Earlier this year I ordered Miracle Fruit from a private nursery in Connecticut that specializes in unusual plants. Yesterday I got my first berries, which are mostly seed, but with a thin outer layer of pulp that is reminicent of green grapes. In the pulp is a glycoprotein called 'miraculin' that adheres to taste buds on the tongue when consumed. Consuming acidic fluid results in this protein becoming protonated, which activates 'sweat' receptors. Hence, sour foods become sweet. I was able to bite into and devour a slice of lime in one actions without 'puckering up'. It was pretty weird. The effect lasts up to an hour.

I thought I'd share because it's probably the best artificial sweetener I've run across. If you're trying a new diet but having problems controlling your sweet tooth, I recommend it; it seems to make fruit taste like candy and lemon juice like lemonade. Plus, it's 100% natural and doesn't leave you unsatisfied like with other sweeteners. It's also good for anyone who struggles with diabetes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit