up!

--------

At least half of the RP supporters I know were convinced through RP's speeches. Therefore, I believe the most effective campaigning strategy is to get RP videos to the people.

Ron Paul TV
    http://freeme.tv
    Ron Paul's YouTube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ronpaul2008dotcom
    Download and burn a CD to hand to people (doesn't even require internet for them to watch it)
    http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/

------------------

REMEMBER

Kindle the fire, and let it burn on it's own. Don't try to stay with one person, tending their fire, while you could be starting others that blaze by themselves.

Our biggest obstacle is name recognition and for the fed up to realize he's not just another politician -- he's exactly what we've been waiting for!!
    Last edited by nayjevin; 05-04-2009 at 02:02 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Excellent Post IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING RP ELECTED

This is going to be a grassroots campaign. We need to follow this poster's advice TO THE LETTER.
    Thanks NAYJEVIN for writing it!

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great message Nayjevin- I'm giving this a sticky.

A few things to add from my experiences in passing out flyers on the streets in Houston. Do not open with "You want a flyer" or anything like it, I think you could ask "Would you like $100" and people will still say no. We actually have gotten decent results from "Have you heard about Ron Paul" - but then again, we're not anywhere near a straw poll so the election is way off most minds here.

Based on the "want something in return" principle, pushing the getting ride of the IRS does good as part of a first or second line. Example:
    You: "I've never been excited about a politician before -- but this guy is awesome."
    Voter: << Grrrrr... ??? >>
    You: "He's trying to get ride of the IRS so we can keep our money. Really, if you look at the numbers it's not that hard..."

You must be educated and understand some basic numbers however- my favorite:
    http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst041006.htm
    Even today, individual income taxes account for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. Eliminating one-third of the proposed 2007 budget would still leave federal spending at roughly $1.8 trillion-- a sum greater than the budget just 6 years ago in 2000!

Anytime you're passing out flyers have some bumper stickers as well, if you run into Dr. Paul supporters offer them a few.

For most people, you really have to get out of your comfort zone to do well- don't be afraid to approach people and get some hard rejection for just being there, just move on.

New Flyers

Last edited by nayjevin; 05-04-2009 at 01:52 AM.

A friend gave the following advice for people who vote 'lesser of two evils':

if you want to influence someone
    A. make them comfortable
    B. make them like you

you won't convince them by making them feel like you have won the argument

-- make them feel like you and they are in a mutual search for the truth. a good

question is a more powerful tool of influence than a good statement.

"Ron Paul has no chance of winning"

I understand. But we're not voting on the super bowl -- isn't it our

responsibility to vote for what we think is best? democracy won't work if we

don't vote for what we think is best. Our job is not to pick the winner of the

horserace -- it's to pick from our conscience who is the best. If we all vote for

who we think can win, doesn't the media choose our vote? very few of us trust

the media anymore..."

Vote your Values

If you're opposed to the war, want lower taxes and secure borders Ron Paul is the only choice.

He has even more great ideas and solutions.....then hold out the flyer

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul is winning: Use this as an asset!
    Ron Paul is the most searched candidate on the internet: Use as asset
    Most Friends on MySpace; He is cool.

If someone says he can't win, act incredulous and say he is. If we have learned anything from Bush, it should be "create our own reality."

"Ron Paul is WINNING. He won the NH straw poll. He beat Rudy and John McCain in Iowa. He is now the most searched candidate on the net. I am surprised you have not heard of him."

"Ron Paul is WINNING. He won the NH straw poll. He beat Rudy and John McCain in Iowa. He is now the most searched candidate on the net. I am surprised you have not heard of him."
    here is a good resource:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/straw-poll-results/

"Out of the 17 straw polls so far, Ron Paul has won 5. He has placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in 13 of those 17. Oh he can win."

Thanks for the excellent advice and links, Nayjevin,

I can really use these suggestions to streamline my approach.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. – Plato

If I may add, even as a new member, my two cents to this.

The CD/DVD idea is great. Most, if not everyone here I think understands how to burn a CD. Burn them. Take 10 with you everywhere you go. I have been a Ron Paul supporter for precisely 3 days and since my conversion, I have become consumed with his campaign and his eventual election.

I know, personally, that what got me on this train was hearing the passion and honestly in Dr.Paul's message. In 3 days, I have turned from "Edwards" democrat to a full blown, lay down and die supporter for the man I feel is the only man that can lead this nation out of it's gutter and put us back in a respectable light in the world.

In 3 days, I've helped found my local meetup for Ron Paul supporters, joined numerous sites, including this one to try and help get the word out about Dr.Paul's message. Tomorrow, I will be working the booth at a meetup in Raleigh, NC in support of Dr.Paul...call me fanatic if you wish. I think I am safe in assuming you all feel the exact same way or you wouldn't be here. I also think I am safe in saying that 99% of you came to this movement after HEARING and SEEING Dr.Paul's message.

That being said, a pamphlet is great. A flyer is great. Any form of getting the word out is great. But, having people VIEW and HEAR his message will be so much more powerful. Burn these CD/DVDs. Leave them laying on the sink in men's and women's restrooms. Write or print labels for them that are intriguing and rouse the curiosity in people. "Top secret - How to beat the IRS" is a good title. "Dude, where's my constitution?" is another. Use your own phrases. Really put some thought into it. Be creative. Leave them in Walmart, Target, Truckstops, Rest areas on highways (be careful with your "stance" in the men's room!! <-- bad Larry Craig joke).

The most important thing we can do to help this cause is to get the message, AS SPOKEN BY RON PAUL out in the street.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting and rallying with as many of you as possible.
    http://themilitantminds.com

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreedom View Post
    In 3 days, I have turned from "Edwards" democrat to a full blown, lay down and die supporter for the man I feel is the only man that can lead this nation out of it's gutter and put us back in a respectable light in the world.
    It's almost like meetin' Jesus for the first time

Welcome aboard the Freedom Train, next stop: America!

Edward's lose, Paul's gain

Great to have you on board JF. Sounds like you caught the Ron Paul fever - it's spreading like crazy. Man, we need the South bad and it's going to be a challenge with the Fred Head so keep up the good work.

Jack

I've actually found that bringing up abolishing the IRS is a BAD MOVE. That's probably the most-noticed item on the slim jim in my experience, and it's almost always met with frowns and then something along the lines of, "that'll never happen" or "how will we run the government then?" I always answer with the whole third of our budget equals more than the 2000 budget, etc, etc, but that's usually far too complicated for people to digest and accept in such a brief context. They usually just wind up walking away thinking Ron is a loon. So unless you're on a different planet where that line actually works, I'd stay away from that one. In fact, I wish the campaign would take it off of the slim jim, it is too much for most people to handle.

Just my personal experience though. Your milage may vary.

This is great stuff... thanks. Can someone help me. I was randomly running through links on this site and saw something which had suggested answers to likely questions one might hear when talking about Ron Paul. Could someone direct me to that post... now I can't find it.

thanks

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs up Great Advice!!...Thanks!!

Great Advice!!...Thanks!!...will use this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    I was a door-to-door salesman for a time, selling cable TV to folks. It was somewhat different, as our pitch began with "I'm here to let you know our crews are coming out to do some work on your lines" (total bull so they think you're not selling anything) "and while they're here -- they're running a special! all we need is your SSN...." I quit that job before long, but read some Dale Carnegie in preparation and learned quite a bit.

IF YOU GO DOOR TO DOOR:

FIRST! RESEARCH THE 'HOWARD DEAN' COLLAPSE IN IOWA IN 2004!
    Dean supporters turned off some Iowa voters in 2004. Obviously, we should learn from their mistakes, and not repeat them. It may well be that the complaints were over-reported, but we can combat that type of thing. Just don't cram anything down people's throats. For the most part, this is a get in, hand a flyer, get out operation.

GOALS
    ====

1, NAME RECOGNITION

People need to know he exists. If they look into candidates, they will have him on his mind. MSM will not help here. So cram his name down their throats one time, give them literature, and be on with it.

2. FACETIME: EXPOSURE OF RON PAUL IN ACTION

You have far less chance to convince somebody RP is the man than he does himself. Direct them to youtube, direct them to ronpaullibrary.com -- let them decide for themselves. If they are able to think, they will vote for Ron Paul.

We are a street team. We cannot offer celebrity status, or political standing, to endorse Paul. All we can do is say that we support him, and that others should look into him.

DO NOT TRY TO CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT THEY SHOULD VOTE FOR HIM

just tell them the primaries are very important, they may have to register, etc, and that THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL.

Most people will not be convinced by your words. They very well may be affected by the simple knowledge that YOU support him. So make yourself likeable, friendly, and inform them he exists. Convince them to look him up, and make up their own minds. Accepting Ron's message comes from hearing Ron, not from hearing you.

3. GET HIM IN THE MAINSTREAM: HE'S NOT A 'FRINGE' CANDIDATE

Just by getting out there and telling people -- 1 time -- that you support Ron Paul -- gets this message out. People by and large are not very independent thinkers. Most will not support someone who will put them on the 'fringe' among those they talk to. But the more they hear people support him, the more comfortable they will be in considering it for themselves.

MOST IMPORTANT TO YOUR INTERACTION
    ============================

1. Sincerity
    Eye contact, value the individual, SINCERE compliments help, "beautiful flowers" -- but only if you really think they are beautiful -- people know the difference. LISTEN more than you speak, you should even 'listen' while you are speaking.

2. Simplicity
    Too much convincing, and people start resisting. The vast majority of people will only be convinced by Ron Paul himself, on their own time. Convince them to look into him, not to vote for him.

3. Efficiency
    Spend your time wisely. Don't fight uphill battles with people who are argumentative or say they want to Nuke Iran, for instance. Diffuse the ticking time-bomb. "I can respect that. Ron Paul thinks differently, but I recommend you at least see what else he believes. Thanks! Bye!"

If someone gets heated, LOOK INTO THEIR EYES AND IMMEDIATELY APOLOGIZE, NO MATTER WHAT YOU OR THEY HAVE DONE. You are on their property. Apologize and get off of it.

If you pay attention, you can often find out in the first 15 seconds what type of experience it's going to be. Be careful to pre-judge, but look for signs of problems that pop up early.

4. Effectiveness
    Use materials that provide the opportunity for folks to find out the bulk of the message. Use something with an outline of issues. If it's in their hands, they may read it all, just about no matter how long it is. But they might not sit down at the computer and type in "all that dubya dubya crap" to get the same information.

With those that are very supportive, spend a bit of extra time. Balance it, of course, but a couple of minutes could mean the difference between a voter and a contributor/meetup supporter. Give extra information when you need to. WRITE IT DOWN WITH YOUR OWN PEN and it's personally recommended.

Hopefully DVD's will be available, otherwise, here is a good CD:

http://www.srchost.com/ronpaul/viewtopic.php?t=124

You need your own label at this point, as far as I know. I suggest you at least write, "Ronpaul2008.com -- pass it on"

5. Consistency
    Use a consistent opening line, attention grabber, or pitch. Reasons:
    You get better at it the more you use it.
    When you find a good one, you just repeat the process.

6. Be knowledgable
    If you can't answer the common questions people have about issues, and especially some of RP's bad 'sounding' ones (" He's against the PATRIOT act? No AMNESTY? Those sound good...") this probably isn't a job for you. It's too important to be able to outline at least the basics to those receptive enough to ask questions.

I think that I would often use:
    "Well, the Constitution says that should be left up to the states. Ron Paul just wants to get the federal government out of it -- so ya'all in Iowa are free to solve it as you please."

THE PITCH
    =======
    What you say and how you say it is VITAL.

There MUST be a consistent, simple approach, and it must be respectful, and you must present yourself well.

Within those guidelines, anything works that:
    1. Shows them you are sincere.
    2. Gets them to look at the flyer as more than something they will have to throw away.
    3. Gets them to realize he's not just the politician that somebody picked this time, he's the only guy that's principled enough to deserve a citizen's vote.

Ron Paul indeed sells himself. The main obstacle to an individual realizing Paul's truth is their assumptions. You can design your opening 'pitch' statement to shatter one or more of these assumptions off the bat, otherwise they'll just tell you their assumption, like "yeah, but he can't win".

Say something that gets them totally out of their thought process. The longer you allow their preconceptions of you (scammer! con artist! salesman!) to remain in their heads, the stronger their resistance will be. The first words out of your mouth (possibly after a 'hello', but not necessarily) should shatter any assumption they have as to your intentions.

ASSUMPTIONS YOU'LL LIKELY FACE
    =======================

1. "All politicians are corrupt. (and I don't want to hear about another one.)"
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "I hate politics and politicians too. That's what turned me on to Ron Paul. He votes the way he says he will, and it's always in line with the Constitution. He abhors lobbyists and what they've done to our government, just like I do. At least check into this guy, he's more like a wise grandpa than a politician."

2. "Ron Paul has good ideas, but he can't win."
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "Well, I vote on principle, not who I think is going to win, but he does have a good chance. He took first or second in EVERY major debate poll, including first place in the CNN poll, who hosted the debate. The most recent straw poll by the Taxpayers union placed him in second, ahead of McCain & Giuliani. He's raised upwards of $5 million dollars based on his performance in debates only a few months ago, and, most importantly, he has many passionate people like me out on the streets."

3. "Our country will collapse if we take away these government programs"
    SHATTER THE ASSUMPTION: "Ron Paul's a college educated Economist, and knows exactly what these things do to our economy, and our society. He thinks they're unconstitutional, and bad for our country. And no one is saying that your state can't implement the program -- he just agrees with the Founding Fathers that it is not to be addressed by the federal government. It should be left to the states."

DON'T!

Introduce your personal views -- they are irrelevant! Leave them out of the conversation entirely. All that matters is to achieve our goals is to pass on Ron Paul's views.

There are a few minor issues that I'm not totally sure I agree with about Paul -- and there are bound to be some for you too. But he's definitely smarter and more knowledgeable than me, and chances are he's smarter than you too. His job is to research these things. Leave the expertise of explaining the issues to him. He's running for president, we're following his lead, spreading his message.

DON'T SAY:

Some of the things that feel most natural to say up front to someone can be detrimental.

"Do you guys want some reading material?"
    "You want a flyer?"

In a 'cold call' situation, if you give them an option to take the flyer, they will say no, almost every time, because the vast majority of people assume that when they are confronted by strangers in situations such as this are about to be 'conned' into something. Many, many people will greet you with skepticism.

And, although it could probably be handled properly, I don't even like:

"Have you heard of Ron Paul?"

Most commonly, at least at this point in the campaign, this question results in a 'no' answer, and creates an obstacle for you to overcome. Now, not only do you have to tell them WHO he is, but you have put them in a position to defend their not having heard of him. The easiest way for them to defend this: "He's a nobody." Now they have an incentive to convince themselves your message, and Ron's, is not important to them. Before you asked if they had ever heard of him, they didn't even know you were coming
    to talk about a person.

SOME IDEAS FOR YOUR PITCH:

In all situations that I have found -- Keep It Simple Stupid

What I have learned while passing out flyers on my own is that simple works best. I went through the trial and error period and made many mistakes -- the main one being I would TALK TOO MUCH. The simplest approach (and it works surprisingly well!) is to hold the flyer in front of them until they grab it, while saying nothing, or maybe just "Hi guys". Their instinct is to grab it. The longer you are silent, the more likely they are to grab it, if they haven't already. Then, in defense of a possible awkward silence, they start reading.

If I try to explain why they should grab the flyer from my hand, they are much more likely to defend themselves against my argument -- a simple 'no thanks' and they are out of the situation. The silent way, it is easier to grab the thing than to figure out something to say.

The foundation of this approach is that most know politicians are full of it, and most strangers who approach want something in return. That's why they resist.

There will be as many different approaches as people walking the streets, but they should all aim to achieve the goals and guidelines outlined above. Here are some suggestions. Note the intent to instantly shatter some of the common misconceptions/assumptions about Ron Paul/candidates in general.

"Hi, I don't know if you guys are into politics... (hold out flyer)
    I never was until I found this guy. (they look at the flyer)"

"He took first in the debate polls on MSNBC and CNN, and second in the latest straw poll by the Taxpayers union, ahead of McCain & Giuliani."

OR

"I've never been excited about a politician before -- but this guy is awesome."

OR

"I hate politics because I hate politicians -- but this guy is different"

OR

"You probably don't believe in the Constitution, but if you do, this is the guy"

QUESTIONS
    ========

Often they will just say "OK. Thanks." Leave em be! They're gonna look, but they want to do so alone. Other times they will ask questions back, and at this point it is VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.com
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com

if you can't answer these questions succinctly and accurately, you have reading to do:

What is RP's stance on:
    Abortion
    Gun Rights
    Church & State
    Christianity
    Foreign Policy
    State's Rights
    Health Care
    Taxes

& maybe most importantly,

How do you get rid of a bunch of federal programs and bring the troops home? Won't the country collapse?

Most of these people are prime for Paul's message -- but a small few just want to argue politics with you. Watch out. If you are lucky enough to get someone interested enough to ask questions like this, your answer may be the difference between them researching more, or deciding RP is no good -- so read up!

--------

At least half of the RP supporters I know were convinced through RP's speeches. Therefore, I believe the most effective campaigning strategy is to get RP videos to the people.

Ron Paul TV
    http://freeme.tv
    Ron Paul's YouTube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ronpaul2008dotcom
    Download and burn a CD to hand to people (doesn't even require internet for them to watch it)
    http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/

------------------

REMEMBER:

Kindle the fire, and let it burn on it's own. Don't try to stay with one person, tending their fire, while you could be starting others that blaze by themselves.

Our biggest obstacle is NAME RECOGNITION and for the fed up to realize he's NOT JUST ANOTHER POLITICIAN -- he's EXACTLY WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!

I really agree with Orat. Most people are terrified of change... whether they believe it or not. We live in a society which has become progressively more socialist. This trend has gone on for so long that most people have become comfortable with the status quo. Phrases like "end the IRS" just scares the daylights out of most of them. It appears that most people have never read the constitution... including many of the presidential candidates.

I think too many of the bullet points in the "slim jim" have a negative connotation and have the very real potential of scaring people. And, like Orat said, we don't want to have them walking away "thinking Ron is a loon".

I think the slim jims should be reworded to emphasize the positive aspects of the bullet points. Instead of saying "Stop... End... Oppose" less scary and affirmative phases should be used: For example:
    "End the IRS" might read "Lower Taxes and make the system Fair"
    "stop the central bankers' inflation tax" might read "Strengthen the Dollar at home and Abroad"
    "stop unconstitutional spending leading us to bankruptcy" might read "Secure personal financial freedom with responsible government"
    "stop the financial dependency on China..." might read "Strengthen our economy so we no longer need loans from China..."
    "oppose trade deals and groups that threaten American Independence" might read "Protect America from unfair Trade Deals which threaten our Independence"

Anyway... just some quick thoughts. The point is we can win more converts with honey... we don't want to scare off people who are stuck in their current thinking. We need to allow people to come to their own conclusions after hearing the facts. Converting people is a process. We should be wary of scaring them off at the beginning of the process.

Don't treat potential converts as idiots... the Matrix has them. Help them realize the truth so they can make their own decision to take the Red Pill. :-)
    Last edited by Tarzan; 11-07-2007 at 07:25 AM.

go mail box to mail box and tape a flyer on the outside of each mail box. Don't do it on the inside or you will get busted, but it's legal on the outside of the box.

this is one of the quickes ways to get to as many people as possible with Ron Paul..... getting a flyer inside someone's home is the best becasue they can see the web site on the flyer and type in ron paul and watch what he has to say and it's the most relaxed clear thinking place a person can be to make their decisions on this....

Thanks Jay, sent this out to the whole group! Well done, Patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreedom View Post
    I know, personally, that what got me on this train was hearing the passion and honestly in Dr.Paul's message. In 3 days, I have turned from "Edwards" democrat to a full blown, lay down and die supporter for the man I feel is the only man that can lead this nation out of it's gutter and put us back in a respectable light in the world.

In 3 days, I've helped found my local meetup for Ron Paul supporters, joined numerous sites, including this one to try and help get the word out about Dr.Paul's message. Tomorrow, I will be working the booth at a meetup in Raleigh, NC in support of Dr.Paul...call me fanatic if you wish. I think I am safe in assuming you all feel the exact same way or you wouldn't be here. I also think I am safe in saying that 99% of you came to this movement after HEARING and SEEING Dr.Paul's message.
    I am right there with you JohnnyFreedom!!! I think it's been four days now. I had seen ronpaul2008.com on the Internet and I even looked at his site briefly but it didn't make the impact like seeing him on a rerun of Face The Nation at 2am one morning. I started clapping and woke up my dog. When have I ever clapped at the television? Never. I was up until almost 6am that night watching Ron Paul Videos on YouTube - I had never watched a video on YouTube before then. I don't want to sound dramatic but I really feel that it's my duty as an American to get the word out.

I really like the CD/DVD idea because seeing him speak did it for me. Our mission needs to be that we make sure that every man and woman in this country see him speak at least once. If we can do that, he'll win.

If you are a young person it is easier to approach other young voters and get them involved. Here is a method I would suggest:

-knock on the door and greet them with a smile and handshake

-make sure you have good posture and a sincere smile

-dress something fairly neutral(no baggy pants, polo shirt, no jeans with holes in them)

"Hi! I'm [insert name] and I live just a couple blocks from here. I had some free time tonight and wanted to let my neighbors know about a candidate for president I had found out about."

pause a second for that to sink in

DON'T SKIP THIS NEXT PART! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT:

Then ask something like:

"What do you think about our government the way it is right now?"

-let them answer, more then likely they will speak their mind, listen and agree amiably

-let them know you felt the same way(this creates a sense of bonding) be genuine

Then ask,

"Have you heard about Ron Paul?"

usually the answer is no or maybe they've only heard a little about him

Then say,

"I found out about him on the internet because the major media wouldn't cover him."

Then maybe give them some literature and a DVD or have them check him out on the internet. If they are showing some sincere interest, then let them know about caucus/primary night and where it will be held at. Also, get their name and phone number so you can remind them a few days before the caucus/primaries.

Keep in mind that some people may be busy and not have time to talk and some people may have had a bad day. Just be polite and move on. However, with an introduction that shows you are a local neighbor, you will already set the stage for a positive exchange.

Slimjim Reworked for Tarzan

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    I think the slim jims should be reworded to emphasize the positive aspects of the bullet points. Instead of saying "Stop... End... Oppose" less scary and affirmative phases should be used: For example:
    "End the IRS" might read "Lower Taxes and make the system Fair"
    "stop the central bankers' inflation tax" might read "Strengthen the Dollar at home and Abroad"
    "stop unconstitutional spending leading us to bankruptcy" might read "Secure personal financial freedom with responsible government"
    "stop the financial dependency on China..." might read "Strengthen our economy so we no longer need loans from China..."
    "oppose trade deals and groups that threaten American Independence" might read "Protect America from unfair Trade Deals which threaten our Independence"
    Hey Tarzan, I reworked the slimjim for you to reflect the changes you requested. All you have to do is download the slimjim from http://www.ronpaul2008.com/uploads/pdf/74.pdf open it in Photoshop and then open the file that i'm giving you and replace the first page. Then you can print it. Here is the reworked page one.
    http://files-upload.com/files/664104/74-1.pdf

-Joe

Great Stuff... should be required reading

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Post Here's some more selling tips

Canvassing tips

I am not a professional canvasser.

I have been studying salesmanship and persuasion for the last year or so. As a Paul supporter I want to increase his chances of winning the upcoming primaries, so here are some suggestions for the Operation Front Door people.

R. Barrabas
    Landlord (at) Barrabas (dot) MV (dot) com

Overview

When canvassing you are essentially selling your candidate door-to-door. Techniques which help door-to-door sales will also help you while canvassing.

There's two types of selling: good and bad.

"Bad" selling is where the customer is talked into a decision they regret. An example would be a used car salesman, or an encyclopedia salesman. We don't want any of that. It would be impolite, ineffective, and fundamentally wrong.

Ineffective because once you leave, people will have a chance to think things over. You're trying to convince them to make a future decision (in the primary), so any negative reacion will result in a reversal of opinion. Bad selling only works when the customer makes a decision immediately.

"Good" selling is where the customer is confident they made the right decision. It only happens when the salesman has a high level of ethics, and both parties agree that the transaction is the right choice for the customer. The decision will last, and the customer will defend it if necessary.

Below is a list of suggestions for "good" selling which will increase the effectiveness of the canvassers. It's the distilled wisdom from lots of people who do sales for a living.

Think of it this way: it's a competition, and everything counts. All of the suggestions below add or enhance your chances of success by a small margin.

Suppose that 1000 people canvass 100 homes each. If the suggestions below increase credibility by one half of one percent, that's 500 extra votes for Ron Paul.

It's a competition, and everything counts.

Appearance

55 percent of your message is delivered by your appearance. This is not a made up statistic, it's a fact arrived at by study and analysis.

The first thing every canvasser should do is take some time to consider their appearance.

1) Dress up!

People will give you more esteem and credibility if you are well dressed.

Don't tell me whether it *should* be true or whether you think the voter should accept you for who you are or see through the facade or etc etc.

It's true, get over it.

Dress as you would to go to a job interview. Your best suit, button down shirt and tie. Leave the vest at home if you like. Wear an expensive looking watch if you have one. Have a monogrammed pen instead of a Bic. Think "up and coming executive", and dress accordingly.

The "job interview" metaphor works for women as well. You want the appearance of a confident businesswoman, someone who knows what they are doing. Someone whose advice is valuable. A little jewelry is OK, but avoid big, jangly or shiny stuff. Don't wear too much makeup; meaning, to the point where people can tell that you are wearing a lot of makeup. You want the sort of image that Hillary Clinton projects.

Remember - everything counts. Shine your belt buckle, wash your face, comb neatly... anything and everything you can do to make yourself look clean and presentable and respectable will increase the chances of getting your message across.

2) Facial hair

Men with facial hair are perceived as less trustworthy than those who are clean shaven, so be clean shaven if you can manage it.

If you really care about Paul and the message he sends, lose the goatees and mutton chops for a week and grow them back after.

3) Long hair

Similarly men with long hair are viewed as less trustworthy and less reliable as authority figures. Get a good haircut, one that would carry you through a job interview.

Remember, the goal here is to be awarded as much esteem as possible when you deliver your message. Shaggy hair or anything that remotely hints of "scruffy" will detract from that image.

If you absolutely positively will not cut your hair for any reason, then make certain that it is impeccably styled. Neatly combed, tied behind in a pigtail with not a single strand out of place. Not greasy shiny or dirty, either.

Tuck the pigtail under a hat if you can.

4) Hats

We give the greatest deference to the people we perceive as being the highest class. It's true, and I've personally done experiments to verify this. Present yourself as being the highest class possible.

Lose the baseball cap.

What I mean is, don't wear a hat for style. If you're in NH and the weather is cold, it's OK to wear the type of hat you'd normally wear outdoors in the cold, but don't do it for any other reason.

5) Earrings (for men)

Changing your appearance is done to either fit in or to get esteem. When canvassing, you are not intending to fit in, you are going for maximum credibility and esteem, and it's a sad fact that earrings in men detract from the esteem.

This is true even if you are canvassing a neighborhood where earrings are common, which is why I mentioned the point about fitting in. You don't want the appearance of being one of them, you want to be the person they trust and respect.

The point is, it doesn't matter what neighborhood you are canvassing. You want to be the image of a bank manger, whose opinion counts.

Lose the earrings for the day and put them back on when you get home.

Manner

35 percent of your message is delivered by your manner. This includes your speaking voice, tonality, body language, and so on.

Changes in mannerisms are tough and require practice, so I'm not going to say much about it.

Overall, the best advice is to be relaxed and comfortable. Just be yourself and talk freely and easily. You're here to make friends, and you've got friends already so you already know how to do it. The people you talk to will be polite and nice, so don't don't worry too much about being nervous. The nervousness will go away after the 5th door anyway.

1) Eye contact.

People who don't make proper eye contact are viewed with suspicion, and it's a very powerful form of suspicion.

This isn't a problem except for people who don't do it correctly. Usually this means nerds, geeks, disempowered people, meek women and the like. People who were picked on or who have an overbearing boss or something similar. They avoid conflict by averting their eyes when talking to people.

If you already look into people's eyes when you talk to them, skip to the next section.

Otherwise, make it a point of looking in people's eyes while you're talking to them. Practice this with other canvassers a bit before you start.

If you can break the habit, you'll get more respect in your daily life as well.

2) Interrupting.

People who interrupt are viewed as rude and impolite.

Usually this means fast thinking people - the ones who get the gist of what the talker is saying before they finish and cut them off to save time.

Try to hold back your response until the voter is done speaking. If they ask a question, pause a bit before replying.

If you can break this habit, people will view you as more friendly.

3) Confidence

People who are not confident in their answers are viewed as less knowledgeable.

Try to be completely familiar with talking points, even to the point of memorizing them, so that you can respond when people ask questions. If you seem unsure, if you have to look at your list, or if you stumble over your answers you will be viewed as hired help who doesn't really beleive in the cause.

4) Crowds

People are defensive when presented with several people. Try to have only one person go up to the door.

It's also more efficient. Take opposite sides of the street or leapfrog the houses as needed.

What to say

People operate in two modes: heuristic and systemic. Heuristic can be best described as being on autopilot. You do everything automatically, with little thought and only generalized goals and plans.

Systemic mode is where your conscious mind takes control and you actually think about what you're doing, what your goals and plans should be.

Heuristic mode is what most of the people are in, most of the time. A person will not make a decision or change opinions in heuristic mode, so to be effective you need to get them into systemic mode. Salesmen sometimes refer to this as "breaking preoccupation".

The best way to get someone into systemic mode is to ask a question, because they have to switch to systemic mode in order to answer. So for example, imagine saying this:

"Hi! I'm canvassing for Ron Paul" (holds out a brochure)

Most people will respond with "Sorry, not interested". They're in heuristic mode.

Now imagine the following:

"Can you vote for Ron Paul?" (holds out a brochure)

They have to switch to systemic mode to answer. If they haven't made their decision yet, their first inclination will be to glance at the brochure to find out more about Ron Paul in order to answer the question.

When they give you an answer it's an opening you can use to further sell them on the idea. You can tell them more about the positions, or hold up a laptop and show them a clip of Dr. Paul speaking, or deal with an objection (see below).

People appreciate brevity, so I recommend a short question that gets to the point and nudges them in the right direction. Engage in conversation if they encourage it, but plan on just the one question and handing out a brochure. Many people will just take the brochure, thank you, and close the door.

The impression will be that you didn't waste their time, you were polite, and made a very reasonable request.

Note: If anyone is interested, I can craft an actual sales pitch that people can use while canvassing.

Talking points

People aren't going to take the trouble to "google Ron Paul" or even read the pamphlet you've just handed them. No one will take the trouble.

Instead, they'll ask you questions about Ron Paul.

If they do that, rejoice! It means that they're coming to a decision right now, and if you can supply the information they need in a manner that they like, you'll have a convert.

All canvassers should have a list of "talking points" memorized so that they can handle this situation.

Basically, there are only about 10 issues which are relevant. Each canvasser should have a card (Brief! One page, one side) which lists all 10 points and has 1 to 3 lines of information about that point.

Example:

1) War in Iraq

a) Will pull out "as soon as possible"
    b) Will consult with military leaders for logistics
    c) Realistically, expects complete withdrawal in 4 to 6 months (from taking office)

2) Abortion

a) Makes a distinction between personal and political stance
    b) Personally opposes it
    c) Politically, feels the federal government shouldn't get involved,
    leave it up to individual states.

I recommend the organizers of "Operation Front Door" get together and hash out a talking list which can be published so that all canvassers can have a copy.

Dealing with objections

What you are doing is completely legal, so don't worry about people who gripe or insult or threaten what you do. Just thank them, wish them a nice day, and go on to the next house. Be respectful, and don't worry about threats to "call the police" or threats of violence.

Never contradict the voter. Contradiction is perceived as calling them stupid, and it'll only result in them digging in their heels and arguing with you.

1) "Feel", "Felt", "Found"

For general objections, you can use the "feel", "felt", "found" method. It works like this:

Sir, I know how you feel. Many other people felt the same way, but what they found is ...

This validates his objection (I know how you feel), assures him that he hasn't been stupid (other people felt that way), and encourages him to change without calling his decision into doubt.

For example:

"I'm not for Paul because he's anti-abortion"

"Sir, I know how you feel. Many other people felt the same way, but they found that state control over abortion would give them a bigger say in the issue. Dr. Paul wants you to have control at a more local level - the state level. Wouldn't you like more control of the issue?" (holds out a brochure for the voter)

If you can manage a set of stock answers, say 5 of them, memorized you can counter most arguments smoothly. The voter still may not change his mind, but this will give you your best shot at it.

I recommend that the Operation Front Door people come up with the top 5 or so objections that people may make, and craft responses using the formula above. Try to do the following:

a) End the response with a question. This gets them out of heuristic mode and into systemic mode.

b) Make sure the question demands a "yes" answer and the assent promotes supporting Ron Paul, as in the answer above.

2) Never say anything bad about another candidate.

It's unclassy, will reflect negatively on you, and it will have the opposite effect anyway.

If the voter brings up another candidate, it probably means that they're leaning that way. Say anything negative about the other candidate and you're contradicting the voter. In effect, you're saying that he's made a bad decision, a mistake. He'll defend and justify his decision, dig his heels in to the point where you won't be able to change his mind.

What you *want* to do is reassure him that he's made a good decision, then gently nudge him into making a *better* decision. Something like this:

"Well sir, Mr. X is a fine candidate. Many of us considered voting for him, but we now support Ron Paul. Would you like to know why?"

It's subtle, but it hits on a couple of key points. You haven't contradicted the customer's ego, so he won't feel the need to dig his heels in. You've pointed out that he's in the same boat as a lot of other people (his decision wasn't bad because lots of other people made it too), and if lots of other people have changed their minds, maybe he should also. You end with a question, which puts him into systemic mode and he's ready to make a new judgement.

3) The reverse close

As a last resort, you can try a "reverse close" to get people to change their minds. You say the exact opposite of what they are expecting, and then fill in the pause with something, anything that can justify it.

This is used as a last resort for a dismissal, the argument's over.

Let's use an example:

Voter: "Sorry, I'm voting for X" (goes to close the door)

You: "That's exactly why you should vote for Ron Paul"

Voter: "Who? What?"

You: "Sir, many of us used to support candidate X, but he supports the war in Iraq. Ron Paul is the only one who will end the war and bring our troops home. Wouldn't you like to see an end to the war?" (holds out brochure)

Once again we are ending with a question, one which fairly demands a "yes" answer, and that nudges the voter to our way of thinking.

Another example:

Voter: "I'm not interested" (goes to close the door)

You: "I know that - that's why I'm here"

You: "Sir, most of us were not interested initially. But when we looked into what Ron Paul stands for, we realized that he can make a difference. We could really use your help." (holds out brochure)

great advice...

I was looking for some direction on canvassing. These are great tips. Thanks for going into detail... I will be using this info.

3) The reverse close

As a last resort, you can try a "reverse close" to get people to change their minds. You say the exact opposite of what they are expecting, and then fill in the pause with something, anything that can justify it.

This is used as a last resort for a dismissal, the argument's over.

Let's use an example:

Voter: "Sorry, I'm voting for X" (goes to close the door)

You: "That's exactly why you should vote for Ron Paul"

You: "Sir, many of us used to support candidate X, but he supports the war in Iraq. Ron Paul is the only one who will end the war and bring our troops home. Wouldn't you like to see an end to the war?" (holds out brochure)

Once again we are ending with a question, one which fairly demands a "yes" answer, and that nudges the voter to our way of thinking.

Another example:

Voter: "I'm not interested" (goes to close the door)

You: "I know that - that's why I'm here"

You: "Sir, most of us were not interested initially. But when we looked into what Ron Paul stands for, we realized that he can make a difference. We could really use your help." (holds out brochure)
    cool
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Good reverse stuff there! lol
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Is it time to start canvassing again yet?