Thread: Auto Sales Cross 16 Million Annually

Auto Sales Cross 16 Million Annually

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9830JJ20130904

Vehicle sales increased 17 percent in August, and the annual sales rate in the month finished at 16.1 million vehicles. That sales pace topped analysts' expectations of 15.8 million and marked the strongest month since October 2007, before the start of the 2008-2009 recession.

Sales easily surpassed expectations as consumers, after years of putting off purchases of new cars, took advantage of still-low interest rates and snapped up a wide range of vehicles from pickup trucks to luxury sedans.
    Bears be damned. Good times are back.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Woohoo! If everyone will just keep buying cars, Michigan will be saved!! You really can't have too many cars.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

The Mrs wants me to buy her a new motorcycle, I told her if she behaved, I may get her a new charcoal smoker instead .

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Woohoo! If everyone will just keep buying cars, Michigan will be saved!! You really can't have too many cars.
    We have two '04's , lol

Average age of car on the road has risen to over eleven years compared to the formerly more common about nine so people have been putting off buying cars. They seem to be feeling more comfortably finally replacing what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Average age of car on the road has risen to over eleven years compared to the formerly more common about nine so people have been putting off buying cars. They seem to be feeling more comfortably finally replacing what they have.
    Now with convenient 8 year financing plans!
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Arklatex

wellsa, artifically low interest rates creates debt purchases of houses and vehicles

is it organic growth? dunno, how many of those people paid for the car in real wealth. Consumer durable in general are down year over year aren't they?

I don't think the economy can be killed, but we will suffer from the "come down" of all the stimulus heroin stimulus and steroids

People in general are in too much debt and will have a lower quality of life until we get healthy

How many autos/vehicles purchased by GOVERNMENT? b/c all I see is brand new vehicles at every level of government.

The newest vehicle on my avenue is probably 3-4 years old, that's out of about a hundred vehicles.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Now with convenient 8 year financing plans!
    Really?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If the OP has been listening to Ron Paul for over 6 years and still doesn't comprehend the concept, not sure if they ever will.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Really?
    Sure, if you're dumb enough to chain yourself to one.

http://www.keystoneautoloans.com/art...th-auto-loans/

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

GM Vehicle Sales Collapse 11%

by Tyler Durden on 10/01/2013 10:13 -0400

Just a month ago, we were exuberantly told that the 14.7% rise in August sales for GM (against an expectation of an 11% rise) was not just great news but was entirely sustainable. Some suggested that this was merely demand dragged forward as rates rose, dealers channels were stuffed, and the vinegar strokes of an exuberant Fed were occurring. Today we have our answer...

• GM U.S. SEPT. VEHICLE SALES FALL 11%, EST. DOWN 4.2%
    • Inventory up to 82 days from 64 days!! (Surge to 670,191 units from 628,644 prior)

We are sure that weather played a role; the calendar didn't help; government (Republicans) are probably at fault somehow; and it's a 'blip' but it seems like quite a miss for a "sustainable" new normal in auto sales.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...es-collapse-11

Glad the feds sold more of their GM stock a few days ago.
    Rand Paul 2016

• Inventory up to 82 days from 64 days!! (Surge to 670,191 units from 628,644 prior)

That's a full quarters worth of stock - lol.

"Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jordan and Zippy are on unpaid leave today. Expect a reply when the cash starts flowing again.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Jordan and Zippy are on unpaid leave today. Expect a reply when the cash starts flowing again.
    No, the ZH info is just wrong.

Wards Auto shows GM inventory of 73 days, the highest of all automakers, and it's only ~1 day more inventory than the same time last year. Also, September had only 28 selling days, which obviously deflates sales relative to prior periods.

Keep trying, guys! You've almost convinced me doomsday is here.
    Last edited by Jordan; 10-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Wheeee!

We're all doing well now!

Rainbows-n-lollipops.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The Mrs wants me to buy her a new motorcycle, I told her if she behaved, I may get her a new charcoal smoker instead .
    XD
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

RPF: Calling 50 of the last 1 recessions. 0 for 10 million on hyperinflation, negative GDP growth, silver to $100, gold to $5,000, and S&P500 to 300.

Have you bought a nice new car Jordan?

Saw the sales reports from a local dealership.

Many of the current buyers are doing 100% financing for 72 MONTHS!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    Saw the sales reports from a local dealership.

Many of the current buyers are doing 100% financing for 72 MONTHS!
    That is how they sell them where I am.Low risk really, people do not default unless they lose the job.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Have you bought a nice new car Jordan?
    Nope. My car is only about 11 years old with ~120k miles, I think. Other than a few costly repairs earlier this year, I've been pretty happy with my beater. You can bet that when it bites the dust I'll be the first in line to buy a brand new compact Toyota/Ford to drive for the next 20 years. I don't drive much, and new cars built today will last for a very, very long time.

I'll buy a new one when it's necessary. Brand new base model Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla, probably. I'm a cheapskate like that.
    Last edited by Jordan; 10-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Nope. My car is only about 11 years old with ~120k miles, I think. Other than a few costly repairs earlier this year, I've been pretty happy with my beater. You can bet that when it bites the dust I'll be the first in line to buy a brand new compact Toyota/Ford to drive for the next 20 years. I don't drive much, and new cars built today will last for a very, very long time.

I'll buy a new one when it's necessary. Base model and brand new. I'm a cheapskate like that.
    CHeapskates don't usually buy brand new cars....

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    CHeapskates don't usually buy brand new cars....
    Depends on how you look at it. Run the numbers. Include things like the risk that some idiot drove your new-to-you used car for 50k miles without a drop of oil, or that you don't get a warranty. And be sure to compare apples to apples. Brand new base model to used base model.

One final thing: I'm not a car person. I don't do my own maintenance, and I value my free time. So, I'm not going to buy a car just to be a part-time personal car mechanic as a way to "save money." That's buying a job, not saving money. Totally different, but too many people assume that you can "save money" by buying a piece of junk and magically acquiring mechanical skills. I have no desire to learn how to work on a car, and doing so would be (very inefficient) work, not something I do for pleasure.

Great - pull all support for the auto industry since they don't need it anymore. They can also pay us back every dime they took.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Great - pull all support for the auto industry since they don't need it anymore. They can also pay us back every dime they took.
    Govt motors, oh yeah.Pfft.

RPF: Calling 50 of the last 1 recessions. 0 for 10 million on hyperinflation, negative GDP growth, silver to $100, gold to $5,000, and S&P500 to 300.
    It is a strange world , Dow , 14998 , Silver $21.73 , Gold $1316 , Platinum $1369 , Corn $4.42 , Copper $3.31 , Brent Crude $109.19 , one yr oil forecast $119, S & P 1677. That S & P looks inflated to me