Thread: response from Cantwell to my "NO to Syria" message

response from Cantwell to my "NO to Syria" message

waffling on the side of whatever-Harry-tells-me-to-do, imo. perhaps can be influenced...

no word from Sen Murray yet
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the ongoing situation in Syria. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

I am currently reviewing the language of the proposed legislation that Congress is debating to authorize military action against Syria. I am deeply concerned about the atrocities committed by the Assad regime against the Syrian people. I continue to support humanitarian aid to the Syrian people and military aid to moderate forces in the Syrian opposition. However, I have serious questions about the strategic goals and outcomes of a U.S. military strike in Syria. I look forward to learning more from the Obama Administration on its end goals and its strategy to avoid open-ended involvement in this conflict. At the same time, our nation must work with our allies to protect American interests in the region, including Israel.

On September 4, 2013, the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations approved by a 10-7 vote a draft resolution that would authorize President Barack Obama to use U.S. military force in Syria. If enacted, this resolution would prohibit U.S. troops on the ground, and would set a limited timeframe for any U.S. military involvement. U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has announced that the full Senate will debate and vote on the resolution no later than the week of September 9, 2013.

On August 31, 2013, President Barack Obama announced he would seek Congressional authorization for a limited U.S. military strike in Syria. The President's announcement was made shortly after the White House released an intelligence assessment to the public which concluded with "high confidence" that the Syrian government deployed chemical weapons on its citizens during the morning of August 21, 2013.

The United States and the international community have strongly condemned the use of chemical weapons. I have heard from many Washingtonians who are concerned about the atrocities committed and the safety of the Syrian people. I have also heard from many Washingtonians who are deeply concerned about the potential use of U.S. military force in Syria. As the United States recovers from a decade of war that has put a strain on our military families and our country, it is important that Congress and the President exercise caution in this decision. A government's illegal use of chemical weapons on its own people is indefensible and unacceptable; however, the use of U.S. military force should not be taken lightly.

Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this situation develops.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
    http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    waffling on the side of whatever-Harry-tells-me-to-do, imo. perhaps can be influenced...

no word from Sen Murray yet
    I'm pretty surprised at the response you got from Cantwell. But I'm pretty sure if he launched an attack she would support it.
    "The Patriarch"