Thread: Response from Meadows on Syria

Response from Meadows on Syria

Just got this email today from Congressman Meadows' office regarding my numerous contacts urging him to vote against the Syrian AUMF:

Dear Mr. Triplett:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the ongoing humanitarian and civil crisis in Syria. It is good to hear from you, and I am happy to respond to your concerns.

As you know, as part of the anti-authoritarian movements spreading through the Middle-East in 2011, known as the “Arab Spring,” demonstrations against President Bashar Al-Assad and the ruling Syrian Ba’ath Party began to grow. The opposition movement is composed of a wide range of groups and influences, ranging from moderate reformers to extremist forces. Since mid-2012, major violence has spread to many larger cities including Damascus and Aleppo, with the Syrian Army cracking down on rebel opposition forces with brutal violence. In May 2013, it was estimated that as many as 90,000 civilians have been killed in the rebellion.

Without any sign of resolution or ceasefire between the Syrian government and the opposition coalition and with the conflict increasing tensions with regional neighbors including Israel, Iran, and Lebanon, several international actors including the U.S., the European Union, Russia, and China have sought to address the growing crisis. Many view the impending Geneva II Conference on Syria convened by the U.S. and Russia as an opportunity to finally resolve the situation, though some have expressed concerns that the possible exclusion of certain players, particularly Iran, may prevent a lasting compromise.

Rest assured that I share your desire for a swift and peaceful resolution to this horrifying conflict and that all steps should be taken to avoid committing U.S. forces to another costly conflict, especially as we endeavor to finally bring the War in Afghanistan to a close. Thank you again for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns. Should you have any further comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
    Mark Meadows
    Member of Congress
    Last edited by dntrpltt; 09-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a bunch of tripe!

Nowhere in that spiel did he state unequivocally that he would vote against bombing Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What a bunch of tripe!

Nowhere in that spiel did he state unequivocally that he would vote against bombing Syria.
    Those were my thoughts as well--I guess we'll see which way he votes when it comes down to it.