Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The RPF Firewood Thread

Cody has a few equipment reviews and a lot of various timber framing /gardening /firewood videos.

Some in this thread may find his channel interesting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMI...VHtvgSVf6TgfUg

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was gifted some firewood not long back. A friend of a friend had to put their dad in a home and said I could come get all the firewood I wanted. Managed 4 pick-up truck loads for myself and four for a friend. Already spit and aged hardwood. Good deal.

On about 600 sqft of low pile commerical and some indoor/outdoor carpet I just rolled a bucket of black fibred roof coating:

I torch melted the edges to stop it from running... best damn firewood tarps money can buy
    Last edited by presence; 10-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Ha! Was thinking about this thread today. Just brushed the chimney and stove pipe, replaced the window gasket and have the stove ready for the cold weather. Timely bump presence. +rep.

Bought an awesome wood stove we need to hook up on the second floor but haven't quite made it there for like 3 maybe 4 years now. We need to get the project done. We have a fireplace on the first floor we had to use in a pinch in the first years we were learning and repairing the gas boiler system. First serious frost yesterday morning. The cold is a comin'...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Bought an awesome wood stove we need to hook up on the second floor but haven't quite made it there for like 3 maybe 4 years now. We need to get the project done. We have a fireplace on the first floor we had to use in a pinch in the first years we were learning and repairing the gas boiler system. First serious frost yesterday morning. The cold is a comin'...
    Just do it!

I have to clean the house and shop chimneys, and finish the lean-to for the tractor and implements. I just finished putting in the frostless hydrants to the cows and the shop today (have more covering to do, but almost done, will wait for the rain to pass and then finish covering the last 4-6" out of 36", about 400' of line)
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ha! Was thinking about this thread today. Just brushed the chimney and stove pipe, replaced the window gasket and have the stove ready for the cold weather. Timely bump presence. +rep.
    Going to brush my chimney Sat

I have 10 cords ready. Fired up the stove yesterday for a test run, and burn out the cob webs in the stack.... I'm just north of Seattle by 30 miles. 2 story house. I get my wood delivered chopped and dried. 2 1/2 cords @ 450 bucks. I did chop down some LARGE cotton wood trees early this year and got about 4 cords out of it. Yeah, cotton wood is ok...Its free BTU's. The rest is fir.

Bring on winter..

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    I have 10 cords ready. Fired up the stove yesterday for a test run, and burn out the cob webs in the stack.... I'm just north of Seattle by 30 miles. 2 story house. I get my wood delivered chopped and dried. 2 1/2 cords @ 450 bucks. I did chop down some LARGE cotton wood trees early this year and got about 4 cords out of it. Yeah, cotton wood is ok...Its free BTU's. The rest is fir.

Bring on winter..
    I'm currently paying 50.00 per rick (2 ricks is a chord) skinned (no bark) hardwood (red elm or ash, once in a while cherry).

It is good that you are ready!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

I burn , mostly , Hickory , Cherry , then some Walnut , Maple ,white Oak ,Beech, then mix in a little Poplar and Sycamore if I have any left from my last bonfires of the yr. Apple trimmings get saved for smoking.I have even burned Birch , Osage Orange , Locust , Paw Paw and about anything dead , I normally never cut live trees . Just burn all the dead stuff from my two closest properties , the other one is two far away to justify burning the gas to get wood . Guy down the way from me a few miles, towards the bait & tackle ( to the West) charges $50 a rick for Ash and it sells , I noticed last weekend all he had out for sale was already gone. I will be cutting and splitting again this coming weekend , have been for a good while already , but took last weekend off for a Funeral for a close friend

Its starting to get cold at night now. Mid 40's. I wake up at 5:30am every morning and the temp in the house is hitting 72 in the morning. Almost fired up the stove, but then as the day warms the temp gets to 81 with the wood stove going, so its now a balancing act. When the wife starts telling me its cold in the mornings is when i will go into full tilt burning non stop....

I like to maintain the house temp at or near 80 at night depending on any cold snaps, and those will be coming very soon...

I still dream about moving to Hawaii....Kauai to be exact.

Its starting to get cold at night now. Mid 40's. I wake up at 5:30am every morning and the temp in the house is hitting 72 in the morning. Almost fired up the stove, but then as the day warms the temp gets to 81 with the wood stove going, so its now a balancing act. When the wife starts telling me its cold in the mornings is when i will go into full tilt burning non stop....

I like to maintain the house temp at or near 80 at night depending on any cold snaps, and those will be coming very soon...

I still dream about moving to Hawaii....Kauai to be exact.
    I am happy if I can keep it around 68 to 70 in the winter and 75 to 77 in the summer.If the Mrs was not here I would be even worse.

Its starting to get cold at night now. Mid 40's.
    We're religious about no heat April 15th to October 15th. This year it looks like we'll be able to push it off until October 19th. Its chilly but all south facing windows are nice!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am happy if I can keep it around 68 to 70 in the winter and 75 to 77 in the summer.If the Mrs was not here I would be even worse.
    That's about where I try to keep it, also.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    That's about where I try to keep it, also.
    i hear ya, but these 'old bones' need heat now...i''m with Oyarde on the keeping it cooler, but yeah...i'm married...lol...

i hear ya, but these 'old bones' need heat now...i''m with Oyarde on the keeping it cooler, but yeah...i'm married...lol...
    My wife is starting to get used to it. But I can't handle the temps being too large of a swing going in and out of the house. Of course, 68 to 20 is still a pretty large swing, but not as bad as 80 to 20 (it's not 20 here yet, but... you know what I mean). If I need to get warm quick, in the winter, I get next to the wood stove for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Going to brush my chimney Sat
    I made up a tool,, Works better than a brush for my chimney.

I did replace the rope with a SS cable.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Just do it!

I have to clean the house and shop chimneys, and finish the lean-to for the tractor and implements. I just finished putting in the frostless hydrants to the cows and the shop today (have more covering to do, but almost done, will wait for the rain to pass and then finish covering the last 4-6" out of 36", about 400' of line)
    Woah, you've been busy. Current project is trying to get dh to help finish the art room we are remodeling on the second floor for our homeschooling. He gets pissy when I come up with too many projects at once and the room with the heater is largely storage right now, so bottom of ta list it goes. Hopefully we won't get stuck wishing we bumped that project up. The stupid zone control went out on the boiler so we are running on only one for now until we get that part in a few days. Thankfully the boiler has not picked the brutally cold days to pitch a tantrum, but each year it is something that needs replaced...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I made up a tool,, Works better than a brush for my chimney.

(image of cool tool removed for brevity)

I did replace the rope with a SS cable.
    I have to use a brush, my chimneys are SS. The house is metalbestos, and the shop is triple wall.

I think your tool might damage the metal stacks. But, it looks much easier than screwing on extensions. I always start getting cramps trying to screws those dang things on. The house chimney is ~22'.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 10-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.

I have to use a brush, my chimneys are SS. The house is metalbestos, and the shop is triple wall.

I think your tool might damage the metal stacks. But, it looks much easier than screwing on extensions. I always start getting cramps trying to screws those dang things on. The house chimney is ~22'.
    You could redesign one to fit your Chimney,, most probably. Mine is square tile, inside concrete block. . and this cuts the corners where a brush won't clean.

I get a lot of build up,, and clear it regularly.

BTW,, it is an old slide hammer and some re-purposed worn out lawnmower blades.
    (pack-rat ftw)
    Last edited by pcosmar; 10-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Bring on winter..
    Anywhere near Monroe? I used to sweat up there.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

On the subject of extensions... I use 1/2 copper with male and female adapters. In the top female adapter I have a 1/2 x 1/4 bushing. the brushes you buy at home depot are 1/4' straight pipe thread which screws into the 1/4' tapered pipe thread well enough. My copper rods are much more tough than those fibre glass ones you can buy commercially.

Lit the fire today. Woke up to 55' in the house... that doesn't cut it

From this day forward the fire shall burn!
    Last edited by presence; 10-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Lit the fire today. Woke up to 55' in the house... that doesn't cut it
    Mine has been burning for a couple weeks already. since early October.
    I usually light it about now.. but it has been cool all summer, and fall isn't warm either.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

We have tried to use a flexible (tho rigid) plastic hose (polypropylene, about 1", used for gas/water here) with a brush on top. The theory is that you can push it up from the bottom. It didn't work here because we have a flexible SS liner that goes up in a slight spiral, creating a lot of drag on the tool. Sadly this meant I had to climb the roof, some 28ft or so.

So far the stove hasn't been used, I don't have a clue why though. I am amazed though that the price for firewood here is about the same as in the US. We pay about 180euro per cord for decent birch/oak. I would have expected our firewood to be much more expensive. Maybe it helps that very few people here still us wood fired stoves. Well still a few but probably less than in the US.

I wish I had gone with 8" instead of 6" on the house. I usually have to clean the elbow and cross pipe in the basement around Jan each year.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    We have tried to use a flexible (tho rigid) plastic hose (polypropylene, about 1", used for gas/water here) with a brush on top. The theory is that you can push it up from the bottom. It didn't work here because we have a flexible SS liner that goes up in a slight spiral, creating a lot of drag on the tool. Sadly this meant I had to climb the roof, some 28ft or so.

So far the stove hasn't been used, I don't have a clue why though. I am amazed though that the price for firewood here is about the same as in the US. We pay about 180euro per cord for decent birch/oak. I would have expected our firewood to be much more expensive. Maybe it helps that very few people here still us wood fired stoves. Well still a few but probably less than in the US.
    I need to find a better way.

I wish I had gone with 8" instead of 6" on the house. I usually have to clean the elbow and cross pipe in the basement around Jan each year.
    The house has a 6" flue here as well. If I'd have to rebuild it I would also upgrade to an 8 inch flue as well as putting in an access panel on the first floor. Not having an access panel really sucks. It could still be a flexible liner since that's pretty nice with movement inside the building but access half way in is really nice. My pizza oven is going to get an 8" flue anyways, otherwise the risk of smoke in your face is too big .

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Anywhere near Monroe? I used to sweat up there.

Monroe is about 20 miles east of me.

This time last year i had the stove going daily, in the mornings. This year however its warmer than usual, so, i'm saving wood. Always nice when that happens. Still in the 60's during the day, and low 50's at night....i can't can't justify starting it up daily yet...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Mine has been burning for a couple weeks already. since early October.
    I usually light it about now.. but it has been cool all summer, and fall isn't warm either.
    But... but... global warming!

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Monroe is about 20 miles east of me.

This time last year i had the stove going daily, in the mornings. This year however its warmer than usual, so, i'm saving wood. Always nice when that happens. Still in the 60's during the day, and low 50's at night....i can't can't justify starting it up daily yet...

About 6 or 7 years ago we had the wood stove running on and off all summer. It was chilly at night.

I suppose I should now prepare for a global warming entry team to make its presence felt in the next few minutes. It's been nice knowing y'all.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast