Thread: Operation Compliance: Detroit's War on Small Business

Operation Compliance: Detroit's War on Small Business

This is just astounding. "stated goal of shutting down 20 businesses a week"

The party of the little guy strikes again.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/09/17/vi...etroits-war-on

"Someone breaks in, they never show up. Yet still, they want to come and blackball you and close your business," says Derek Little, owner of an auto shop along Detroit's Livernois Avenue.

He's one of many business owners in Detroit who's faced what he says amounts to harassment from the city's overzealous code enforcement. Amidst a bankruptcy and a fast-dwindling population and tax base, the city has prioritized the task of ensuring that all businesses are in compliance with its codes and permitting. To accomplish this, Mayor David Bing announced in January that he'd assembled a task force to execute Operation Compliance.

Operation Compliance began with the stated goal of shutting down 20 businesses a week. Since its inception, Operation Compliance has resulted in the closure of 383 small businesses, with another 536 in the "process of compliance," according to figures provided to Reason TV by city officials.
    Vid at the link.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So...the mayor is trying to completely destroy the city?

It's villainous on a comic book level.

There is a Detroit in every corner of the country just waiting to happen, folks. Learn from Detroit. This could be your town too. Should have known that all of that bailout money would never get paid back. And now look. Look what they are doing. Middle class are becoming extinct while the rich are getting richer than ever before.

Anyhoo...old ideas cannot continue to guid an economy. Industrial age logic cannot and will not permit for a thriving infrastructure that is now and will continue to be dependent upon successfully educating generations in a manner conforming to the information age that we are in now in the 21's century. We don't have a financial issue as much as we have an educational issue. School systems are still teaching industrial age logic.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    So...the mayor is trying to completely destroy the city?

It's villainous on a comic book level.
    I know. LOL He's a villain from an Ayn Rand novel! And they call her characters cartoonish and OTT...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    There is a Detroit in every corner of the country just waiting to happen, folks. Learn from Detroit. This could be your town too. Should have known that all of that bailout money would never get paid back. And now look. Look what they are doing. Middle class are becoming extinct while the rich are getting richer than ever before.

Anyhoo...old ideas cannot continue to guid an economy. Industrial age logic cannot and will not permit for a thriving infrastructure that is now and will continue to be dependent upon successfully educating generations in a manner conforming to the information age that we are in now in the 21's century. We don't have a financial issue as much as we have an educational issue. School systems are still teaching industrial age logic.
    Yup yup yup.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

This country needs both industrial and information infrastructure.

For the past several decades the push has been to squelch industry and promote both service and information employment..

What I think we're seeing is the result of outsourcing industry..

This country does need to go back to making things again, aside from war and financial fraud. Too bad The Planners destroyed manufacturing along with everything else.

Anarcho-Perspective on Detroit is Catching On
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...s-catching-on/

Travis Holte sent me this video along with the message, “What? Reason didn’t interview you for this piece???” Travis has an amazing eagle eye for these things, and I shouldn’t promote Reason’s take-offs on my anarcho-Detroit culture since they have never cited me while conducting their imitation of my take on the ground-up, voluntaryist Detroit resurgence that rejects government, but this one is worth mentioning. That is because Michael LaFaive, a Director at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, is quoted as saying that, “Accidentally, the city has created an anarchistic culture….”

[...]I appreciate LaFaive’s take on mentioning “Detroit” and “anarchistic” in the same sentence, Detroit’s anarchy is not accidental, and it has not been “created” by the city. So I will offer up my version of a correction since I have been covering the positive side of Detroit’s resurgence for about the last four years.

Detroit’s ground-up resurrection has not been created by the city, but rather, it has been enabled by the city because in spite of its seemingly unyielding regulatory environment, as presented by the media and some local businessmen, the government-regulatory complex has been too corrupt, too inept, and too inconsequential to enforce its own ridiculous dictates, for the most part. Hence the ‘end around’ on the part of savvy entrepreneurs to establish a service-for-profit base in the city.

The term “create” denotes intelligent, purposeful design while a more appropriate term, “enabling,” can be defined as allowing or permitting via a serendipitous practice. Also, nothing is “accidental” as entrepreneurs have been very canny in learning to navigate the regulatory waters while taking advantage of the lack of rigorous enforcement of the existing regulatory structure. Detroit’s entrepreneurial storm that is rooted in rejection of the conventional political system is purposeful in that creative human capital actually seeks Detroit out as a place where they can potentially launch and operate innovative entrepreneurial efforts with minimal bureaucratic meddling. This is cross-posted at my “Detroit: From Rust to Riches” blog.
    --Albert J. Nock

Who is John Galt? :/

My Town is doing this as well but on a smaller scale. Tons of people have moved out and some streets have so many for sale signs that it looks like a ghost town. The moving trucks arrive on October 1st for me and this place will just be a memory.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ