Thread: Opponents of intervention in Libya, Pat Toomey & Ron Johnson, back Syria intervention

Opponents of intervention in Libya, Pat Toomey & Ron Johnson, back Syria intervention

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1134
    ALLENTOWN, PA. - U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) issued the following statement today regarding the situation in Syria.

"It appears to be an established fact that Assad has used chemical weapons repeatedly in an indiscriminate slaughter of his own civilians. These weapons and his behavior pose a national security risk to the U.S. This calls for an American response, being mindful to avoid a long-term military engagement in the Syrian civil war. The President must explain to Congress and the American people the objectives and risks of any action."
    http://wnow.worldnow.com/story/23284...ks-about-syria
    BEAVER DAM (WKOW) -- Wisconsin's Republican U.S. Senator says it is time to take a strong stand against the Syrian government.

Senator Ron Johnson spoke mostly about domestic issues to a group at the Beaver Dam Chamber of Commerce Wednesday, but quickly turned the discussion to Syria when interviewed by 27 News.

"The problem we have in Syria is we have not done anything for the last two and a half years while this slaughter's occurred," says Johnson.

With military action now seeming inevitable, he believes it has to be strong.

"I am concerned we do just some kind of pin-prick strike, that both Assad and Russia take a look at it and go, 'Oh that's it?' That would almost be worse than no action."

But Senator Johnson clarifies his stance, saying that bold action doesn't have to be taken immediately.

"We need a lot more information and that's, to me, that is the president's job. It is incumbent upon him to provide the American public, to provide members of Congress that information and then seek a Congressional vote, approval, of any action he's gonna take."

Ultimately, Senator Johnson believes toppling Bashar al-Assad's regime is likely the United States' best option.

"That would be my current thinking, but I want to hear the President explain it."
    Republican Senators voting to oppose US intervention in Libya were:
    Collins (R-ME), DeMint (R-SC), Ensign (R-NV), Johnson (R-WI), Lee (R-UT), Moran (R-KS), Paul (R-KY), Sessions (R-AL), Sowe (R-ME), Toomey (R-PA)
    As with Flake, given their votes against Libya, clearly these two know better. So why are they supporting intervention in Syria?
    Last edited by compromise; 09-04-2013 at 10:22 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, it looks like these statements are at least a week old. That was before Obama turned to Congress for authorization.
    Last edited by JCDenton0451; 09-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1134

http://wnow.worldnow.com/story/23284...ks-about-syria

As with Flake, given their votes against Libya, clearly these two know better. So why are they supporting intervention in Syria?

To be devil's advocate, we don't have to have a long war with Syria, just go in, get the WMDs for national security and get out - a quicky war. What is wrong with quick war with Syria for national security of our closest allies Saudi Arabia/Israel and also of Americans like some moderate Republicans have called for?

“We know Assad has used these weapons, and there is good reason to suspect the al Qaida-affiliated rebels would use them as well if they could get their hands on them. This poses an intolerable threat not only to our friends in the region, but also to the United States. We need to be developing a clear, practical plan to go in, locate the weapons, secure or destroy them, and then get out. The United States should be firmly in the lead to make sure the job is done right.”- Rafael Cruz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...83YwkLAp0#t=39

CNN.com - 'Old Europe' hits back at Rumsfeld - Jan. 24, 2003
    Jan 24, 2003 - The U.S. defence minister calls France and Germany 'old', the rest of Europe 'young' and wants a quick war with Iraq. ...
    While in Syria for a quick war, we can also scope the terrain for next quick war with Iran for national security of CUFI Pastor John hagee, Saudi Arabia, Israel and all Americans.

We will see when it comes time for the vote. It they vote yes, that would be the tipping point for calling for Primary challengers.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Toomey has been a huge disappointment to Pennsylvanians.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

The cognitive dissonance pisses me off.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Johnson seems to have changed his mind, voted against it in committee. But then again, so did Rubio.