Thread: Rand Paul Can Win the Kids, Says Former Political Rival

Rand Paul Can Win the Kids, Says Former Political Rival

Rand Paul Can Win the Kids, Says Former Political Rival

By NIKKI SCHWAB
    October 9, 2013

When Trey Grayson thinks about the Republican politician most likely to captivate young people, he laughs.

"Sure, I love the irony of me answering this, but the first is Rand Paul," Grayson, the former Kentucky Secretary of State and current director of the Harvard Institute of Politics, said. "For those of you who don't know, I ran against him and did not win," Grayson told a crowd at the National Press Club Wednesday.

Grayson was Paul's Senate primary opponent back in 2010 and was considered the more mainstream Republican candidate of the two, having had Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's, R-Ky., blessing. Paul trounced Grayson, with 59 percent of the vote, compared to Grayson's 35 percent. "So that's me, it's OK," Grayson shrugged. "But going back to that campaign and continuing, [Paul] does a great job – some of it's issue based, the younger Republicans tend to be more libertarian and he tends to be a little bit more on the libertarian side of the party and he speaks to them on issues – but he also, I think, speaks to them."

Paul and Grayson were never buddies back in Kentucky, but since their Senate race they've exchanged pleasantries and Grayson has invited Paul to speak at Harvard.

read more:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...olitical-rival

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    That's nice but I'd much rather him win with older people who actually vote.
    Last edited by GregSarnowski; 10-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Oh man, he still wants to be senator? I guess Massie too will have to beat him...
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    Oh man, he still wants to be senator? I guess Massie too will have to beat him...
    Best post this year!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    He wants a government job so bad its disgusting.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by GregSarnowski View Post
    That's nice but I'd much rather him win with older people who actually vote.
    This. There are more of them. John McCain got them. Mitt Romney got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    He wants a government job so bad its disgusting.
    Trey would trip over himself running to be that idiot in government who sends out goons to barricade monuments.

Rand should definitely take him up on the Harvard invitation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"I'm a politician, or actually, I guess, a failed politician – I lost my last race pretty bad."

Thank God you are.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    read more:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...olitical-rivalPaul and Grayson were never buddies back in Kentucky, but since their Senate race they've exchanged pleasantries and Grayson has invited Paul to speak at Harvard.
    it's interesting that from rand's various speeches you get the idea that he actually doesn't see people that differently from ron--

they both have come to expect very little, as ron puts it, but rand has a much stronger stomach in that regard. it'd be interesting to hear what rand actually says at home when relaxed and given the opportunity to vent. for the media as well i'm sure
    Last edited by jtstellar; 10-10-2013 at 02:27 AM.

The kids won't flock to Rand if he keeps talking the way he has recently like telling a group of religious conservatives he doesn't want to end the war on drugs. Unfortunately if the kids find out he isn't as good as his father on issues they may not stay with him.

Quote Originally Posted by libertygold View Post
    The kids won't flock to Rand if he keeps talking the way he has recently like telling a group of religious conservatives he doesn't want to end the war on drugs. Unfortunately if the kids find out he isn't as good as his father on issues they may not stay with him.
    It looks like he's setting the stage for taking a states rights position on it in the general (same as Ron). That would be consistent with "not ending it" but also with getting rid of the mandatory sentencing imposed by the feds.

I honestly think, well or would like to believe that Rand is actually softening these people up a bit. And by doing so could be making some remember all the $#@! Ron said and now starting to see it come to pass which could make his opinions nowadays more relevant. Of course we won't know for sure until another republican not named Paul gets in the White House.. Republicans always play the part when a democrat is in charge, but boy you put a republican in charge and its like they reverse roles..

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    I honestly think, well or would like to believe that Rand is actually softening these people up a bit. And by doing so could be making some remember all the $#@! Ron said and now starting to see it come to pass which could make his opinions nowadays more relevant. Of course we won't know for sure until another republican not named Paul gets in the White House.. Republicans always play the part when a democrat is in charge, but boy you put a republican in charge and its like they reverse roles..

So true. Very wise words Rich. Just look at how Paul Ryan argued for stimulus from the floor of Congress when Bush was president. Paul Ryan seems like another fake who tries to get the attention and support of the liberty movement but doesn't really care deep down- he just likes the money and accolades. This is what has me so concerned about Ted Cruz since his background is so deeply tied to George W. Bush. I am worried Ted Cruz is using the liberty movement to steal the thunder away from real hero's like Ron Paul for the sake of his own advancement.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.