Thread: Switzerland to vote on $2,800 monthly 'basic income' for adults

Switzerland to vote on $2,800 monthly 'basic income' for adults

More than 100,000 residents in Switzerland have signed a petition demanding that the government ensure a minimum monthly income of nearly $2,800 (2,500 Swiss francs) for all adults in the country.

The 120,000 signatures are enough to formally call a vote in the government over whether or not to approve the “CHF 2,500 monthly for everyone" (Grundeinkommen)” funding proposal.

For comparison, the average U.S. worker earned $3,769 in pre-tax, monthly salary in 2011. Food service industry workers earned $1,785 in pre-tax income during the same period.

MSN reports that in a public display of support, advocates tipped over a truck full of 8 million five-cent coins in front of the Swiss capital on Friday, one coin for each of the country’s citizens.

A formal date has yet to be set for the vote but it could come as early as this year, pending guidance from Swiss government.

Funding for the proposed measure would come out of the Swiss social insurance system, which already guarantees universal health care coverage for its citizens, along with other benefits designed to uphold the country’s social safety net.

Because of the relatively low threshold for forcing votes on referendum driven issues, Switzerland typically votes on several public measures each year.

For example, on November 24th, the country will vote on a separate measure that would limit executive pay to the same amount paid to a company’s lowest paid staff member.

The so-called 1:12 initiative has received support from the Swiss government’s Social Democrat bloc.

At least one of Switzerland’s biggest CEO’s has said if the measure passes, he would consider moving his company out of the country .

“I can’t believe that Switzerland would cause such great harm to its economy,” Glencore CEO Ivan Glasenberg told the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation. “And I say that not just as the head of a company, but as a Swiss citizen.”
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...181937885.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A world wide sickness.

I bet if each individual had an account set up where their share of their profits from things like the sale of natural resources could be deposited we might be doing better than that.

Alaska decided to spit up some of the profits when they all decided whether to drill or not, I'm thinking. They call it Alaska's Permanent Fund.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund

Gaze upon the list down below for each years payout...for each family member!

And that is just for the oil.

We really need a reset of the way profits are distributed. There used to be a general rule about splitting profits. If one person backs the operation with equipment and operating expenses and another provides the labor it should work out around a fifty-fifty split.

Oh that says a month!
    Pack my bags! I've gone over to the other side.

We should run these campaigns globally! If you can't beat them, join them.

Maybe a good dose of tax increases to pay for it, right there in the eye, might bring this crap to an end.

According to Google 2800 Swiss Franc equals
    3087.10 US Dollar

I'll bet it would take around $9,000.00 in taxes collected in order to get $3,000.00 funneled back down.

Last edited by MRK; 11-01-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddee View Post
    $8 to $10 for the beer.

Although there are not many Obama voters here (He's gonna pay all my billz!!), there are a bunch of bleeding heart people with "wealth guilt". "Wealth Guilt" usually afflicts the same bleeding heart people who vote every couple of years to eliminate the militia, the guns, the bank secrecy, etc etc. Left wing mentality is a mental disorder and it is worldwide.
    That's it - it will become one of those things that has to get voted down every two years. No place is immune from some degree of stupid.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.