Thread: How much would you pay for this gold coin?

Lightbulb How much would you pay for this gold coin?

How much would you pay for this gold coin?
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces33833.html
    Features
    Country Hungary
    Years 1870-1881
    Value 1 Dukát (4.66)
    Metal Gold (.986)
    Weight 3.49g = 0t oz 2.2441dwt

(whatever the f**k that means)
    Shape Round
    Demonetized yes

It is well known in Europe (like Maple Leaf in Canada). I am not selling , just curious how confident you are in gold/losing trust in paper money and some other things.

How many dollars?

How many hours of your manual labor and what kind of it (designing web pages, digging ditches, "retiring" people etc.)?
    Last edited by Barrex; 09-05-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Features
    Country Hungary
    Years 1870-1881
    Value 1 Dukát (4.66)
    Metal Gold (.986)

Shape Round
    Demonetized yes

It is well known in Europe (like Maple Leaf in Canada). I am not selling , just curious how confident you are in gold/losing trust in paper money and some other things.

How many dollars?

How many hours of your manual labor and what kind of it (designing web pages, digging ditches, "retiring" people etc.)?
    DWT means pennyweight, you can find a conversion chart for it . Ten DWT is a 1/2 ounce if I recall , looks like your coin is 3 1/2 grams, .986, currently $44 a gram for .999.Then , there is condition , at About Uncirculated or better is a good place to be . Could not be worth less than around $155 , but would bring much more at auction.....
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.

So , at $155 it would be around a day and a halfs work in the US for someone at median income after taxes , I reckon....

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    DWT means pennyweight, you can find a conversion chart for it . Ten DWT is a 1/2 ounce if I recall , looks like your coin is 3 1/2 grams, .986, currently $44 a gram for .999.Thn , there is condition , at About Uncirculated or better is a good place to be . Could not be worth less than around $155 , but would bring much more at auction.....
    Yes, a Troy pennyweight is 1/20 of a Troy ounce, which is not the same as an avoirdupois ounce (which is what supermarket weights are).
    There are also 12 Troy ounces per Troy pound, which is why there are 240 silver pennies (pence) per Pound Sterling in the old British system.
    Once I learned all that, every time someone said "The old English system was so confusing" came back to me and I realized it was all statist propaganda. The old system made perfect sense.

As far as the coin, it's probably worth more to numismatists, isn't it? How common are they? The metal value is one thing but it probably has a lot more collector's value than a modern rounds stamped for metal value and little else.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Yes, a Troy pennyweight is 1/20 of a Troy ounce, which is not the same as an avoirdupois ounce (which is what supermarket weights are).
    There are also 12 Troy ounces per Troy pound, which is why there are 240 silver pennies (pence) per Pound Sterling in the old British system.
    Once I learned all that, every time someone said "The old English system was so confusing" came back to me and I realized it was all statist propaganda. The old system made perfect sense.

As far as the coin, it's probably worth more to numismatists, isn't it? How common are they? The metal value is one thing but it probably has a lot more collector's value than a modern rounds stamped for metal value and little else.
    I would guess on an auction site , in Extra Fine or better it would bring twice the gold value, but I do not know much about the Ducats..... there is a guy in Alaska , Fairbanks if I recall , half owner of a coin shop who still hand stamps and sells gold coins in pennyweight of native gold ..... yes , pennyweight makes sense to me .

1850's US gold dollar coins usually go for about twice gold value in collectible condition . I bought one last week for lightly under spot , but it was a former jewelry pc( jewelry more than once ) , had been soldered on the back and then that was ground off taking the year with it , two small gold loops attached to the top very nicely, it now weighs more than when it was made. Otherwise , it could have brought as much as , close to three times what I pd for it.
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Features
    Country Hungary
    Years 1870-1881
    Value 1 Dukát (4.66)
    Metal Gold (.986)

Shape Round
    Demonetized yes

How many dollars?

How much do you plan on offering for it Barrex ?