Thread: [Video] Senate Floor: Rand Paul Joins Ted Cruz on Defunding ObamaCare

[Video] Senate Floor: Rand Paul Joins Ted Cruz on Defunding ObamaCare

Last edited by jct74; 09-25-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Did Rand essentially say that he will vote for cloture and then go from there?

Rand is voting against cloture, otherwise there is no chance for a compromise. The Dems would get Obamacare funded or force the House to shutdown govt and take the blame for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Rand is voting against cloture, otherwise there is no chance for a compromise. The Dems would get Obamacare funded or force the House to shutdown govt and take the blame for it.
    The House has funded every other component of government. I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

Rand is voting against cloture
    His speech sounded otherwise to me.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    We are making historical gains in the fight against tyranny. Step by step, our R3VOLUTION is gaining ground.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    The House has funded every other component of government. I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

If they don't vote against cloture then Reid would be able to remove the defund Obamacare portion with a simple majority, thus forcing the House to either accept that, try again, or to shutdown the govt. The Dems will not negotiate unless they're forced to, they don't care about a govt shutdown as long as the Republicans are blamed for it.

If Cruz and others are successful then the pressure would be placed on Reid and the Senate to get something done.
    Last edited by Rudeman; 09-24-2013 at 07:42 PM.

If they don't vote against cloture then Reid would be able to remove the defund Obamacare portion with a simple majority, thus forcing the House to either accept that, try again, or to shutdown the govt. The Dems will not negotiate unless they're forced to, they don't care about a govt shutdown as long as the Republicans are blamed for it.

If Cruz and others are successful then the pressure would be placed on Reid and the Senate to get something done.
    I still don't see how it would be the fault of the House Republicans. It would be the Senate Democrats that could not offer a reasonable compromise.
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I still don't see how it would be the fault of the House Republicans. It would be the Senate Democrats that could not offer a reasonable compromise.
    The Senate would be basically rejecting the HOR CR and passing one that funds everything including Obamacare. This would put the HOR in a position where they would be responding to the Senate, whereas if Cruz succeeds the Senate would be placed in a position where it needs to respond to the HOR. The strategy only works if Republicans in the Senate stick together (at least enough of them).

The Senate would be basically rejecting the HOR CR and passing one that funds everything including Obamacare. This would put the HOR in a position where they would be responding to the Senate, whereas if Cruz succeeds the Senate would be placed in a position where it needs to respond to the HOR. The strategy only works if Republicans in the Senate stick together (at least enough of them).

My assertion is that the Senate will not have responded reasonably. Why does the House even need to respond?