Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Home Brewing

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Goal is 10 gallons of apple juice pressed for a lalvin 71B-1122 fermentation today.

Nice. Are the trees yours or do you pick from an orchard?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This set up is offered for $100.00 on craigslist here. I may go get it today. Or not. I do want a burner and a brew pot for sure though.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have about 100 mature trees that were left wild for about 20 years before I bought the place. I have 6 years into pruning and nurturing what was close to becoming maple/wild cherry/ash forest. We have some harsh spring weather that's tough on the buds... this year about 15 trees are holding solid amounts of apple. Even at 15 trees though.... IF I could manage to harvest it all and store it and get it to press that would be well over 200 gallons of juice; goal for the season is 100 gallons.
    Last edited by presence; 10-07-2016 at 07:08 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Feelgood View Post
    You are totally boned now, if you have been bitten by this bug. I started doing an occasional brew for $#@!s and giggles to see how it would turn out. Beer was so good, I dont even drink store bought any more. Have turned into a bit of a beer snob. Currently have about 10 cases of beer conditioning. Am about to brew a Baltic Porter. I am now looking at and considering opening a micro brewery in my area. My brews are exceptional and friends ask me for them all the time.

While glass carboys are the norm for most, I would recommend the SS Brewbucket. Much easier to clean and use than a carboy. This is what I use whenever I do 6 gallon batches.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brewbucket

Need advice, let me know. My favs thus far is called Voodoo that You Do. It is classified as a barleywine, clocks in at 8.7% ABV. One and your good, two and youre done. Have a delicious batch of a Bavarian Weissbeir for Octoberfest. Also have a Pumpkin Lager which should be ready just in time for Halloween.

Currently soaking some oak chips in bourbon to recreate a Lock Stock n Barrel Imperial Aged Stout. Will take a minimum 6 months to age before ready to drink.

Have an Angry Bovine Chocolate Milk Stout conditioning. Ready in 30 more days.
    Thanks for the offer, I will undoubtedly have many questions in the near future.

That brewbucket looks like a real nice piece of equipment.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 10-07-2016 at 07:14 AM.

I have about 100 mature trees that were left wild for about 20 years before I bought the place. I have 6 years into pruning and nurturing what was close to becoming maple/wild cherry/ash forest. We have some harsh spring weather that's tough on the buds... this year about 15 trees are holding solid amounts of apple.
    Very cool. We have an abundance of abandoned apple trees around here too.

2 new five gallon corny kegs a bubblin'

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Any thoughts on using these for fermenting?
    I'm wondering if they will stand up to fermenting without degrading.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/5816139142.html
    Last edited by Origanalist; 10-09-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This set up is offered for $100.00 on craigslist here. I may go get it today. Or not. I do want a burner and a brew pot for sure though.

Plastic containers are bad for brewing. too easily scratched and those little scratches can allow bacteria to get into a brew and cause off flavors. I avoid plastic at all costs.

That bottle capper is your basic begginers type of capper. Clumsy and a bit of a wrist breaker. Youll use it once or twice and be like $#@! this! Its ok for a 1 or 2 gallon brew, but if youre bottling 50+ bottles, youll quickly be hating life.

Burner looks ok, almost looks like a turkey fryer. This is the burner I use and it is a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...tar-burner-2-0

The bottles are no good. They work for a few brews and then start to leak. My guess is this guy has used them a few times and they are at that point of starting to leak and need replaced.

I picked up a nice 6 gallon (24 quart) pot to brew in from a local Ross store for $15.

Looking at the setup he is selling, I would guess he is upgrading his system, probably going to all grain type setup, and looking to unload his starter kit. Only thing in that pick of value might be the burner and pot. Offer $25 for that and leave the rest.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Any thoughts on using these for fermenting?
    I'm wondering if they will stand up to fermenting without degrading.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/5816139142.html
    Ummm no, just no.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...o-2-6-5-gallon

I think they have these is like a 2 or 3 gallon size as well. Better than a typical carboy because it is glass as well, but a LARGE mouth opening which makes cleaning a breeze.

When it comes to bottling you are better off just collecting your pop off top bottles yourself. There are a lot of great ways to do this. Buy cases of empty bottles from online (my least favorite way to do this). Drink beers you buy from the store and save the bottles. Cant be screw off like Budweisers etc. Need to be a pop off like Sam Adams etc. My friends beer of choice is the Beck's Sapphire.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32/88206/

Which brings me to the next option, ask your beer drinking friends to save their empties for you. He saves these for me, and they are GREAT! Dark black bottles which are great because they keep that horrible beer killing light put of the beer.
    Last edited by Feelgood; 10-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Ummm no, just no.

I think they have these is like a 2 or 3 gallon size as well. Better than a typical carboy because it is glass as well, but a LARGE mouth opening which makes cleaning a breeze.
    Ugh, what was I thinking? Cleaning would be a nightmare, all I was worried about was the material breaking down. Thanks.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2 new five gallon corny kegs a bubblin'

those were both 71B-1122; one didn't take (it was 18 months old)... so I restarted it with 1118 which is pretty die hard

10 more gallons bubbling for total of 20 (4 corny kegs); the two new ones are safale 4 and safale 5

bloop..... bloop .....bloop bloop

bloop bloop ..bloop ...bloop

bloop ................bloop bloop.. bloop

We've been boiling off the press tailings into syrup/jelly at 235F or about SG 1.33 or so. Thats some pucker on yer pancakes!
    Last edited by presence; 10-09-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Exactly. Trying to help you from experience. Youll have a pile of trub at the bottom to clean and remove and then the layer of foaming from the fermentation process will coat the upper 15% of your fermenter with a nice coating of sludge to remove as well.

PBW is the best for cleaning. Oxyclean is the best for soaking to remove old labels from used beer bottles. I use star-san for the sanitizing, but it does foam. As it is a no rinse sanitizer, the saying is "dont fear the foam" it wont harm your brew.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

Ummm no, just no.

When it comes to bottling you are better off just collecting your pop off top bottles yourself. There are a lot of great ways to do this. Buy cases of empty bottles from online (my least favorite way to do this). Drink beers you buy from the store and save the bottles. Cant be screw off like Budweisers etc. Need to be a pop off like Sam Adams etc. My friends beer of choice is the Beck's Sapphire.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32/88206/

Which brings me to the next option, ask your beer drinking friends to save their empties for you. He saves these for me, and they are GREAT! Dark black bottles which are great because they keep that horrible beer killing light put of the beer.
    I've been buying Grolsch and drinking them but I don't much care for the beer. It's "ok". That's what my first batch went into. I think I will just get a capper and caps, I have a neighbor that owns a local tavern and I'm sure I can get all the cappable (is that a word?) bottles I need.

I use oxyclean on wine bottles before bottling my applewein, I find 24-72 hours is ideal soak; any longer and the oxyclean can re crystalize on inside of your bottles and you have to get it off with vinegar; oxyclean unlike star-san will harm your brew.

For sanitizer, I tend towards bulk potasium metabisulphite.

I use cornelius kegs for primary:

here's 4 for $200
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-FOUR-...AAAOSw4shX6e82

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cornelius+keg

I use oxyclean on wine bottles before bottling my applewein, I find 24-72 hours is ideal soak; any longer and the oxyclean can re crystalize on inside of your bottles and you have to get it off with vinegar; oxyclean unlike star-san will harm your brew.

For sanitizer, I tend towards bulk potasium metabisulphite.

I use cornelius kegs for primary:

here's 4 for $200
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-FOUR-...AAAOSw4shX6e82

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cornelius+keg
    It's going to take a little while and money to get all the equipment I need. I'm going to have to set up the burner on the back porch for lack of a better spot for now.

It's going to take a little while and money to get all the equipment I need.
    For wine bottles I put out a craigslist ad for 750's and 1.5l's. I ended up w/ 200 750's that I paid 0.25 each for from a single party.

For gallons I've been collecting over the years from anyone with a bottle laying around or in the recycle bin. Before I bought this property w/ apple trees I had collected about 50 gallons by buying a glass gallon of apple juice twice a month at the grocery.

I have a bunch of tubing, brushes, and airlocks that I bought online.
    I bought a 3 legged corker locally at the brew shop. $70ish

For wine that's about all you need; there's nothing to cook. That said... this year I'm looking at picking up a 30qt "all american" canner so we can can 14qts of juice at once for non-alcoholic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600.jpg  

I've also got about 100 750ml liquor bottles that I've been collecting from friends and family for the past two decades. I don't use them yet... but... I've got a 500g stainless tank that will one day be filled with corn mash given the appropriate abundance. A friend of mine runs a 15.5g home made beer keg still; while I don't own one yet, I'm inspired; I've caught the bug and can handle the plumbing. He's a few hours out but next time I'm there he's promised to cook me a 1/2 gal growler of shine at 180proof I might end up passing the 500g tank along because he's more remote than me. Cool thing about corn mash though... its really fast. 14 days of bubble and you're on the other side.

Beer Keg Kit 2" inch Copper Pipe Moonshine Still Pot Still Distillation Column

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beer-Keg-Kit...QAAOSwHnFV1VCi

Admittedly haven't brewed a beer in almost 3 years since my family and work dynamics have drastically changed and things have been CRAZY. Going to try to find some time over Christmas and brew up a Belgian Dubbel recipe that I posted. It's a go to for consistency and it's delicious.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've tried to brew but that was waste of time, for me. I know absolutely nothing about it

Quote Originally Posted by Cloutio View Post
    I've tried to brew but that was waste of time, for me. I know absolutely nothing about it
    It takes a while because of the prep. Someone once described the hobby as you being a Glorified Dish Washer.

15% brewing. 75% Cleaning and sanitizing everything
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I got back into brewing almost two years ago and got decent equipment. I made some batches of beer that turned out very good. However, beer is too much trouble. It also puts serious weight on me. So, I took up my old meadmaking practice and mastered it. By carefully controlling fermentation conditions and sourcing excellent raw honeys, I now make fantastic meads that are crystal clear and ready to bottle inside of two months - and at 16-17% abv and dry, yet no alcohol heat. This stuff is amazing. My favorite is made from a wildflower honey I source in bulk from Central America.

I also make a few different products from various botanicals including cactus fruit brandy and a spirit made from the body of the cactus that is amazing. These have a tequila like nose and may be substituted for tequila in mixed drinks with good results, but retain a unique flavor. I have had more than one person claim to prefer my oak aged cactus fruit brandy over high end tequilas including Don Julio 1942.

My experience is one can make their own beverages at a fraction of the cost of purchasing directly, and make a far superior product. Beer is a pain in the ass. Working with fruit is messy, so I don't bother with fruit wines (but brandy is easy). Mead is surprisingly easy and makes a divine product ONLY when done properly. Stilling is the easiest of all because control of primary fermentation is not so critical and aging and clearing is not a factor (unless one is looking to barrel age). Fruit brandies (eau de vie) are easy and excellent - and low cost if you get the fruit at low cost.
    Last edited by buenijo; 07-12-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    It takes a while because of the prep. Someone once described the hobby as you being a Glorified Dish Washer.

15% brewing. 75% Cleaning and sanitizing everything
    But if you don't you will get your own unique local yeast started with no need to add any. Just like sourdough. They made brew for thousands of years before they knew about sanitizing. My next batch is going to be a sweet potato/yam ferment, Heard about it from ancient South America and want to try it.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I've never brewed beer before. Then again why would I when I don't drink alcohol?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The best part of taking honey supers off the hive this time of year is that it gives a good excuse to start a batch of mead. I set the scrapped wax cappings off in a separate 5-gallon bucket. I then fill the bucket half full with water and wash the honey off the wax. Skim the floating wax off and drop a hydrometer in the wash water. Add a little more honey to get to a specific gravity of 1.125, add some yeast and nutrients, then off she goes!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 11-18-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Preparing a batch of Stone Fence. I have two cider apples trees in the orchard - Calville Blanc D'Hiver and Kingston Black. I have a six gallon batch of cider going right now. I added some of my honey to bring the potential alcohol content up to 16%, which technically makes it a cyser. I will probably mate it with Eagle Rare, which is a straight bourbon whiskey.

What is Stone Fence you ask?
    http://allintocider.com/recipes/amer...irst-cocktail/

Most colonial towns had few if any civic buildings, making taverns de facto sites for every sort of meeting. In this case, meeting at a tavern undoubtably had its benefits, for although Arnold had an official commission and orders to lead the mission most of the assembled company was unwilling to follow anyone but Allen. As the story goes, all sat down for cups of the local tipple – cider mixed with rum, that other New England staple – a compromise was reached, and the fort was easily captured the next day. The confiscated canons were used six months later to drive the British troops from Boston effectively ending major military activity in New England.

At what point the mix of rum and cider became known as a Stone Fence isn’t clear. Over time, though, taverns across the land would serve cider mixed with whatever spirit was made locally – rum in New England, rye in Pennsylvania, bourbon in Kentucky, or applejack in New Jersey. By the time anyone got around to writing the first bar manual, the Stone Fence had been enfeebled by exchanging cider for sweet apple juice. This version of the Stone Fence isn’t awful, but it lacks a certain thrill. A better approach is to follow the lead of Ethan and his Boys. Take a bottle of your favorite local cider and mix it 1:1 with something from your favorite local distillery, preferably something barrel-aged.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456