Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Good Reasons to Stop Drinking Soda… Immediately

5 Good Reasons to Stop Drinking Soda… Immediately

5 Good Reasons to Stop Drinking Soda… Immediately

20th August 2013

By Joshua Corn

Guest Writer for Wake Up World

If drinking soda is one of your guilty pleasures, you should pause to think about what you’re really putting in your body each time you take a sip. Soft drinks — especially diet ones — are among the worst things you can put in your body. Drinking them will make you sick, fat and stupid.

Let me explain why…

Soda has been around for a very long time. So you may ask why, if it’s really so bad for us, we aren’t all dead yet? The fact is, the bottles of soda we’re drinking today are vastly different from — and vastly larger than — sodas of the past. Did you know that the original Coca-Cola bottle held only 6.5 ounces? And that for most people, drinking one was a special treat enjoyed on an occasional basis? Compare that to the common 20-ounce size that tens of millions of Americans now consume on a daily basis.

Size aside, the sodas of yesteryear were a relatively simple concoction of carbonated water, sugar, natural flavoring agents and naturally occurring acids. Compare this to most of today’s sodas, which are awash in highly refined sweeteners, synthetic additives, GMOs and other toxins that were never meant to be inside a human body. The results of this have been devastating to our health.

Anyone who wants to live a long, healthy and productive life should reconsider any soda drinking habit that involves more than occasional consumption. Ideally, you should avoid drinking soda entirely.

Here are 5 good reasons to stop drinking soda right away:

1. Formulated to make you fat:

Firstly, soda has virtually no nutritional value whatsoever. Zip, zero zilch. If you’re trying to cut down on calories, eliminating soda is a no-brainer. There are just no benefits other than the taste – and there are lots of healthy, great tasting alternatives … as I explain below.

Beyond the empty calories, research shows that the high fructose corn syrup found in soft drinks actually triggers a hunger hormone that causes you to consume more food than your body needs. Other research reveals disruptions to microflora in the intestines that could decrease nutrient absorption – meaning you need to eat more food to get the same nutrients. Lastly, if you think you’re doing yourself a favor by drinking diet soda, think again. You may have heard about the recent Purdue University study that linked diet sodas to the very same health problems caused by their sugary counterparts, including obesity, diabetes and heart disease. In fact, multiple studies show that that drinking diet soda actually makes you fatter!

But you don’t need science to prove that. Look around at the people drinking diet soda and ask yourself whether the “diet” is working.

2. Genetically modified mayhem:

In the old days, soda was sweetened with natural cane sugar. I’m not saying sugar is necessarily good for you, but the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) used today in most sodas makes cane sugar seem like a health food by comparison. One of the biggest problems with HFCS is that, since it’s derived from corn, and since most corn in the U.S. is genetically modified, its likely chock full of GMOs. Now Big Agra, Big Food and the Federal Government will tell you that GMO foods will save the world and guarantee a bountiful food supply. But remember, most corn has been genetically modified for a sole purpose – so it can survive being sprayed with ungodly amounts of pesticides and herbicides that would kill most living things. It’s a certainty that toxic residues of these pesticides and herbicides end up in the products made from corn, including HFCS. Toxins aside, GMOs are essentially a foreign body (a new strand of DNA) that your body doesn’t recognize, and more and more studies are surfacing linking GMOs to major health risks.

3. A bubbly bottle of carcinogens:

The consumption of soda is skyrocketing in this country. At the same time, cancer rates are on the rise across the spectrum. Is there a connection? Many sodas get their dark hue from what manufacturers call “caramel color.” Sounds innocuous right? Unfortunately, the synthetic chemicals used to make this coloring have been found to be carcinogenic according to consumer watchdog group, Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). Many countries have banned their use, but not the U.S. If the cancer-causing coloring isn’t enough to scare you, then consider the fact that diet sodas give you a deadly double whammy. In addition to the carcinogenic coloring, you also get artificial sweeteners, which are well-established carcinogens. Lastly, some believe that the GMOs that may be swimming in your soda are playing a role in the rising rates of cancer.

4. Really tasty toxins:

The world is awash in toxins, so if you can avoid drinking them you should. Oh where to start… Firstly, whether your soda comes in a plastic bottle or aluminum can, chances are the container is made or coated with BPA or a BPA derivative that is known to cause a variety of health problems. Secondly, most sodas are produced with low quality, unfiltered municipal tap water, which may contain undesirable levels of industrial runoff, pharmaceutical drug residues and other chemicals. Also, the HFCS used in most soda is highly processed and known to contain industrial chemical residues, including mercury. In fact, one study found mercury in over 50% of samples tested! Oh yeah, then there’s the fire retardant. Yep, many sodas contain an innocuous ingredient called “brominated vegetable oil,” which is widely used as a fire retardant in many industrial applications. At least you know your soda won’t catch fire.

5. Heart attacks, strokes and depression, oh my!:

The health consequences of drinking soda are numerous, but some are less obvious than others. For example, most people correlate soda consumption with obesity. And most people know that obesity is associated with a plethora of health problems including diabetes, hypertension and premature death. But you don’t need to be obese to experience the negative effects of soda. One study links the consumption of non-diet soda to a 20% higher risk of developing coronary heart disease. Another study showed that just one sugary beverage per day may significantly increase the risk of heart attacks. So is diet soda the solution? Not so fast. Other research links diet soda consumption with a 61% increase in strokes and heart attacks. Also, the artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas are known neurotoxins that can cause behavioral and cognitive problems. Speaking of your mind, not feeling so happy these days? One study shows that those who consume sweetened drinks face a higher risk of depression. The risk was shown to be even higher for those who drink diet sodas.

What To Do If You Really Like Soda

1. If you must drink soda, one sweetened with corn syrup is better than an artificially sweetened drink. At all costs, avoid diet sodas made with artificial sweeteners. In fact, just replace the word “Diet” with “Even Worse for You” in your head so you remember this. It’s not “Diet Soda,” it’s “Even Worse for You Soda.” More and more sodas are sweetened with cane sugar, which is a better choice than either high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. Still, please remember that any drink containing sugar provides “empty calories” and should be avoided.

2. If it’s just the carbonation you like, try good ol’ fashioned sparkling water. Just be careful because a lot of sparkling water (especially club soda) is made from unfiltered municipal water, so keep an eye on the water source. If it has lemon, lime or other fruit juice added, try to pick a drink that uses natural instead of artificial flavoring. Note: Some experts say that excessive consumption of carbonated beverages – even water – may leach minerals from your bones, so don’t overdo it.

3. My favorite solution is using a SodaStream machine to add carbonation to high quality filtered or spring water or organic juice. They are widely available online and in stores. My kids (and I) love it because we can make all types of drinks that are refreshing and healthy. My only tip would be to upgrade to the glass bottles so you can avoid using plastic!

4. Fall in love with water all over again. In terms of beverages in my house, we don’t have anything except spring water, organic milk and occasionally organic juice as a special treat. I enjoy watching how much my kids LOVE water – it’s really all they know in terms of satisfying their thirst. Most of us were like this when we were young, but somehow we drifted away and got stuck in a paradigm in which a meal isn’t a meal without some kind of sweet beverage to accompany it. Start drinking high quality spring water and you’ll realize just how delicious it is, and how amazing it makes you feel.

Sources:
    http://www.liveinthenow.com/article/...ugar-addiction
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...soda-drinkers/
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...syrup-dangers/
    http://grist.org/scary-food/2011-02-...soda-kill-you/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I drink soda. A LOT of soda.... probably my biggest vice.

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    I drink soda. A LOT of soda.... probably my biggest vice.
    Try getting Newman's Lemonade - or any of the pop at the natural food store - and mix with Gerolsteiner water - 1:1

Cuts down on the sugar and Gerolsteiner seems to have the best ratio of minerals that the body needs.
    Last edited by Eagles' Wings; 08-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.

I like soda. Not giving it up.

What's the point? I'm not convinced life will actually be worth it when I'm 70 anyway, or if the world will even last that long.

That said, I don't drink diet. Ugh.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

What's the point? I'm not convinced life will actually be worth it when I'm 70 anyway, or if the world will even last that long.

Inflammation, diabetes, osteoarthritis, can begin at a very young age. There are so many delicious alternatives.

Eagles' Wings

Are you drinking it for the caffeine?

Cracking a Diet Mountain Dew to toast this thread! ANd to wake up a little...

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    lol

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Are you drinking it for the caffeine?
    Generally not. I don't drink it every day either, although I sometimes drink a lot at once when I do drink it.

You're not going to be able to convince me to give it up, so don't try
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Sometimes I see different brands near "Organic" sections of stores like Krogers.

I have tried Virgil's Microbrewed Rootbeer and I think for soda it's a decent product.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...0052&langId=-1

With 100% natural ingredients imported from all corners of the world. Gluten free. Originally brewed in the north of England, Virgil's is made with natural ingredients - nutmeg, imported anise, and wintergreen. The brewing process gives Virgil's a rich, creamy body and a taste so pure, you'll swear it's made in heaven. Winner of the International Fancy Food and Confection Show's Outstanding Beverage Award in 1994 and 1996. Contains no preservatives and no caffeine.

Ingredients
    Virgil's is a Superb Blend of Spiced & Herbs Gathered From the World Over, Anise, Licorice, Vanilla (Bourbon) Cinnamon, Clove, Wintergreen, Sweet Birch, Molasses, Nutmeg, Pimento Berry Oil, Balsam Oil and Oil of Cassia. Contains Purified Carbonated Water, Unbleached Cane Sugar, Caramelized Unrefined Cane Sugar, Herbs, Spices and Citric Acid.

If you drink sodas and not eat nutritionally (Non-GMOs) your body will start to brake down piece by piece. Most of the country is severely nutrient deficient--this is what causes degenerate diseases. All can be reversed if you give your body what it needs. I do not want to grow old in pain and suffering.
    Last edited by donnay; 08-29-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    If you drink sodas and not eat nutritionally (Non-GMOs) your body will start to brake down piece by piece. Most of the country is severely nutrient deficient--this is what causes degenerate diseases. All can be reversed if you give your body what it needs. I do not want to grow old in pain a suffering.
    I've been trying to eat more nutritiously (Less carbs, more protein) and I don't drink soda daily.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Fizzy neon green colored water YUM. What a way to start a day. Do you eat that with green eggs and ham?

When I was in the Navy I was on a Bacardi-n-Coke binge for a couple of years, other than that I don't care for them at all.

My boy won't touch soda either but both of us drink sweet-tea like true Southerners..

5 reasons??

1: 40g of sugar per serving
    2: 40g of sugar per serving
    3: 40g of sugar per serving
    4: 40g of sugar per serving
    5: you get the point...
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

I've tried giving up diet soda. It's friggin' impossible! Quitting smoking was way easier! I'm not sure what they've done to me, but it's worked. I can't even drink the regular stuff because it tastes like straight sugar and my teeth get all gritty feeling.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What else am I going to put my rum in?
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I've tried giving up diet soda. It's friggin' impossible! Quitting smoking was way easier! I'm not sure what they've done to me, but it's worked. I can't even drink the regular stuff because it tastes like straight sugar and my teeth get all gritty feeling.
    you may be addicted physically to the methyl alcohol that is a metabolic byproduct of the ingestion of aspartame..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I enjoy watching how much my kids LOVE water – it’s really all they know in terms of satisfying their thirst.
    It true, the one thing my kid will routinely eat/drink, swallow and exclaim "Delicious!" is water. Dunno where he learned it; but water is the only thing that evokes that reaction consistently.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 08-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    you may be addicted physically to the methyl alcohol that is a metabolic byproduct of the ingestion of aspartame..
    I'm sure I am. ANy suggestions? Cold turkey is rough.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I've been trying to eat more nutritiously (Less carbs, more protein) and I don't drink soda daily.
    I would say not drinking soda daily is actually pretty good.

That means you can spend a little bit extra and get the high quality stuff with cane sugar, or that is organic or made with stevia (like Zevia), though this will taste more like diet soda it's not bad for you.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It true, the one thing my kid will routinely eat/drink, swallow and exclaim "Delicious!" is water. Dunno where he learned it; but water is the only thing that evokes that reaction consistently.
    Ya water should really be your main source of fluid. I usually only order water at restaurants don't drink very much else.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm sure I am. ANy suggestions? Cold turkey is rough.
    Zevia has a dr. pepper (dr. zevia) that is damn good, it's made with stevia and some type of alcohol sugar like erythritol which is not great for you but not as bad as other diet soda or even sugar.. It has some natural caffeine as well. It tastes sorta like a diet soda, though I prefer it to diet soda.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Zevia has a dr. pepper (dr. zevia) that is damn good, it's made with stevia and some type of alcohol sugar like erythritol which is not great for you but not as bad as other diet soda or even sugar.. It has some natural caffeine as well. It tastes sorta like a diet soda, though I prefer it to diet soda.
    Stevia tastes like ass. I suggest coffee or tea as a replacement.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would say not drinking soda daily is actually pretty good.

That means you can spend a little bit extra and get the high quality stuff with cane sugar, or that is organic or made with stevia (like Zevia), though this will taste more like diet soda it's not bad for you.
    I don't ever drink it at home, but if I'm out I'll hit a 7-11 and get some.

I like the full sugar cokes a lot, I like those better than the regular ones actually, but I wouldn't want to drink anything that tastes like diet

I'm freaking hoping for an early death. Get me off this ride already.

Great info !!! I believe soft drinks are highly addictive as well. My husband drinks anywhere between eight cans and twelve cans of Coke per day, and has every day for the past 15 years. Outside of a morning cup of coffee, Coke is the ONLY thing he will drink and there is always an open can on his desk.

This might explain a lot regarding irritability, mood swings, dental conditions, etc.

Funny that the author's name is "Corn".
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Zebia doesn't have Stevia. It has a Stevia extract called Reb A. Before the properties of Reb A were known, studies tried to show that it had the beneficial properties stevia has, but they failed to do so. Reb A was created because it could be patented, so that if it happened to have an advantage over Stevia, Monsanto could profit. Alas, Reb A doesn't have such benefits. In fact, it doesn't even have the benefits stevia has! And people are consuming worthless crap that's the result of a failed corrupt money-making scheme.
    Last edited by jj-; 09-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Oh, and by the way, sugar is good. Diet soda is crap. A coke made with sugar doesn't have the minerals or vitamins that other beverages, say, natural orange juice, have. However, it's much better than the diet version. Sugar is beneficial. If the thyroid is working well, the body can process and benefit from consuming sugar. However, polyunsaturated fats interfere with thyroid function, and since they're ubiquitous in the diet due to their presence in vegetable oils, many people can't process sugar. But it's not sugar's fault. It's because people consume polyunsaturated fats. If they stop, the body will replace its fats with saturated fats slowly, and then the body will be able to process and benefit from sugar again. Sugar metabolism is superior to fat metabolism. The body produces energy from sugar with less stress and harmful byproducts than from fat.
    Last edited by jj-; 09-04-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast