Thread: Destruction of US Sarin Stockpiles delayed until 2023

Destruction of US Sarin Stockpiles delayed until 2023

Because 10% of a Ridiculously Huge Stockpile is still
    a Huge Stockpile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...emical_weapons
    Although April 2012 is the latest date allowed by the treaty, the U.S. also noted that this deadline may not be met due to environmental challenges and the U.S. decision to destroy leaking individual chemical shells before bulk storage chemical weapons.[26][27]

The primary remaining chemical weapon storage facilities in the U.S. are Pueblo Chemical Depot in Colorado and Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky.[28] These two facilities hold 10.25% of the U.S. 1997 declared stockpile

[]

According to the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency by January, 2012, the United States had destroyed 89.75% of the original stockpile of nearly 31,100 metric tons (30,609 long tons) of nerve and mustard agents declared in 1997.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_Chemical_Depot

The Pueblo Chemical Depot is a chemical weapons storage site located in Pueblo County, Colorado, United States.
    The depot houses 2,611 tons (2,369 metric tons) of mustard agent in approximately 780,000 munitions, equivalent to about seven percent of the original chemical material stockpile of the United States.[1][2] The current course of action for the Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant, included in the President's Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Request, will allow for acceleration of the project schedule. After systemization and pilot testing of the facility, full-scale destruction operations are expected to begin in 2014 and to be complete by 2017. The plant will operate until all the chemical weapons have been destroyed. Closure activities (shut-down, dismantling, and restoration of site) are slated to be wrapped up by 2020. The plant will use neutralization with a hot caustic solution followed by bacterial biotreatment to destroy mustard agent. [3] This is far outside

the deadline set by the Chemical Weapons Convention (April 2012).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Grass_Army_Depot

BGAD stores a small stockpile of chemical agents, comprising 523 tons of nerve agents GB (sarin) and VX, and mustard gas, or about two percent of the United States chemical weapons stockpile.
    Beginning in 2003, destruction of the Blue Grass chemical weapons stockpile, in accordance with the Chemical Weapons Treaty, was contracted out using a technology known as neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation. This is a different method than the incineration that is used at the larger stockpiles.
    Groundbreaking for the chemical destruction facility took place on October 28, 2006. Final design of the facilities should be complete in 2010 and actual construction in 2018, after which destruction of the weapons will begin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_G...on_Pilot_Plant

In March 2005 the design-build-operate-close schedule was extended to make the program more affordable on an annual basis. Site preparation work and the construction of support buildings continued and final designs for the remaining BGCAPP facilities were completed in 2010. After systemization of the facility, destruction operations are expected to begin in 2020

and to be complete by 2023.
    [2]

The plant will operate until all the chemical weapons have been destroyed. Closure activities (shut-down, dismantling, and restoration of site) are slated to be wrapped up by 2026. This schedule exceeds the terms of the Chemical Weapons Convention.

See also:

http://www.cma.army.mil/bluegrass.aspx

http://www.cma.army.mil/pueblo.aspx

Last edited by presence; 09-09-2013 at 06:40 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you say, Hypocrites?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

So... if we're never going to use them then why do we have them? Haven't we signed a non-use agreement? Is it not immoral to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    So... if we're never going to use them then why do we have them? Haven't we signed a non-use agreement? Is it not immoral to use them?

Mostly just a $1000 toilet seat situation.

This is just like the $600 hammer or the $1,000 toilet seat that we’ve seen in the military in the past.”
    http://www.salon.com/2003/10/16/halliburton/

http://www.bechtel.com

and

http://www.parsons.com

Are spear heading the disposal of the last 10%. The other 90%; bruised fruit and rotten apples, was incinerated on the cheap. Kind of like rotating stock on the grocer shelf.
    Last edited by presence; 09-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Can you say, Hypocrites?
    Yesh...I can also say War Pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Your honor, I understand that these fine officers found me to be in possesion of 10kg of cocaine, but I promise I used to have 100. I'll do my best to build a contraption over the next ten years to destroy the remainder in an unproven way.

Last edited by presence; 09-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.

2023 Huh? ...about the same time Germany should be getting their TUNGSTEN GOLD back from the New York vaults of FEDERAL RESERVE BORG building.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Good grief. Why do we need this stuff, and why did we make so much of it in the first place?

No one is going to make an armed state invasion of this freakin' country for chrissakes.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People are fooling themselves if they think we only have 10% of the chemical weapons we had in 1997.

I'm pretty sure the US used sarin gas in a secret mission to rescue two Marines who were kidnapped by the Taliban and taken over the border into Pakistan.

They used sarin gas in Laos during Operation Tailwind.

I would not doubt it, Eduardo.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    They used sarin gas in Laos during Operation Tailwind.

I would not doubt it, Eduardo.
    I think it was confirmed that the US used sarin gas in Operation Genoa in 2006, I believe.

Does that mean Assad will have chemical weapons for that long as well? lol Does that mean an international force (probably US) will be the ones gaurdin ghese stockpiles?