Thread: Study Suggests Violent Video Games May Make Teens Less Violent

Default Study Suggests Violent Video Games May Make Teens Less Violent

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/0...s-less-violent

"A new paper is out in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence which shows no positive correlation between playing violent video games and acts of aggression. The study of 377 children with attention deficit and depressive symptoms in fact showed a slight negative correlation between video game-playing and aggressive behavior such as bullying, which the researchers posit is due to the games awarding some measure of catharsis. The full paper is available online (PDF)."
    There is one problem I do have with Video Games. They never explain how their fictional wars got started to begin with, thus, never make children realize that Banks are behind most wars.

I was gonna finish this post but I got to kill some more Nazi Zombies...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintian an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

You are Ron Paul's Media!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'd only add that in real WAR there is no respawn. I don't like a majority of these games and so will probably not change my opinion of them. I think they are indoctrination tools regardless of any paper someone scribbled up and will continue to actively lobby against the practice of advertising to youth...which is esentially my main gripe with the whole thing.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Carpe Diem!

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/0...s-less-violent

There is one problem I do have with Video Games. They never explain how their fictional wars got started to begin with, thus, never make children realize that Banks are behind most wars.

I was gonna finish this post but I got to kill some more Nazi Zombies...
    I don't see it as the job of a video game programmer to teach that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I'd only add that in real WAR there is no respawn. I don't like a majority of these games and so will probably not change my opinion of them. I think they are indoctrination tools regardless of any paper someone scribbled up and will continue to actively lobby against the practice of advertising to youth...which is esentially my main gripe with the whole thing.
    Nobody needed to advertise Quake to me, stopping advertising would do little to nothing because most kids play games their friends play.

I agree that SOME games are purposely designed by the military industrial complex as propaganda tools, but generally violent games provide a great outlet for kids to live out any violent fantasies they may have on the computer.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

CAUTION!! The following members openly support George Soros propaganda: CPUd, TheCount, ZippyJuan, undergroundrr, twomp

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I don't see it as the job of a video game programmer to teach that kind of stuff.
    Everybody's job is to teach that stuff, I just highly doubt that a big video game company would be allowed to to do so.

CAUTION!! The following members openly support George Soros propaganda: CPUd, TheCount, ZippyJuan, undergroundrr, twomp

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

All I know is endless hours of Team Fortress Classic and violent movies made me become a very non-violent person.

Depends on the lag.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Depends on the lag.
    Meh.. I used to play Quake on a 56k...and probably even a 28.8 at some point.