Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than 100 lawmakers ask Obama to seek congressional approval on Syria strikes

More than 100 lawmakers ask Obama to seek congressional approval on Syria strikes

It's looking more and more like Obama is planning on having the strikes happen without getting any type of congressional authorization or approval, probably most likely because he would lose the vote like it looks like is happening in the UK right now which may end up causing a delay in the attack until early next week. In any case I was reading this article and noticed my congressman wasn't on the list of people that signed a letter urging Obama to come to congress to get approval before any action is made. I know this may all be for show but we should still pressure our lawmakers to at the very least speak out in some way even if it is limited that the process is not being followed and the office of the President is acting on it's own without hearing the voice of the people.

After having read this article I sent a letter to my congressman urging him to stop being silent on this issue and step up and demand that congress be involved in the process as it should be by law. If your congressman is not listed here either, you may want to consider doing the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...syria-strikes/

More than 100 House lawmakers — at least 98 Republicans and 18 Democrats — have signed on to a letter formally requesting that President Obama seek congressional approval for any military response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

The letter, first written by Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.), suggests that failure to seek congressional authorization for military strikes would be unconstitutional. (Read more about the letter in this previous Post Politics report.)

“I’m grateful and encouraged by the strong, bipartisan support this letter has received,” Rigell said in a statement Wednesday. “It’s a clear indication that this issue is not personal to the president, but rather represents common ground in Congress and a deep respect for the Constitution.”

The request by hundreds of lawmakers came as House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) also formally requested in a letter that Obama “provide a clear, unambiguous explanation of how military action — which is a means, not a policy — will secure U.S. objectives and how it fits into your overall policy” regarding the situation in Syria.

A list of the co-signers, as provided by Rigell’s office, appears below. Members whose names appear in italics are Democrats:

Rep. Scott Rigell (VA-02)

Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05)

Rep. Mo Brooks (AL-05)

Rep. Scott Garrett (NJ-05)

Rep. Tom McClintock (CA-04)

Rep. Tom Marino (PA-10)

Rep. Dan Benishek (MI-01)

Rep. Tom Rooney (FL-17)

Rep. Steve Pearce (NM-02)

Rep. Tim Griffin (AR-02)

Rep. Justin Amash (MI-03)

Rep. Raul Labrador (ID-01)

Rep. Joseph Pitts (PA-16)

Rep. Trent Franks (AZ-08)

Rep. John Campbell (CA-45)

Rep. Paul Gosar (AZ-04)

Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (GA-03)

Rep. Joe Wilson (SC-02)

Rep. Charles Boustany (LA-03)

Rep. Tom Cole (OK-04)

Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)

Rep. Austin Scott (GA-08)

Rep. Bill Posey (FL-08)

Rep. Randy Forbes (VA-04)

Rep. Phil Gingrey (GA-11)

Rep. David Roe (TN-01)

Rep. Mark Sanford (SC-01)

Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr. (TN-02)

Rep. Reid Ribble (WI-08)

Rep. James Lankford (OK-05)

Rep. Bill Cassidy (LA-06)

Rep. Stephen Fincher (TN-08)

Rep. Trey Radel (FL-19)

Rep. Chris Stewart (UT-02)

Rep. Lynn Jenkins (KS-02)

Rep. Jeff Duncan (SC-03)

Rep. David McKinley (WV-01)

Rep. Gus Bilirakis (FL-12)

Rep. Joseph Heck (NV-03)

Rep. Dennis Ross (FL-15)

Rep. Billy Long (MO-07)

Rep. Randy Hultgren (IL-14)

Rep. Steven Palazzo (MS-04)

Rep. Kevin Yoder (KS-03)

Rep. Doug Collins (GA-09)

Rep. Michael Fitzpatrick (PA-08)

Rep. Beto O’Rourke (TX-16)

Rep. Zoe Lofgren (CA-19)

Rep. Peter DeFazio (OR-04)

Rep. Kurt Schrader (OR-5)

Rep. Rush Holt (NJ-12)

Rep. William Enyart (IL-12)

Rep. Timothy Walz (MN-01)

Rep. Christopher Gibson (NY-19)

Rep. Trey Gowdy (SC-04)

Rep. Frank Wolf (VA-10)

Rep. Michael Capuano (MA-07)

Rep. Michael Simpson (ID-02)

Rep. Michael McCaul (TX-10)

Rep. Thomas E. Petri (WI-06)

Rep. Robert Pittenger (NC-09)

Rep. Walter Jones (NC-03)

Rep. Tom Latham (IA-03)

Rep. Richard Nolan (MN-08)

Rep. Jim McDermott (WA-07)

Rep. Kerry Bentivolio (MI-11)

Rep. Mike Coffman (CO-06)

Rep. Sean Duffy (WI-07)

Rep. Bruce Braley (IA-01)

Rep. Morgan Griffith (VA-09)

Rep. Brad Wenstrup (OH-02)

Rep. Mark Amodei (NV-02)

Rep. Roger Williams (TX-25)

Rep. Doug LaMalfa (CA-01)

Rep. Brett Guthrie (KY-02)

Rep. Sam Farr (CA-20)

Rep. Steve Daines (MT-At Large)

Rep. Robert Hurt (VA-05)

Rep. Steve Southerland, II (FL-2)

Rep. Michele Bachmann (MN-06)

Rep. Ralph Hall (TX-04)

Rep. Randy Neugebauer (TX-19)

Rep. Robert Wittman (VA-01)

Rep. Anna Eshoo (CA-18)

Rep. David Schweikert (AZ-06)

Rep. Todd Rokita (IN-4)

Rep. David Loebsack (IA-02)

Rep. Scott Tipton (CO-03)

Rep. Frank LoBiondo (NJ-02)

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (OR-03)

Rep. Sam Johnson (TX-03)

Rep. Tom Price (GA-06)

Rep. Mark Meadows (NC-11)

Rep. Paul Broun (GA-10)

Rep. Markwayne Mullin (OK-02)

Rep. Steve Stockman (TX-36)

Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner (WI-05)

Rep. Chris Collins (NY-27)

Rep. Diane Black (TN-06)

Rep. Daniel Webster (FL-10)

Rep. Peter Welch (VT)

Rep. Lou Barletta (PA-11)

Rep. Tim Murphy (PA-18)

Rep. Gregg Harper (MS-03)

Rep. Jim Jordan (OH-04)

Rep. Ted S. Yoho (FL-03)

Rep. Bill Flores (TX-17)

Rep. Michael Burgess (TX-26)

Rep. Jim Matheson (UT-04)

Rep. Cory Gardner (CO-04)

Rep. Alan Nunnelee (MS-01)

Rep. Jason Smith (MO-08)

Rep. Charles Fleischmann (TN-03)

Rep. Tim Walberg (MI-07)

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (TN-07)

Rep. Collin Peterson (MN-7)
    Last edited by orenbus; 08-29-2013 at 02:31 AM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's odd, I see Michelle Bachmann on that list but I don't see Massie, not that I don't trust him (he already expressed his views to Ben Swann in an interview). Just odd that's he's not on the list.

John McCain and Rand not on the list? thats a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    That's odd, I see Michelle Bachmann on that list but I don't see Massie, not that I don't trust him (he already expressed his views to Ben Swann in an interview). Just odd that's he's not on the list.
    Not sure why he has not signed on yet.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    It's the House, not the Senate.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Hmm this is interesting was just looking at Rigell's page on the house.gov website and noticed he re-posted a story from Prison Planet, isn't that Alex Jones?

http://rigell.house.gov/news/documen...umentID=347015

As far as Amash not signing yet, he may not even know the letter exists, it seems this is all moving really fast so even if his office has been contacted he himself may not know yet as well as some other congressmen.
    Last edited by orenbus; 08-29-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Here is the PDF of the actual letter:

http://rigell.house.gov/uploadedfile...ignatories.pdf

Ask?

WTF!

War requires a declaration by congress, these mealy mouthed $#@!ing lawyers in suits don't ask the prez to do his job according to the constitution they swore to uphold, in order to represent me they'll demand it!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My rep (Mo Brooks) signed. I'll give him that at least.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If these guys really had any determination, they would call for the immediate arrest and detention of Obama and his cabinet for crimes against the constitution. In my perfect world imagination, Mace Windu would cart Obama's ass off to a federal prison . . . if only .

Yea I can't believe 2 Senators haven't signed onto a letter intended for members in the House of Representatives. It is truly a shocking revelation and we can thank you for pointing it out. So, Thank You...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ask?

WTF!

War requires a declaration by congress, these mealy mouthed $#@!ing lawyers in suits don't ask the prez to do his job according to the constitution they swore to uphold, in order to represent me they'll demand it!
    Yeah, but figure they only got ~100 signers so far on this weak language, and they really need 218. Tighten the language and we might be down to 50. Pisses me off too but it is what it is. If I were working strategy I'd prepare both, an ask and a demand. Run the ask up the flagpole and try to get +218 wait for O-bummer to ignore it and then run the demand up the flagpole, where it is more likely to get the 218 now that the ask was ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Yeah, but figure they only got ~100 signers so far on this weak language, and they really need 218. Tighten the language and we might be down to 50. Pisses me off too but it is what it is. If I were working strategy I'd prepare both, an ask and a demand. Run the ask up the flagpole and try to get +218 wait for O-bummer to ignore it and then run the demand up the flagpole, where it is more likely to get the 218 now that the ask was ignored.
    They're like a bunch of little girls when they're dealing with each other but when it comes to dealing with one of us they'll send in the troops in APC's with machine guns.

I am not, and haven't been, represented in DC my entire life......

Wow, asking. What strength of character and conviction. What machismo!

Strong bipartisan support? Is Rigell a complete wanking idiot?

Not impressed.

When the War Powers act is repealed I will begin to be impressed in a favorable direction.

When Obama is impeached I will be marginally more impressed.

When he is tried for treason, convicted, and publicly hung from a tree on the White House grounds, televised for the world to see, then I will say we have men of minimally sound fabric doing their jobs in Congress.

Until then, this is all bull$#@! - an attempt by corrupt girly-men to make a hopelessly unconvincing show of sand to their constituents, many of whom probably are just about stupid enough to buy it.
    Last edited by osan; 08-29-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post

As far as Amash not signing yet, he may not even know the letter exists, it seems this is all moving really fast so even if his office has been contacted he himself may not know yet as well as some other congressmen.
    Amash is on the list at the link in the OP. 11th name on the completely un-ordered list. I mean, they could have at least arranged them by state.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Amash is on the list at the link in the OP. 11th name on the completely un-ordered list. I mean, they could have at least arranged them by state.
    Doh my bad, I meant Massie not Amash.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ask?

WTF!

Exactly! How about instead of asking, they notify Obama that any acts of war on his own will result in an impeachment proceeding?
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 08-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I don't watch or listen to "The-Newz", so is anybody else asking demurely if the-prez will please abide by the oath he took, or is this issue swept under the rug already?

They're Senators, this list is only House members.

I hope they are not asking for a debate and vote so they can just go ahead and rubber stamp an authorization for war. Anyway good for them, put pressure on the rabid war dog of a president.

Yeah, my reps on the list. It should be more firm of a letter, though.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Rep. Barbara Lee wrote a similar letter with 53 Democrats signing on.

http://lee.house.gov/sites/lee.house...bama_Syria.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Rep. Barbara Lee wrote a similar letter with 53 Democrats signing on.

http://lee.house.gov/sites/lee.house...bama_Syria.pdf
    She starts out well drawing on congress and the constitution but quickly goes straight to hell by even acknowledging the UN.

Just who in the hell are the UN to dictate to or even advise our congress?

These limp-wristed, mealy mouthed suits DO NOT represent me!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In light of what has happened in UK, politically I don't see the idea that far fetched that the same thing may happen here if our congress finds it's backbone and passes something to stop military action. Once it comes back into session if the attacks haven't happened prior to congress coming back, perhaps something can happen, unfortunately attacks seem more likely to unfold once the UN inspectors leave on Saturday if something doesn't happen quickly.
    Last edited by orenbus; 08-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.

The letter co-signers have increased from 116 to 140 in the last 12 hours:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-syria-strikes

The letter has been updated with new signers here in this new PDF, I'm happy to now see my district congressman has signed on.

I might be missing it, but still see no Massie from what I can tell, anyone here a constituent, or can contact his office to request he sign the letter? I know it doesn't have the strongest language but the effort to stop Obama needs to start somewhere in Washington and this is the only organized effort I see so far that is happening.

http://rigell.house.gov/uploadedfile...ignatories.pdf
    Last edited by orenbus; 08-29-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Of course my "representative" Mac Thornberry isn't on the list. His job is dependent on weapons manufacturer lobbyists and the dead bodies they profit from.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Of course my "representative" Mac Thornberry isn't on the list. His job is dependent on weapons manufacturer lobbyists and the dead bodies they profit from.
    That's why I was pleased to see my guy on the list. We've got Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, and many others in the district.
    Last edited by BamaAla; 08-30-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    pretty please with sugar on top?
    This is the impression I get from our Congress as well. Pretty please with sugar on top Obama. Please! Please!
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast