View Poll Results: Are you in favor of abolishing the police?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 71.57%
  • No

29 28.43%
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you in favor of abolishing the police?

Are you in favor of abolishing the police?

I'm just posting this poll because I've had a lot of debates with people here who support abolishing the police, and those debates are always fun and interesting. I just thought it would be interesting to see what percentage of people here think we should do away with the police. If anyone hasn't noticed, I like polls. If people don't like this thread and hate these kind of polls, I apologize. Like I said, I just like polls.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see a poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I'm guessing the results will be about 60% in favor of abolishing the police and 40% opposed. We'll see how accurate that prediction ends up being.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I don't see a poll.
    It should be there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I'm guessing the results will be about 60% in favor of abolishing the police and 40% opposed. We'll see how accurate that prediction ends up being.
    National or local? There is a big difference between national or state police and a small town force who needs to be polite to the residents in order to secure funding via millage. Many small town departments are hesitant to even give out speeding tickets to locals for that reason.

It should be there now.
    Indeed, 'tis, thanks. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    National or local? There is a big difference between national or state police and a small town force who needs to be polite to the residents in order to secure funding via millage. Many small town departments are hesitant to even give out speeding tickets to locals for that reason.
    Both. My question is asking whether you support abolishing all government police.

I assume by "Police" you mean a state-run monopoly organization, and are not necessarily referring to competing police agencies like Rothbard supported, voluntarily hired peace officers/neighborhood watchmen, or other free market solutions like that. In that case, I'd answer "Yes."

I personally don't find the anarchy/minarchy debate to be the most useful though. I'd take one Ron Paul or George Washington over a thousand Stephan Molineuxes. I think its much more important that you view Leviathan States as being fundamentally evil (rather than merely misguided) than it is that you necessarily embrace every single jot an tittle of anarcho-capitalism.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Both. My question is asking whether you support abolishing all government police.
    I'd still say yes, with the caveat that the National Government should not be abolishing the local police.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I assume by "Police" you mean a state-run monopoly organization, and are not necessarily referring to competing police agencies like Rothbard supported, voluntarily hired peace officers/neighborhood watchmen, or other free market solutions like that. In that case, I'd answer "Yes."

I personally don't find the anarchy/minarchy debate to be the most useful though. I'd take one Ron Paul or George Washington over a thousand Stephan Molineuxes. I think its much more important that you view Leviathan States as being fundamentally evil (rather than merely misguided) than it is that you necessarily embrace every single jot an tittle of anarcho-capitalism.
    No, he clarified. Apparently a yes vote means any type of police force.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I'd still say yes, with the caveat that the National Government should not be abolishing the local police.
    Of course. I'm just asking whether you think that government police should exist at any level.

Does abolishing just mean voluntarizing?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. It just means that the government police shouldn't exist at any level, that there should be no funding for any government police force at any level.

I think he is just trying to prove that RPF is full of crazy anarchists.

I am all for abolishing the standing army our founders warned us about.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I voted no based on the assumption that the sole role for government is to protect liberties (and this includes the court system)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Of course. I'm just asking whether you think that government police should exist at any level.
    No, they shouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I am all for abolishing the standing army our founders warned us about.
    I am as well, but local forces can be controlled if they are accountable to a small number of people. When federal or state funds start flowing their way, though, we are all in trouble. I'd like to abolish all forces that receive federal or state funds.
    Last edited by dinosaur; 10-07-2013 at 06:18 PM.

I'm not sure what you mean. It just means that the government police shouldn't exist at any level, that there should be no funding for any government police force at any level.
    So in order to make sure that there are no police the state would have to ban them. But then how would they enforce the ban on police if people tried to hire police anyway?

ETA: If abolish means "ban," then no I don't support it. If abolish just means voluntarize, then yes I do support it.
    Last edited by erowe1; 10-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Poll Needs More Options

I really can't answer your question because I am both for and against abolishing police. It just depends on what level of government that police has jurisdiction over. For national police, yes, I am for abolishing it. For local/state police, I am against abolishing it. Police are useful because I can't guard my home and possessions all day while I am away at work. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with deputizing law enforcement, on a local or state level, with the task of maintaining order and upholding laws that protect life and property. The police should not have a "monopoly" on protection services, but still, they can serve and protect in the public's trust.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

I think he is just trying to prove that RPF is full of crazy anarchists.
    Well, it's just one way of trying to see what the anarchist/minarchist divide is here on these forums. Although there are some people who support abolishing the police who say they aren't anarchists, such as Pcosmar. I'm not trying to bash anarchists in this thread, but just get a better idea of what the anarchist/minarchist divide is here on these forums. It's just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I really can't answer your question because I am both for and against abolishing police. It just depends on what level of government that police has jurisdiction over. For national police, yes, I am for abolishing it. For local/state police, I am against abolishing it. Police are useful because I can't guard my home and possessions all day while I am away at work. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with deputizing law enforcement, on a local or state level, with the task of maintaining order and upholding laws that protect life and property. The police should not have a "monopoly" on protection services, but still, they can serve and protect in the public's trust.
    Then you should answer "no," because I clarified that I was referring to government police at all levels; federal, state, and local. If you think the government police should exist at the state and local levels, then you should answer "no."

Well, it's just one way of trying to see what the anarchist/minarchist divide is here on these forums. Although there are some people who support abolishing the police who say they aren't anarchists, such as Pcosmar. I'm not trying to bash anarchists in this thread, but just get a better idea of what the anarchist/minarchist divide is here on these forums. It's just for fun.
    There are also some people who are ancaps but just refuse to use the term for some reason, like erowe1

There are also some people here who aren't anarchists or minarchists.

So in order to make sure that there are no police the state would have to ban them. But then how would they enforce the ban on police if people tried to hire police anyway?
    Then change the wording of my question to, "should there be any government funding of the government police at any level of government?"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Then change the wording of my question to, "should there be any government funding of the government police at any level of government?"
    I'd still say yes there should, as long as it's only voluntary.

Having no government funding of police at any level would be how the police would be "abolished."

I'd still say yes there should, as long as it's only voluntary.
    You mean there should be government police as long as people donate their own money to the government to fund it, rather than forcing them to fund it through taxes?

Having no government funding of police at any level would be how the police would be "abolished."
    I would say that if anybody is funding any police by any means whatsoever, that would count as "government funding."

But how would you abolish it without banning people from funding police? And how would you enforce a ban like that if you did ban it?

I am as well, but local forces can be controlled if they are accountable to a small number of people. When federal or state funds start flowing their way, though, we are all in trouble. I'd like to abolish all forces that receive federal or state funds.
    Then allow the Constitutional Sheriff and deputies in each state. No Federal funds for militarizing police to circumvent the1878 Posse Comitatus Act.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

You mean there should be government police as long as people donate their own money to the government to fund it, rather than forcing them to fund it through taxes?
    The term "government police" seems redundant to me. But yes, whatever police there are should never be funded with any kind of involuntary tax.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast