Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Ellis announces primary challenge against Justin Amash

Brian Ellis announces primary challenge against Justin Amash

GOP rival announces Justin Amash primary

By TAL KOPAN | 10/8/13 6:17 AM EDT

A businessman is challenging libertarian Rep. Justin Amash in the Republican primary for his Michigan House seat.

Brian Ellis announced the campaign on Tuesday, saying Amash “has turned his back on conservative principles.” Ellis’s campaign bio describes him as a “fiscal and social conservative Republican who embraces traditional values, limited government, and strong national security.”

Ellis, who founded an investment advisory firm, is reportedly well-funded by a group of state business leaders who want to see a more traditional Republican in the House.

At the end of July, Amash’s campaign had $164,000 cash on hand, according to FEC filings. In a late September appeal on his Facebook page, he asked supporters to donate by the quarterly fundraising deadline, saying he was behind his minimum and had “heard in the last few weeks that the Washington political class is scheming to take me out. If we don’t hit our minimum target, they will be emboldened to run a challenger against me.”

In his announcement, Ellis hit Amash on a number of votes in Congress, including twice voting “present” on a bill that would have defunded Planned Parenthood, also voting “present” instead of supporting the Keystone XL pipeline and voting against the House budget.

“I will advance conservative solutions by voting to balance the budget, reduce the tax burden, expand American energy sources, and defend the right to life and our Constitution,” Ellis said in a statement.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...use-97971.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    West Michigan businessman Brian Ellis announces run against Rep. Justin Amash

By Andrew Krietz
    October 08, 2013 at 8:55 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Local businessman Brian Ellis will vie for the Republican nomination to a congressional seat currently held by U.S. Rep. Justin Amash.

Ellis' candidacy, which was declared early Tuesday morning in a press release, pegs him against the sophomore congressman.

The announcement preempted a scheduled 10 a.m. press conference to formally state his candidacy.

Ellis is president of Brooktree Capital Management and a member of the East Grand Rapids Board of Education.

“Congressman Justin Amash has turned his back on our conservative principles by voting against the Paul Ryan Budget that would cut spending by $5 trillion, and against a 20 percent tax cut for small businesses,” Ellis said in a press release.

read more:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ian_ellis.html

Now is the time to dig for dirt before he hires people to clean up whatever is out there on the internet about him.

press release

Conservative Republican Brian Ellis Announces Candidacy for U.S. House

Congressman Amash Turned Back on Conservative Principles

Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) October 08, 2013

Conservative Republican Brian Ellis today announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District.

“Congressman Justin Amash has turned his back on our conservative principles by voting against the Paul Ryan Budget that would cut spending by $5 trillion, and against a 20% tax cut for small businesses,” Brian Ellis said. “Congressman Amash refused to vote in favor of the Keystone Pipeline and he even voted to allow our tax dollars to fund America’s largest abortion provider.” [See background references, below.]

“I will advance conservative solutions by voting to balance the budget, reduce the tax burden, expand American energy sources, and defend the right to life and our Constitution,” he added.

Brian is a lifelong resident of Kent County and he serves on a local school board, owns a business, and is actively involved in the community. Brian and his wife, JoAnn, are proud parents of three daughters. Today at 10 a.m., Brian will speak to supporters at Country Inn & Suites – Grand Rapids about his candidacy.

Background

Congressman Amash voted against the fiscal year 2014 House Republican Budget that cuts spending by $4.6 trillion over ten years. [Roll Call 88, 3-21-13]

Congressman Amash voted against the fiscal year 2013 House Republican Budget that cuts spending by $5.3 trillion over ten years. [Roll Call 151, 3-29-12]

Congressman Amash voted against the Small Business Tax Cut Act, which would cut taxes by 20% for small businesses. [Roll Call 177, 4-19-12]

Congressman Amash refused to vote in favor of the Keystone Pipeline, instead voting “present”. [Roll Call 179, 5-22-13]

Congressman Amash twice refused to vote in favor of preventing tax dollars from going to Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider, instead voting “present”. [Roll Call 93, 2-19-11; Roll Call 271, 4-14-11]
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11206375.htm

He was recruited by the establishment because of Amash's small-government votes.

The fact that he's pretending abortion has anything to do with it proves he's a snake. There's dirt on him. We need to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    He was recruited by the establishment because of Amash's small-government votes.

The fact that he's pretending abortion has anything to do with it proves he's a snake. There's dirt on him. We need to find it.
    Christian fundamentalists may be dumb enough to fall for this. But how many of them live in Michigan anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    Christian fundamentalists may be dumb enough to fall for this. But how many of them live in Michigan anyway?
    Grand Rapids? Are you serious?

I think Justin will be ok but we need to have his back round here

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post

Finding his political links might be the first step. If he can be painted early as an establishment hack it may help. I really am not familiar w/ Michigan politics so I don't know whether that would make a difference or not.

This is why the donations were important. If you can't fund raise, the establishment smells blood in the water.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

He'll be able to hold his own, especially after his leadership stance on his amendment regarding the NSA. Does mean he'll need some grassroots backing, but what incumbent doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    He'll be able to hold his own, especially after his leadership stance on his amendment regarding the NSA. Does mean he'll need some grassroots backing, but what incumbent doesn't?
    He needs $$$ more than anything in order to hold his own. No one else is going to back him apart from us so lets get organized

Ellis has been a school board chairman for 6 or 7 years in GR - and hasn't done much to make waves. Many people blame him for the continued decline in the local schools' performance.

He is an establishment shill with ties to the National GOP insiders.

His Brooktree Capital business seems like it's just advanced day-trading with other people's money.

He's out of touch with people that aren't well-connected businessmen.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    Ellis has been a school board chairman for 6 or 7 years in GR - and hasn't done much to make waves. Many people blame him for the continued decline in the local schools' performance.

He is an establishment shill with ties to the National GOP insiders.

His Brooktree Capital business seems like it's just advanced day-trading with other people's money.

He's out of touch with people that aren't well-connected businessmen.
    But he'll still make waves for challenging Amash because, for us, at least, it's seen as the establishment trying to kick out a liberty leaning Republican. Sounds like you're in Michigan, though. In your opinion, do you have an idea of what some people think of Amash?

Do we want to advertise this shill here?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    This is why the donations were important. If you can't fund raise, the establishment smells blood in the water.
    Anyone know how Amash did on the fund raising for last quarter? We had a thread on it...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In Ellis's time as the president of the school board East Grand Rapids has faced massive deficits. I can find articles from 2009-2013 addressing this issue. He certainly seems to be no fiscal conservative.

The East Grand Rapids School District is telling parents that tough times are ahead, if something isn't done.

On Monday, the district sent a letter to parents stating that it is in a difficult situation and the state of Michigan is to blame. It goes on to give parents information about "how they can help."

Mia Walker is a parent, homeowner, and a business owner. She is concerned about the district and believes the community needs to help. Walker says the great schools keep people coming to EGR. "I think it's what's kept our house values up and brings people here, especially as a parent. When you look to make an investment in a home, one of the first things you look at is the school district."

In the letter, the district says it developed a plan four years ago to bring the district to a balanced budget by 2014. It called for reducing costs, but the district is still facing a $1.5 million budget deficit.

WZZM wanted to ask the district what it was doing to be fiscally responsible and what cuts it has made over the past few years, but district officials wouldn't go on camera for an interview.

The letter does state that, over the past few years, the district has cut $3 million from the budget. According to the East Grand Rapids Schools Foundation, a group that's trying to raise money for the district, cuts could include administrative, eliminating a high school guidance position, or elementary art. Several fundraisers are being planned.

WZZM also checked with the Kent Intermediate School district and obtained a list of funding amounts for the various school districts in the area. Many of them, including East Grand Rapids, are getting less funding now than they did in 2005 and 2006.
    http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...budget-deficit

But he'll still make waves for challenging Amash because, for us, at least, it's seen as the establishment trying to kick out a liberty leaning Republican. Sounds like you're in Michigan, though. In your opinion, do you have an idea of what some people think of Amash?
    His district is in an entirely different world than where I am, so I have no idea how he fares with the bulk of voters there. I do know that DeVos (head of Amway, lots of community investment) is backing him, and he is the biggest businessman in Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Do we want to advertise this shill here?
    Do we want to ignore the competition?

New primary challenger to take on Rep. Justin Amash

By LINDSEY SMITH
    10:45 AM TUE OCTOBER 8, 2013

This morning, Grand Rapids businessman Brian Ellis told supporters he’s challenging Congressman Justin Amash (R-Grand Rapids) because Amash “has failed to advance a conservative agenda.”

“This race is about a district that expects and deserves to be represented by a true social and fiscal conservative” Ellis said.

It only took thirty seconds for Ellis to mention his rival.

“I’m standing here today because I have very different views from Justin Amash,” Ellis said.

It turns out Ellis and Amash have some similar views. They both are not fans of the new health care law, both think the federal government needs to get its spending under control, and they’re both pro-life.

But Ellis says Amash doesn’t vote like the principled conservative he claims to be.

“Well anybody can say, like Justin, that he’s conservative, but he has a voting record and it doesn’t line up,” Ellis explained to reporters after his announcement.

read more:
    http://michiganradio.org/post/new-pr...p-justin-amash

Brian's campaign website:

h ttp://ellis4congress.com/

and facebook:

h ttps://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress
    Last edited by jct74; 10-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Read a comment on Amash's Facebook page from someone- whose been commenting a lot today- that they're a Democrat, but they're voting for the other Republican for the sole reason that they want the 'terrorist/anarchist Justin Amash out of office.' Can't help but be perplexed at the fact that someone from the opposing party would rather vote for yet another Republican rather than look for someone in their own party, and only because they want the Republican they don't like out of office.

Mind-boggling, but not exactly new.

Read a comment on Amash's Facebook page from someone- whose been commenting a lot today- that they're a Democrat, but they're voting for the other Republican for the sole reason that they want the 'terrorist/anarchist Justin Amash out of office.' Can't help but be perplexed at the fact that someone from the opposing party would rather vote for yet another Republican rather than look for someone in their own party, and only because they want the Republican they don't like out of office.

Mind-boggling, but not exactly new.
    I'll never understand people who dislike Amash. even if you 100% disagree with him, he's the only congressman I know of who posts an explanation for most if not all of his votes, and will actually answer questions and comments on facebook. He's clearly doing all he can to be a true representative.

From my experience, I notice that many liberals are willing to give him credit for his work on fighting surveillance. Butt here remains a segment of true statists that believe any questioning of the government(especially a Democrat led government) is tantamount to treason. I'm sure they'd love to replace Amash with another Republican yes man who does not care one whit about individual liberty or privacy. They want to keep the fight black and white, not add in shades of gray.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I live in Amash's district but I don't have much of a social circle so I don't know how he's perceived and I'm not involved in politics, at all. I know that on the August congressional break he had big turnouts for town hall and constituent meetings with overwhelming public opposition to bombing Syria.

A challenge like this concerns me because we're talking Amway $$$$$ and that probably means Xe/Blackwater (Eric Prince) money, too, because Erik Prince's sister, Betsy DeVos (Amway wife) used to be head of the Michigan Republican party. So, we're talking about billionaires here. Of course, it was the Michigan GOP and it's chairman, Saul Anuzi, who kept Ron Paul out the Mackinac Conference, where these muckty mucks meet every summer. HOWEVER, Rand won their straw poll this year: http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....ential_st.html This makes me think it would be really beneficial if Rand started making some appearances here.

Anyway, a quick search turned up this lawsuit against Ellis (which he lost), though I have no idea where to locate what it was about: http://www.grcourt.org/reports/2012/civil_1112.html

012-GC-0001153 Asset Acceptance, LLC Brian Ellis 1610 Francis SE Grand Rapids MI 49507-2456 Plaintiff 1161.76 13-NOV-12

Asset Acceptance is a collection agency.

Here's something written by Ellis, trashing Amash's "present" vote on the Keystone Pipeline: http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-r...ash_shoul.html

BTW, that says Amash supports the pipeline - but the pipeline is an attack on private property. That's another subject, though.
    Last edited by susano; 10-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Anyone else notice that the likes on Amash's Facebook have steadily increased since this announcement? Whether that's from supporters, detractors who just want to monitor him, or whomever else, just something I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I didn't know this. As I said, I'm not involved in politics. It really surprises me, though. I wonder if any of these people are the ones behind Ellis, now. It mentions a VanAndel (the other Amway founder) and there is a huge VanAndel institute biomedical sciences place here. I noticed on Ellis' Linkedin that he was on a governor's steering committee on life sciences and technology. Somebody connected to local GOP goings on may know who the money alluded to is behind Ellis.

A couple of things, and maybe Matt Collins may be able to answer this one first, what are the chances that Rand Paul or RandPAC will be willing to endorse Amash's reelection and promote this primary battle to help him? The same question applies to Cruz, Lee, and perhaps others like Palin and Gingrich, who have supported Rand/Cruz/Lee. A mass e-mail by those people would help immensely in fundraising. Second, how does the primary work in Michigan? Can democrats vote against Amash in the primary to see this yahoo get the nomination only to vote for the democrat in the general? Or is there a party registration that prohibits cross voting? Third, if Amash does fail to receive the nomination, will he have the opportunity to run as the nominee of the Libertarian Party or are there sore-loser laws that would prevent him? And finally, if Amash loses the nomination and can't run as a third party candidate, will his supporters vote for the Democrat to prove a point?

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    Second, how does the primary work in Michigan? Can democrats vote against Amash in the primary to see this yahoo get the nomination only to vote for the democrat in the general? Or is there a party registration that prohibits cross voting?
    Michigan has a "closed primary", but for all intents and purposes, it's an open primary. You just pick a Democrat or Republican ballot at your voting location so you can't cross-vote. You don't have to register beforehand.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast