Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From HuffPo: Rand Paul says he favors clean CR for a week or two...

From HuffPo: Rand Paul says he favors clean CR for a week or two...

I like the words "clean CR". I don't like that he thinks negotiation on Obamacare is still possible.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is terrible if it's true. I guess Rand thinks that moderate Republicans are going to be his base in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    I like the words "clean CR". I don't like that he thinks negotiation on Obamacare is still possible.
    I don't like that he still thinks negotiation with terrorists Democrats is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    This is terrible if it's true. I guess Rand thinks that moderate Republicans are going to be his base in 2016.
    I am disappoint.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

This is a perfect issue to look "reasonable" on. People like Rupert Murdoch have taken notice of what Rand is doing. This is hardly a big compromise but it is perceived that way be the donor class. The stock market has been down 7 of the last 8 days during this.

Rand's problem is not that he is too far to the right. In 2016, being too close the center is the least of his problems. This is great calculated move, where there is some short term downside, but much more long term upside.

This is just one more thing that the free republic crowd is going to hammer him for. I guess Rand is giving up on winning over the really hardcore conservatives.

All right, folks, I know, as members of a forum, we have plenty to say, but do we seriously need to scrutinize, criticize and analyze every other comment Paul makes, with at least one person, in some way, shape or form, going 'Well, he's done for now. He's alienated [insert group] and killed his chances at 2016!'

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    It's not unless a couple senators and Obama switch parties.

He's thinking ahead to the general election. Also in case you missed it, Republicans labeled moderates won the last two primaries. He doesn't have to BE a moderate, just avoid being labeled an extremist.

Why should he tie himself to an issue that is not possible to win now? If the GOP was smart they would shut up, play their cards right, take the Senate and presidency and do what they want. I'm so tired of hearing how if we don't end this law right now we never can. Any law can be repealed at any time, you just need to be in power.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is just one more thing that the free republic crowd is going to hammer him for.
    If FreeRepublic.com was relevant, Fred Thompson or Duncan Hunter would have won in 2008, and Palin or really anyone other than Romney in 2012.

It's just a small group of perpetually-angry older people, whose narrow brand of conservatism is simply not that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It's not unless a couple senators and Obama switch parties.

He's thinking ahead to the general election. Also in case you missed it, Republicans labeled moderates won the last two primaries. He doesn't have to BE a moderate, just avoid being labeled an extremist.

Why should he tie himself to an issue that is not possible to win now? If the GOP was smart they would shut up, play their cards right, take the Senate and presidency and do what they want. I'm so tired of hearing how if we don't end this law right now we never can. Any law can be repealed at any time, you just need to be in power.
    Just like Medicare and Social Security?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    If FreeRepublic.com was relevant, Fred Thompson or Duncan Hunter would have won in 2008, and Palin or really anyone other than Romney in 2012.

It's just a small group of perpetually-angry older people, whose narrow brand of conservatism is simply not that popular.
    1+1+1+1+1+1 - (1+1+1+1) + 0+0+0+0 = 2

base - disenfranchised + stayhome = ?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 09-30-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

I'm not exactly sure what favoring a 'clean' CR means really, some are saying it means hes for funding the ACA, but I feel like thats probably misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Just like Medicare and Social Security?
    Sure, but not instantly. Just stop adding anyone new and let it die while paying out to those who paid in.

I didn't see any quotes from Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post

I hope you're right. It kind of has me worried though.

god why can't republicans just accept the law is the law! you don't see people trying to overturn gay marriage bans!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I refuse to believe that tactical arguments of this kind are going to be a dealbreaker for anyone in two years' time. If they are, the "True Conservative" crowd is even more dim than I give them credit for.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiRandKenobi View Post
    god why can't republicans just accept the law is the law! you don't see people trying to overturn gay marriage bans!
    Yup, and why won't the Republicans respect the elections. We're a democracy! The people have spoken, they re-elected Obama. Why can't the Republicans just blindly follow him? We never saw the Democrats oppose Bush, see they respect democracy...

<in case it wasn't blatantly obvious that was sarcasm>

No, independents are going to be his base in 2016, both in the primary and general. Which is excellent since those are the voters that determine elections.

a grand bargain for liberty? by Ron Paul As I write this, it appears that the federal government is about to shut down because the House and Senate cannot agree on whether to add language defunding or delaying Obamacare to the “Continuing Resolution”. Despite all the hand-wringing heard in DC, a short-term government shut down (which doesn’t actually shut down the government) will not cause the country to collapse. And the American people would benefit if Obamacare was defeated or even delayed.
    Obamacare saddles the American health care system with new spending and mandates which will raise the price and lower the quality of health care. Denying funds to this program may give Congress time to replace this bill with free-market reforms that put patients and physicians back in charge of health care. Defunding the bill before it becomes implemented can spare the American people from falling under the worst effects of this law:
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...r-liberty.aspx

I seem to recall that the Democrats didn't have any issues when the Executive branch just decided to push back portions of the law with no vote what so ever.... SCOTUS said it was constitutional. They never said it was mandatory. And they certainly never said the President doesn't have to enforce laws he does not like.

This is just one more thing that the free republic crowd is going to hammer him for. I guess Rand is giving up on winning over the really hardcore conservatives.
    I think he is very content with letting Cruz be "The" Tea Party candidate if he runs. If not, Rand will inherit his supporters by default. If he does run, he might hurt Rand in Iowa and South Carolina, but he should be dropping out of the race soon after that.

Movement candidates don't usually get elected. They can shake things up, cause someone else to lose, move the platform in their direction on key issues, but they don't win. Rand understands that. He is a master at balancing that act. He has to piss one group off a little to appeal to another, but a week later he will come back with a bone for that group he just pissed off.

Because of the MSM and their parrots, Tea Party has become pejorative. It's often accompanied by adjectives like crazy, cooky, extremist, etc. Rand just watched them paint his father into that corner for eight years, he won't let it happen to him.

Let the man work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    All right, folks, I know, as members of a forum, we have plenty to say, but do we seriously need to scrutinize, criticize and analyze every other comment Paul makes, with at least one person, in some way, shape or form, going 'Well, he's done for now. He's alienated [insert group] and killed his chances at 2016!'
    Seriously. I thought Rand Paul's chances in 2016 were permanently destroyed by voting to confirm Hagel?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    maybe he thinks democrats are putting too much face in obamacare?

an one to two week extension gives him a minor degree of confidence to break the partisan hold? not sure what he's planning here. two weeks is still within a reasonable number. bottom line is you can't let obamacare kick into effect and take on its own welfare constituents, is the main point. i think the main issue he was posting was that although cruz' filibuster was good and necessary, the process left no time for some democrats to reconsider their positions.

if they are given a period of 1 or 2 weeks there will be very few excuses,

and that short period still doesn't change the grand scheme of things. you start everything from the basis that rand is out to steal your wallet, there will be very few places where your paranoia doesn't get you. i like how people want us to vote libertarian party so bad they're willing to patrol liberal sites all day for materials to attack rand paul, discovered from a liberal perspective. where else do you find such abundance of materials. if LP people are willing to take liberals' points just to make their own, i guess ends do justify the means after all. is their hypocrisy detector worn out from overuse yet
    Last edited by jtstellar; 09-30-2013 at 10:26 PM.

What leg do we have to stand on? We can pound the table all we want, but it won't get us anywhere. Compromise is the best we can do, at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
    maybe he thinks democrats are putting too much face in obamacare?

an one to two week extension gives him a minor degree of confidence to break the partisan hold? not sure what he's planning here. two weeks is still within a reasonable number. bottom line is you can't let obamacare kick into effect and take on its own welfare constituents, is the main point
    If the Democrats and Obama have to deal with this again next week, and then a few weeks later, and a few weeks after that, we'll be able to nibble away at the debt and stupid spending, and we'll force them to expend a ton of political capital to keep whatever funding remains.

Oh please. Who do you think is going to run for President that is more hardcore than Rand Paul? Answer: NO ONE.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Yup, and why won't the Republicans respect the elections. We're a democracy! The people have spoken, they re-elected Obama. Why can't the Republicans just blindly follow him? We never saw the Democrats oppose Bush, see they respect democracy...
    and rosa parks obviously was an anarchist. why did she hate democracy so much?

Does that mean that we should just sit down and shut up about the Patriot Act and the Federal Reserve system? I mean, they're "the law".
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast