Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the death penalty?

donnie darko

What do you think of the death penalty?

Does the state have a right to take a life?

Also - what about personal/privatized revenge murder?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Opposed.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by donnie darko View Post
    The State has no rights at all.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Opposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    //
    //

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    //
    //

Nice theory, doesn't work in practice due to abuse by establishment and the often impossible task of truly discovering guilt.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When I was younger I was in favor of the dp. Now I oppose it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Always have, always will oppose it.

I am ok with the death penalty if I am the injured person who gets to exact revenge. Not OK with the government deciding who lives and who dies.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    //
    //

Death penalty for a mundane?...against.

Death penalty for a political traitor?....i'm open to discuss.

Opposed.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post

Um... nevermind.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Um... nevermind.
    //
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I am ok with the death penalty if I am the injured person who gets to exact revenge. Not OK with the government deciding who lives and who dies.
    So it's right for you to kill for revenge. But it's not right for others to kill in the name of revenge for you. Doesn't seem very consistent.

The effect is that someone is being killed for the sake of vengeance. What does it matter who does the killing if you've already conceded that the killing in the name of vengeance is righteous?

Also, what about equability? If you've only been injured, and apparently not injured enough to such an extent that you can't carry out the vengeance killing, why is it right for you to kill in retaliation?
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I cannot trust the government with this type of power. Abolish the government death penalty.

That's Ron Paul's position, BTW. I completely agree.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Opposed. Too much room for error, and too easy to abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Grey
    Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

For it, but with a very high standard of proof only.

Opposed to the death penalty. Of course, assuming there are still human mediators and jurors, if you kill someone who has wronged you, you are welcome to gamble your freedom on garnering enough sympathy to sway someone.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

any government that can legally kill you will never respect your rights

We ought to have a death penalty, but there is no human government on Earth that is not far too corrupted to administer it.

Not by the state or feds
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

100% for it in cases of first degree murder, certain types of rape (especially of a child), for abortionists, and for those who traffic in women and children.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Opposed - on both moralistic and pragmatic grounds.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The only place for Execution is during wartime for the crime of Treason. I'm not talking about our bull$#@! interventions, I mean a situation where we are attacked domestically such as Pearl Harbor. An American aiding the enemy under those conditions should be shot.

During peacetime I see no place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Opposed - on both moralistic and pragmatic grounds.
    //
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I am not for torture until a person confesses to mass murder just like the Jews did to the Nazis. Oh you were talking about the death penalty, my bad. What is worse, the death penalty or making a prisoner your slave for life? Most prisoners would choose death over that. I am for a reasonable punishment, if that happens to be death, so be it, though in most cases it is not reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by donnie darko View Post

Also - what about personal/privatized revenge murder?
    The state does not have a right to exist. In a private law society, victims of murder should have the option of a tooth for a tooth, plus another tooth.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/1970/01/m...how-to-punish/

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    100% for it in cases of first degree murder, certain types of rape (especially of a child), for abortionists, and for those who traffic in women and children.
    I think it should be decided on a case by case basis for first degree murder and rape. I agree with you on those that traffic in women and children and abortionists though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast