Thread: Pope announces world prayer day for Syria

Pope announces world prayer day for Syria

I'm putting this here instead of the Religion sub-forum so that all who wish to do so can join in this call to pray for peace in Syria. (And please don't turn this into an anti-Pope or anti-Catholic thread). Thank you.

AFP - Pope Francis has called for the world to unite in a day of fasting and prayer for Syria on Saturday and said "God and history" would judge anyone using chemical weapons.

"May the cry for peace enter the hearts of everyone so that they may all lay down their weapons," the pope told thousands of pilgrims at the Vatican on Sunday.

The pope announced that the prayers would be led by a five-hour vigil in St Peter's Square, telling the international community it should make "every effort" for peace.

His call came the United States and France were making plans for possible air strikes against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime over its alleged use of chemical weapons.

"My heart is profoundly wounded in these days by what is happening in Syria and I am anxious about the prospect of dramatic developments," the pope said.

"I condemn with particular force the use of chemical weapons. I still have in my mind and heart the terrible images of the past days," he said.

"There is judgment from God and from history on our actions that no one can escape."

"Weapons and violence do not lead to peace, war leads to more war," he said
    http://www.france24.com/en/20130901-...ayer-day-syria

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm not Catholic, but the more I hear from this pope, the more I like him.

OK.

Sending good energy.....

This pope is a badass.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

I'm sure all those prayers will really help the Syrians.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would have been nice if he said something to specifically discourage Obama from starting WWIII.

I mean isn't that sort of the least that you could ask from anyone who claims to sincerely be hoping for peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Would have been nice if he said something to specifically discourage Obama from starting WWIII.

I mean isn't that sort of the least that you could ask from anyone who claims to sincerely be hoping for peace?
    Specifics may be disregarded as politics but having people "read between the lines" might encourage thoughtful consideration of our options:

But in an apparent appeal to Western nations contemplating a military intervention, Francis said: "Never has the use of violence brought peace in its wake. War begets war, violence begets violence."

Instead, he reiterated his call for the international community to immediately initiate proposals of peace based on dialogue and negotiation.

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/latest-news/5623
    Is it unbefitting to be too specific? Does he need to consider the off-off-off-off chance that the US is in the right time/place - by coincidence - to stop the next attack or "accident"?

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post

Catholic parishes all over America are responding on zero notice to organize prayer vigils, rosaries, and services for peace... don't under estimate the impact that can have both in the short term and the long run.
    “When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.” -CS Lewis

Good for him.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Good for him.
    My posts were deleted out of this thread. You wouldn't say this if you took them in context with my links.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    My posts were deleted out of this thread. You wouldn't say this if you took them in context with my links.
    Can you PM me?

For the record, even though I won't address them here, I pretty much agree with your stance on the Catholic Church. I don't usually go as far as you do (More because of a difference in posting style than anything else). I do believe there are a few true Christians in that church, but not many. I believe the Catholic Church itself is blasphemous and not a legitimate Christian denomination at all.

That doesn't change the fact that the Pope, a very important world figure (Even if doctrinally evil) has stood in opposition to the war in Syria. Even if (This is extremely likely) the man is unregenerate, that doesn't change the fact that he's right on this issue.

Unless he isn't. Are you attacking him because he's Catholic, or because of something he actually said with regards to the issue?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    This pope is a badass.
    Yeah, he needs theme music.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-07-2013 at 12:01 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Pope's message was relayed to our parishioners at Mass today. Many upon many fasted and prayed yesterday for an end to war and a peaceful resolution to Syria. There is a huge undercurrent building against any kind of military solution, right now the topic is on everyone's lips.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    I'm not Catholic, but the more I hear from this pope, the more I like him.
    My thoughts exactly. I've pretty much liked everything he's done (at least, everything that I know of).
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]